Thread: Dr ANGELIQUE COETZEE, who discovered Omicron says we are over-reacting

Dr ANGELIQUE COETZEE, who discovered Omicron says we are over-reacting

Dr ANGELIQUE COETZEE, who discovered Omicron says we are over-reacting

As chair of the South African Medical Association and a GP of 33 years’ standing, I have seen a lot over my medical career.

But nothing has prepared me for the extraordinary global reaction that met my announcement this week that I had seen a young man in my surgery who had a case of Covid that turned out to be the Omicron variant.

This version of the virus had been circulating in southern Africa for some time, having been previously identified in Botswana.

But given my public-facing role, by announcing its presence in my own patient, I unwittingly brought it to global attention.

Quite simply, I have been stunned at the response – and especially from Britain.

And let me be clear: nothing I have seen about this new variant warrants the extreme action the UK government has taken in response to it.

No one here in South Africa is known to have been hospitalised with the Omicron variant, nor is anyone here believed to have fallen seriously ill with it.

Yet Britain and other European nations have reacted with heavy travel restrictions on flights from across southern Africa, as well as imposing tighter rules at home on mask-wearing, fines and extended quarantines.

The simple truth is: we don’t know yet anywhere near enough about Omicron to make such judgments or to impose such policies.

In South Africa, we’ve retained a sense of perspective. We’ve had no new regulations or talk of lockdowns because we’re waiting to see what the variant actually means.

We’ve also become accustomed here to new Covid variants emerging. So when our scientists confirmed the discovery of yet another, nobody made a huge thing of it. Many people didn’t even notice.

But after Britain heard about it, the global picture started to change.

Even as our scientists tried to point out the huge gaps in the world’s knowledge about this variant, European nations immediately and unilaterally banned travel from this part of the world.
    If, as some evidence suggests, Omicron turns out to be a fast-spreading virus with mostly mild symptoms for the majority of the people who catch it, that would be a useful step on the road to herd immunity.
    Here in South Africa, what I and my GP colleagues are seeing doesn’t in any way warrant the knee-jerk reaction we’ve seen from the UK.

For one thing, we’re not – at least for now – treating patients who are severely ill.

Take my first Omicron case, the young man I mentioned earlier. It didn’t occur to him that he had Covid: he thought he’d had too much sun after working outside. After he tested positive, so did his wife and four-month-old baby.
    Only yesterday, I saw five more patients who had tested positive for the new variant. They all had a very mild illness.

So, at the moment, I’m afraid it seems to me that Britain is merely hyping up the alarm about this variant unnecessarily.
    More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...ng-threat.html
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Politicians have to overreact or else they won't be able to sell fear.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Just this year's common cold. Only Pavlov's dogs are freaking out about it.
    "Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?"--Will Rogers

"All I know is what I read in the newspapers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance."--Will Rogers

But, but.......

Boogity-boogity!

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Just this year's common cold. Only Pavlov's dogs are freaking out about it.
    There is no more cold and flu, only covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Politicians have to overreact or else they won't be able to sell fear.
    This. + rep.

It seems too obvious, but this is the truth. Fear gives these monsters everything they want. When people are afraid, they actually ask politicians to take their money and their liberty. Does it work? Doesn't matter. Fear is like crack cocaine to politicians.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire