Thread: YouTube is removing the dislike count on all videos across its platform

Thumbs down YouTube is removing the dislike count on all videos across its platform

YouTube is removing the dislike count on all videos across its platform

Sarah Perez
    November 10, 2021

YouTube today announced its decision to make the “dislike” count on videos private across its platform. The decision is likely to be controversial given the extent that it impacts the public’s visibility into a video’s reception. But YouTube believes the change will better protect its creators from harassment and reduce the threat of what it calls “dislike attacks” — essentially, when a group teams up to drive up the number of dislikes a video receives.

The company says that while dislike counts won’t be visible to the public, it’s not removing the dislike button itself. Users can still click the thumbs down button on videos to signal their dislike to creators privately. Meanwhile, creators will be able to track their dislikes in YouTube Studio alongside other analytics about their video’s performance, if they choose.

The change follows an experiment YouTube ran earlier this year whose goal was to determine if these sorts of changes would reduce dislike attacks and creator harassment.

read more:
    https://techcrunch.com/2021/11/10/yo...-its-platform/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LIKE THIS COMMENT TO DOWNVOTE

Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonB View Post
    LIKE THIS COMMENT TO DOWNVOTE
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    //
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Gee I wonder if all of the dislikes on every video on the White House Youtube channel is connected to this.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Gee I wonder if all of the dislikes on every video on the White House Youtube channel is connected to this.
    Found footage of Biden's Presidential Daily Briefing:

Good idea but pretty soon you won't be able to do that either I'm sure, as that word will be "filtered". Eventually they will completely eliminate the comment section probably.

I am really pissed off at this more than anything else google has ever done.

Downvotes when allowed are going to happen. Jesus walking on water would get downvoted by some. You can please some of the people all of the time but never all the people.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Good idea but pretty soon you won't be able to do that either I'm sure, as that word will be "filtered". Eventually they will completely eliminate the comment section probably.
    I don't think YouTube will have to go quite that far. That functionality already exists on a per-video basis. (The White House, Disney and others already disable comments altogether on some of their videos.)

Then again, they could have allowed disabling the publicly visible dislike count on a per-video basis, too. But instead, they made it universal and non-optional. Obviously, that's because disabling the dislike count on individual videos would just draw attention to the fact that the dislike count was being hidden. By forcing it on everyone, they provide cover to the ones who actually want to conceal how much their content is disliked.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    I am really pissed off at this more than anything else google has ever done.
    On the bright side, by doing this they are just applying hermetic sealant to the cracks in their echo-chamber bubbles. As a result, they'll just make themselves even more obliviously lacking in self-awareness than they already are - and that isn't going to end well for them.

New metrics may also evolve. For example, a high subscriber count with a low view count is often used to indicate mockworthy content. Perhaps a low like-to-subscriber or like-to-view ratio will serve the same purpose.

As was famously said, the Internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.

The Law of Unintended Consequences may yet bite them in the ass.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-02-2021 at 12:27 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We've known for years the dislike counter was innacurate.
    It would happen regularly. You'd see a video titled "indigenous woman saving drowning puppies" and there would be excellent production values, scripting, and delivery, on a topic no human being could hate, and there would be 40 dislikes and the first eighteen comments would be "OMG HOW CAN ANYONE DISLIKE THIS"

Because nobody understood that the 'dislike' button is also used for "I was searching for documentation on the Rwandan genocide and given this has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked for apart from the 'indigenous' keyword I am going to interact with the algorithm in the only way I have available to make sure this sort of video is less likely to autoplay for me".

I know all the algorithm crap is a lot newer than the 'dislike' but we have to realize
    a) It's nothing to do with the White House
    b) The actual reason for hiding the counter are to keep you further distracted from what's going on with the algorithm, which is quite a bit more nefarious a reason.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

NSFW

Whatever they want to do. Good luck. Their platform.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Whatever they want to do. Good luck. Their platform.
    I would agree if they were not an appendage of the infinite-money fountain in DC... that also happens to have enormous opinion-shaping power in our country whose government is primarily determined by... popular opinion. I certainly don't think "regulation" or "intervention" would solve anything, here (just more of the same disease), but I don't think YT or any of these Big Tech companies are merely "private free enterprise", on any construction.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonB View Post
    I would agree if they were not an appendage of the infinite-money fountain in DC... that also happens to have enormous opinion-shaping power in our country whose government is primarily determined by... popular opinion. I certainly don't think "regulation" or "intervention" would solve anything, here (just more of the same disease), but I don't think YT or any of these Big Tech companies are merely "private free enterprise", on any construction.
    I would allow an amendment on that that taking government money outside of normal tax discounts etc. (I do think advertising should be excluded) would disqualify you of not upholding freedom of speech in its full glory. Apologies, forgot that part. I'm sorry .
    "I am a bird"

As was famously said, the Internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
    Browser Extension Brings Back Dislike Count to YouTube Videos
    The extension uses Google's API to archive the dislike count for videos and repost them.
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/browser-e...youtube-videos
    Michael Kan (29 November 2021)

If you miss seeing the dislike count on YouTube videos, consider checking out this browser extension, which can bring the function back.

A software developer named Dmitry Selivanov has created an open-source extension for Chrome and Firefox that can re-add the dislike count to videos across YouTube.

The extension, dubbed “Return YouTube Dislike,” has already attracted more than 50,000 users, according to the Chrome Web Store. The software is an early alpha version, but it works as intended: load up a YouTube video, and the extension re-adds the dislike count to the clip.

The extension is able to pull the dislike count by accessing Google’s own YouTube API, which opens third-party access to the video platform. So you should see accurate dislike counts, not just an estimate.

The bad news is that Google plans on shutting down the API on Dec. 13. As a result, Selivanov has been archiving dislike counts for various videos across the platform. Once the API goes offline, the extension will “switch to using a combination of archived dislike stats, estimates extrapolated from extension user data and estimates based on view/like ratios for videos whose dislikes weren't archived and for outdated dislike archives,” the FAQ for the extension says.

So expect the accuracy to drop over time, especially for newly uploaded videos. In addition, the dislike counts on the extension won’t be shown in real-time. Instead, the current version of the software will only update them once every two to three days.

The other issue concerns privacy. In order to function, the extension needs permission to read and change data when your browser loads up YouTube. The FAQ also notes the extension will collect the IDs to which videos users are watching, but only at an aggregate level.

"We're not collecting any private data," Selivanov tells PCMag in an email. “We don't even know the exact number of users (only the numbers provided by Chrome store and Firefox store)—since we don't store anything user-related. We only store publicly available dislike counts."

“Later, when we start collecting actual votes made by extension users—we won't be storing this data in an identifiable way—just anonymous IDs,” he added.

Selivanov created the extension because the dislike count helped him determine whether a YouTube video was worth watching. “I mostly use YouTube for educational videos and tutorials—so not being able to see dislikes in these categories was quite hindering,” he said.

It's a sentiment shared by many other users, including one of YouTube’s co-founders. “The ability to easily and quickly identify bad content is an essential feature of a user-generated content platform,” wrote YouTube co-founder Jawed Karim earlier this month; he called the platform's decision to remove the dislike count a "stupid idea."

Nevertheless, YouTube decided to hide the function over concerns the same feature was being abused for harassment. Now only uploaders of a YouTube clip can privately view the dislike count to their videos through the platform's official systems.

The Ministers of Propaganda will allow no dissent. Most all propaganda in the written media have disabled comments for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    The Ministers of Propaganda will allow no dissent. Most all propaganda in the written media have disabled comments for the same reason.
    Nearly the same reason, but not quite. Dislikes demonstrate that their useful idiots aren't half as legion as they like to let on. Comment sections are what we used to use in 2008 to explain how evil they are, eloquently and convincingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I bet if we ever get a president that is more liked than disliked again, Youtube will change their policy and bring back the dislike count.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge