Thread: What if The Buddha had no followers?

What if The Buddha had no followers?

Just a question that has been stuck in my mind for the longest time now. Not that I particularly want to know about The Buddha specifically, but more whether or not being enlightened to our reality means anything at the end of the day, if you are the only one around you who sees reality this way? Let's say hypothetically you find out the actual, real truth behind our reality and the secrets are now yours. Now lets say that no one in your world will listen, and you live out the rest of your life knowing all these great things but with no one else to share in their existence. When you die and move on, what would having that knowledge have meant in the end? What if Buddha had no followers, and died a lonely old man that prattled on about this and that his whole life? What would his enlightenment really have meant?
    "The issue is that you to define the best candidate solely based upon what they stand for." - CaptLouAlbano

This is the mindset trying to take hold on RPF.

"Kelly Thomas did this to himself." - FrankRep

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No real way of knowing for others but there is a certain personal contentment that may be achieved once you understand the order of things. I dont think you have to hsve followers or teach to those who most likely wont learn to enjoy it . Is it going to pass when you do ? Yes but the example you lived for others may or may not. I dont let it detract from my joy.
    Do something Danke

Sure, personal happiness has nothing to do with any one else. But aside from that, what I mean is, what's the point of going through the process of seeing beyond the material aspect of our reality if you're the only one around thats willing to see it? Eventually, seeing the beauty of the world in a blade of grass is going to get stale. Without another soul to connect with on a non superficial level, what is the point?
    "The issue is that you to define the best candidate solely based upon what they stand for." - CaptLouAlbano

Hasnt gotten stale for me I guess. I am very old . I have little expectations from other humans
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    "If" is not.
    huh?

buddha, you fat $#@!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by belian78 View Post
    huh?
    Doesn't the title of your post say What "IF"?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Doesn't the title of your post say What "IF"?
    You're trying to be witty here and unfortunately it's too witty for me I guess. All I'm asking is a speculation, same question I've asked Christian leaders, Buddhist leaders, spiritual leaders and have yet to get an answer. I get 'funny little quips' as you see here, but no one is willing to actually engage in the question that I'm asking.

You're trying to be witty here and unfortunately it's too witty for me I guess. All I'm asking is a speculation, same question I've asked Christian leaders, Buddhist leaders, spiritual leaders and have yet to get an answer. I get 'funny little quips' as you see here, but no one is willing to actually engage in the question that I'm asking.
    I am witty I am not trying. Listen Buddha and Christ both have followers. If they did not exist they would be invented because people need guidance. If they did not have followers people would find someone else to follow. Consider this people are following Hilary and Trump because they do not follow Christ or Buddha. Look at the results of that....

I wonder where his followers are following him to.

What if the state had No Followers?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

And I still have no answer to my question.

If the Buddha had no followers he would not have been called the Buddha.

He was given the title of Buddha a couple of centuries after his death because he had acquired a large following, not the other way around.

You are confusing "enlightenment" with what in these forums we might call "finding out what is really going on".

"Enlightenment" is defined as:

• the action or state of attaining or having attained spiritual knowledge or insight, in particular (in Buddhism) that awareness which frees a person from the cycle of rebirth.
    • Buddhism: a final blessed state marked by the absence of desire or suffering

If the Buddha ended up a lonely old man and had spent his whole life prattling on about this and that, my conclusion would be that he had not attained enlightenment at all.

You are getting unsatisfying answers because you are asking poor questions.
    Last edited by Intrepid; 11-28-2021 at 07:20 AM.

And I still have no answer to my question.
    likely never will

You will reject any metric that does not stroke your ego enough.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    likely never will

You will reject any metric that does not stroke your ego enough.
    You're such an angry man, I'm so sorry the road you've walked has made you this way.

Just a question that has been stuck in my mind for the longest time now. Not that I particularly want to know about The Buddha specifically, but more whether or not being enlightened to our reality means anything at the end of the day, if you are the only one around you who sees reality this way? Let's say hypothetically you find out the actual, real truth behind our reality and the secrets are now yours. Now lets say that no one in your world will listen, and you live out the rest of your life knowing all these great things but with no one else to share in their existence. When you die and move on, what would having that knowledge have meant in the end? What if Buddha had no followers, and died a lonely old man that prattled on about this and that his whole life? What would his enlightenment really have meant?
    It doesn't mean anything. It never has.

I've found myself in a position, in my mid-40's, that I didn't expect to find myself - I'll have nothing to pass to future generations. For a while, that bothered me. But ultimately, I've come to realize that after a few hundred years, plus or minus, nothing I would have passed on would really have endured anyway. We live for a time, and then we die. Our time is fleeting and there is nothing that we can do - not even the most remarkable amongst us - to make it eternally meaningful.

I live by God's guidance to the best of my ability. I speak what I have discerned to be the truth, and I put the rest to God's providence. Ultimately, there is nothing else.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What if The Buddha had no followers?
    What is the sound of one hand clapping?
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ