Thread: Winter work gear suggestions.

Winter work gear suggestions.

So, I've interviewed for an electric company that installs/services generators at water treatment plants. 60% of the time will be out of town and the Mtns. of N.C. are in the service area. Owner said since he's footing the bill for living out of town, a food stipend and $2/hr. more that unless the weather is dangerous then we're working in it. Rain, snow and blow.

I've got base and mid-layers but am researching outer shell work wear. A Jacket and bibs that are 100% waterproof. Durable.

Also, work gloves. I usually just use a pair of Wells Lamont Hydrahyde gloves a size larger then use a Jersey glove underneath.

Suggestions?

I was looking at these bibs...

https://truewerk.com/collections/wor...ar-bib-overall

Kinda pricey but good reviews. Unfortunately their jacket doesn't get good reviews when it comes to being waterproof.

So I'm looking at this jacket...

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9522_200649522

Good reviews but damn I hate Hi-Vis clothing. This is an outer shell and mid-layer combo.

However, this outer shell gets outstanding waterproof reviews.

https://www.driduck.com/torrent-jacket/#product-reviews

Main thing is keeping dry. Water against the skin in winter kills.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 11-24-2021 at 07:51 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    ... researching outer shell work wear. A Jacket and bibs that are 100% waterproof. Durable...
    @RJB? ^^
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

I use real wool socks . If its really cold I wear a full insulated coverall . Otherwise I usually just wear wool lined jeans with T shirt , a wool flannel , fleece lined sweatshirt and a light carhart type jacket .I keep several pair of insulated leather Wells Lamont gloves and if they get wet I swap them out. Guys I work with all use waterproof bibs . I cant remember the name brand, I'll try and ask Tue
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I use real wool socks . If its really cold I wear a full insulated coverall . Otherwise I usually just wear wool lined jeans with T shirt , a wool flannel , fleece lined sweatshirt and a light carhart type jacket .I keep several pair of insulated leather Wells Lamont gloves and if they get wet I swap them out. Guys I work with all use waterproof bibs . I cant remember the name brand, I'll try and ask Tue
    Thanks for the suggestions. Word came quicker than I expected on the hire so I had to get some clothing shipped.

For the base layer top I went with Kuiu Merino wool. That's already come in and so I split some wood in it. I can attest that as a base layer it does wick away moisture and is warm. For bottoms I went with a different company Helly Hansen LIFA Merino wool.
    For the outer layer I just went with Carhartt. It was a rushed decision and I would rather have bought non-Chinese manufacturing. But, it was a one stop shop. I just went with their Storm Defender heavyweight jacket and bibs. Also got a pair of their boots. Never have worn Carhartt boots before. I've got two Carhartt jackets, not water proof just construction jackets, that are over 12 years old. They are a bit frayed but are still in good shape.

stone creek is the brand name of the water proof bibs these guys wear.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    stone creek is the brand name of the water proof bibs these guys wear.
    Stone Creek products look nicely made. I'll probably be shopping with them in the spring.