Thread: Jury awards $26M in damages for Unite the Right violence

Jury awards $26M in damages for Unite the Right violence

Jury awards $26M in damages for Unite the Right violence

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — A jury ordered 17 white nationalist leaders and organizations to pay more than $26 million in damages Tuesday over the violence that erupted during the deadly 2017 Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville in 2017.

After a nearly monthlong civil trial, the jury in U.S. District Court deadlocked on two key claims but found the white nationalists liable on four other claims in the lawsuit filed by nine people who suffered physical or emotional injuries during the two days of demonstrations.
    More: https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...f-16643530.php
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So organizers of political rallies and protests are now liable for damages? Interesting. It would make Antifa and BLM liable for a lot of damages.

Yet what this really is is another nail in the coffin of the First Amendment. No more freedom of speech or freedom of assembly.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    So organizers of political rallies and protests are now liable for damages? Interesting. It would make Antifa and BLM liable for a lot of damages.

Yet what this really is is another nail in the coffin of the First Amendment. No more freedom of speech or freedom of assembly.For some people.
    FIFY

There's all kinds of "freedom" just as long as the party line is towed.

Following the metric set by this verdict/judgement every BLM/Antifa arrestee and social media encourager should be held financially liable for the property damage caused and for any and all physical/mental/financial harm their actions caused during their political/social activities. This includes politicians and media personel who encouraged or supported their behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    FIFY

There's all kinds of "freedom" just as long as the party line is towed.
    Yep. I left that out. I probably just need to add “some animals are more equal” to my signature line, as that phrase applies so often.

Following the metric set by this verdict/judgement every BLM/Antifa arrestee and social media encourager should be held financially liable for the property damage caused and for any and all physical/mental/financial harm their actions caused during their political/social activities. This includes politicians and media personel who encouraged or supported their behavior.
    You have to love the “mental harm” aspect. Nothing better than damages based on something invisible, intangible, subjective and impossible to prove.

How about “I have nightmares every night worrying if my business will be burned to the ground”? Yeah, I didn't think that would count.

And the supreme irony here is that Antifa went to the rally and attacked them. AFAIK, the alt-right rally was not engaging in violence or destruction until the Antifa troops attacked them.

And the supreme irony here is that Antifa went to the rally and attacked them. AFAIK, the alt-right rally was not engaging in violence or destruction until the Antifa troops attacked them.
    There were good people on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    There were good people on both sides.
    Thought criminals on the right, actual criminals on the left, all believing that they are good and the other side is evil.

Funny how most of the people who lost in this lawsuit are feds.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yep. I left that out. I probably just need to add “some animals are more equal” to my signature line, as that phrase applies so often.

You have to love the “mental harm” aspect. Nothing better than damages based on something invisible, intangible, subjective and impossible to prove.

How about “I have nightmares every night worrying if my business will be burned to the ground”? Yeah, I didn't think that would count.
    Whaddabout the animosity I now feel toward obnoxious, loud, multi-hued hair suburban 'women'?

Or toward the skinny-legged jean wearing, man-bun metrosexuals?

Surely I have cause to seek recompense for my maladies.....

It's far more reaching than merely the fear of having my life's work burnt to the ground.

The Tee-Vee tells me that these people are virtuous and fighting the good fight yet prior to their "peaceful protests" and "social activism/justice" crusade I was able to just ignore them as deranged and misguided. Now due entirely to their wanton and willful actions I suffer mental defect according to their Tee-Vee.

If I'm ever to achieve 'right-think' I'll require years of isolation therapy on several hundred wooded acres where I can reflect on my wayward thoughts and emotions and it's only right that these people foot the expense.

After all I wouldn't want to offend anybody....

This is not possible.

The Marxist news organs just spent five days screeching at the top of their lungs that the entire justice system was nothing but a vehicle for white oppression and supremacy.

How could it possibly judge against itself?
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This is not possible.

The Marxist news organs just spent five days screeching at the top of their lungs that the entire justice system was nothing but a vehicle for white oppression and supremacy.

How could it possibly judge against itself?
    It's almost like they pick and choose when the justice system is racist or not.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Cross post:

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    https://twitter.com/chris_notcapn/st...36948642996234
    https://twitter.com/business/status/1463243288207626252

Jury Awards Millions in Damages for Unite the Right Violence in Charlottesville
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-deliberations
    AP / Denise Lavoie (23 November 2021)

Charlottesville, Va. (AP) -- A jury ordered 17 white nationalist leaders and organizations to pay more than $26 million in damages Tuesday over the violence that erupted during the deadly 2017 Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville in 2017.

After a nearly monthlong civil trial, the jury in U.S. District Court deadlocked on two key claims but found the white nationalists liable on four other claims in the lawsuit filed by nine people who suffered physical or emotional injuries during the two days of demonstrations.

Attorney Roberta Kaplan said the plaintiffs' lawyers plan to refile the suit so a new jury can decide the two deadlocked claims. She called the amount of damages awarded from the others counts “eye opening”

“That sends a loud message,” Kaplan said.

The verdict, though mixed, is a rebuke to the white nationalist movement, particularly for the two dozen individuals and organizations accused in a federal lawsuit of orchestrating violence against African Americans, Jews and others in a meticulously planned conspiracy.

White nationalist leader Richard Spencer vowed to appeal, saying the “entire theory of that verdict is fundamentally flawed.”

He said plaintiffs’ attorneys made it clear before the trial that they wanted to use the case to bankrupt him and other defendants.

“It was activism by means of lawsuits, and that is absolutely outrageous,” he said. “I’m doing fine right now because I had kind of accepted in my heart the worst that could happen. I had hope, of course, but I’m not terribly surprised or crestfallen.”

Jurors were unable to reach unanimous verdicts on two pivotal claims based on a 150-year-old federal law passed after the Civil War to shield freed slaves from violence and protect their civil rights. The Ku Klux Klan Act contains a rarely used provision that allows private citizens to sue other citizens for civil rights violations.

Under those claims, the plaintiffs asked the jury to find that the defendants engaged in a conspiracy to commit racially motivated violence and that they knew about the conspiracy but failed to stop it from being carried out. Jurors could not agree on those claims.

The jury did find the defendants liable under a Virginia state law conspiracy claim and awarded $11 million in damages to the plaintiffs under that claim. Jurors also found five of the main organizers of the rally liable under a claim that alleged they subjected two of the plaintiffs to intimidation, harassment or violence that was motivated by racial, religious or ethnic animosity. The jury awarded the plaintiffs $1.5 million in damages on that claim.

The final two claims were made against James Alex Fields Jr., an avowed Hitler admirer who intentionally drove his car into a crowd of counterprotesters, killing one woman and injuring 19. The jury found Fields, who is serving life in prison for murder and hate crimes, liable on an assault or battery claim and awarded six plaintiffs just under $6.8 million in damages. The jury awarded the same plaintiffs nearly $6.7 million on a claim that Fields intentionally inflicted emotional distress on them.

Hundreds of white nationalists descended on Charlottesville for the Unite the Right rally on Aug. 11 and 12, 2017, ostensibly to protest city plans to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. During a march on the University of Virginia campus, white nationalists chanted “Jews will not replace us,” surrounded counterprotesters and threw tiki torches at them.

Then-President Donald Trump touched off a political firestorm when he failed to immediately denounce the white nationalists, saying there were “ very fine people on both sides. ”

The lawsuit funded by Integrity First for America, a nonprofit civil rights organization formed in response to the violence in Charlottesville, accused some of the country’s most well-known white nationalists of plotting the violence, including Jason Kessler, the rally’s main organizer; Spencer, who coined the term “alt-right” to describe a loosely connected band of white nationalists, neo-Nazis and others; and Christopher Cantwell, a white supremacist who became known as the “crying Nazi” for posting a tearful video when a warrant was issued for his arrest on assault charges for using pepper spray against counterdemonstrators.

The trial featured emotional testimony from people who were struck by Fields’ car or witnessed the attacks as well as plaintiffs who were beaten or subjected to racist taunts.

Melissa Blair, who was pushed out of the way as Fields’ car slammed into the crowd, described the horror of seeing her fiancé bleeding on the sidewalk and later learning that her friend, 32-year-old Heather Heyer, had been killed.

“I was confused. I was scared. I was worried about all the people that were there. It was a complete terror scene. It was blood everywhere. I was terrified,” said Blair, who became tearful several times during her testimony.

During their testimony, some of the defendants used racial epithets and defiantly expressed their support for white supremacy. They also blamed one another and the anti-fascist political movement known as antifa for the violence that erupted that weekend.

In closing arguments to the jury, the defendants and their lawyers tried to distance themselves from Fields and said the plaintiffs had not proved that they conspired to commit violence at the rally.

Before the trial, Judge Norman Moon issued default judgments against another seven defendants who refused to respond to the lawsuit. The court will decide damages against those defendants.

I am emotionally damaged by the BLM rioters. Where is my 26 million?

Yet what this really is is another nail in the coffin of the First Amendment. No more freedom of speech or freedom of assembly.
    Yea right, these sort of judgements only go in one direction.

"Fiery but mostly peaceful" for me, but not for thee.

I probably just need to add “some animals are more equal” to my signature line, as that phrase applies so often.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I am emotionally damaged by the BLM rioters. Where is my 26 million?
    Hold on, I was too! Who's getting the lawsuit together?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hold on, I was too! Who's getting the lawsuit together?
    I demand land!

And lots of it.

Isn't the city responsible for granting a license for an ultra-alt-right super white supremacist race rally in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Isn't the city responsible for granting a license for an ultra-alt-right super white supremacist race rally in the first place?
    What about all the politicians that encouraged "peaceful protests?"

I usually read foreign policy news in the media of our closest ally (on most topics tends to be more candid and honest than US MSM). But in this case they had a very strange narrative especially considering that many folks in this rally were pro-MAGA:

Jury orders organizers of antisemitic Charlottesville rally to pay $26M in damages
    Times Of Israel
    Nov 23, 2021