Thread: Rep. Nancy Mace unveils GOP bill to legalize marijuana at federal level

Thumbs up Rep. Nancy Mace unveils GOP bill to legalize marijuana at federal level

SC Congresswoman Nancy Mace unveils GOP bill to legalize marijuana at federal level

BY CAITLIN BYRD
    NOVEMBER 15, 2021

U.S. Rep. Nancy Mace introduced sweeping legislation Monday to decriminalize marijuana at the federal level, offering Republicans a conservative approach to the legalization debate in America that proposes taxing cannabis and regulating the substance more like alcohol.

But back in Mace’s home state of South Carolina, Republicans issued a swift condemnation of her efforts.

Her draft bill, called the States Reform Act, would remove marijuana from the federal Controlled Substances list and impose a 3% federal excise tax. That tax revenue would help pay for law enforcement retraining programs, assist the Small Business Administration and support mental health initiatives for veterans.

The legislation also calls for expunging nonviolent, cannabis-only related arrests and convictions from federal records — a change that could lead to approximately 2,600 releases at the federal level, according to estimates provided by Mace’s office ahead of the bill’s introduction.

“It’s not going to force cannabis on South Carolina, if South Carolina does not want it,” Mace said, adding that she would like to see her state legalize medical cannabis soon.

Already, Mace’s legislation has been endorsed by several pro-marijuana lobbying groups, including the Koch brothers-backed groups Americans for Prosperity and Cannabis Freedom Alliance, as well as the Global Alliance for Cannabis Commerce.

read more:
    https://www.thestate.com/news/politi...255830711.html
    Last edited by jct74; 11-15-2021 at 03:27 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mace called her bill “turn-key legislation” and said it offers something for both Republicans and Democrats to support. In an interview, Mace said more Republicans will be joining this week and said she’s getting interest from Democrats in both the House and Senate.
    I hope Thomas is one of these. I know you can do it Thomas even though Kentucky is a pretty socially conservative state and you might get attacked by a few Republicans back home for it.

For that matter Rand has been pretty silent on cannabis reform lately too. Rand, how about a Senate version?

Her draft bill, called the States Reform Act, would remove marijuana from the federal Controlled Substances list and impose a 3% federal excise tax.
    I suppose nothing is perfect. Now if we could just abolish the income tax at the same time, a small excise tax would be worth it. I am guessing the excise tax would apply to farmers and importers?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I suppose nothing is perfect. Now if we could just abolish the income tax at the same time, a small excise tax would be worth it. I am guessing the excise tax would apply to farmers and importers?
    Schumer's bill taxes cannabis at 25%, so it's a slight improvement on that at least.

As much as I hate tax,, it has been the bribe that works.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Schumer's bill taxes cannabis at 25%, so it's a slight improvement on that at least.
    If they taxed carrots at 25%, I'd probably grow my own.

How about a GOP bill that legalizes breathing in public

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    How about a GOP bill that legalizes breathing in public
    I'm still waiting for the bill that legalizes freedom. It'll come one of these days.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nancy Mace says she used cannabis to treat depression after being raped, after pharmaceutical drugs that she was prescribed did not help her. Pretty interesting admission.

Yeah great, I'm not opposed to this. But the real reason behind this isn't freedom. The government want to keep the population high and complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Yeah great, I'm not opposed to this. But the real reason behind this isn't freedom. The government want to keep the population high and complacent.
    The Democrats talk about criminal justice reform a lot and disparities in how laws are enforced. They also like tax revenue. You don't think that has anything to do with their reasons for supporting legalization, that it's mostly because they want to dumb us down?

The bill was introduced by Nancy Mace btw, a Republican and probably one of the more pro-liberty members of Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    The Democrats talk about criminal justice reform a lot and disparities in how laws are enforced. They also like tax revenue. You don't think that has anything to do with their reasons for supporting legalization, that it's mostly because they want to dumb us down?

The bill was introduced by Nancy Mace btw, a Republican and probably one of the more pro-liberty members of Congress.
    I know who she is. Yes I beleive the government wants to keep the population calm and dumb.

I'm not opposed to legalization.

I know who she is. Yes I beleive the government wants to keep the population calm and dumb.

You do understand that cannabis has no effect on stupidity.. but it does increase neural response,, increases Synaptic activity.. Cleans deposits (Plaque)
    It calms my Chaotic Mind.
    and bubba,, I want to keep me Calm.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

The government want to keep the population high and complacent.
    Phuck that Dumb $hit.

Pot Heads in the 60s and 70s ended a War.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Yeah I know we discussed this before man, it's just I don't know why people believe this conspiracy theory about weed when there are very logical reasons why Democrats would support legalization that don't have anything to do with some fiction that Tucker Carlson started spouting off on his show a few years ago. It undermines support legalization and also perpetuates a stereotype about weed that there isn't much truth to although it does affect some people negatively. I've seen a few people here repeat this theory recently and legalization is an issue I'm very passionate about so I got to challenge this idea whenever it comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    You do understand that cannabis has no effect on stupidity.. but it does increase neural response,, increases Synaptic activity.. Cleans deposits (Plaque)
    It calms my Chaotic Mind.
    and bubba,, I want to keep me Calm.
    It made me feel stupid for a few days after, like in a fog. People I was around back then were absolutely impaired and acting stupidly. Haven't touched it in almost 30 years.

If you like it, that doesn't bother me. It's not my business. I have no problem with legalization.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Haven't touched it in almost 30 years.
    Well I haven't smuggled any in about 40 years..

But I never lost a shipment.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

People I was around back then were absolutely impaired and acting stupidly.
    Were they not drinking also? Were you drinking? That tends to make people act pretty stupid. It was probably the people you were around. I've known plenty of very intelligent people who use it and benefit from it.

As far as complacency, you may or may not like Joe Rogan.. but he is the opposite of complacent.. he's pretty damn smart and always has like 3 careers going at once.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."