Thread: Austria: Lockdown for Unvaxxed

Austria: Lockdown for Unvaxxed

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59283128

Covid: Austria introduces lockdown for unvaccinated
    About two million people who have not been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 have been placed in lockdown in Austria as the country faces a surge in cases.

"We are not taking this step lightly, but unfortunately it is necessary," Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said.

Unvaccinated people will only be allowed to leave home for limited reasons, like working or buying food.

About 65% of Austria's population is fully vaccinated - one of the lowest rates in Western Europe.

Meanwhile, the seven-day infection rate is more than 800 cases per 100,000 people, which is one of the highest in the region.

Overall, Europe has again become the area most seriously affected by the pandemic and several countries are introducing restrictions and warning of rising cases.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Even some vaccinated people will have a problem in Austria, especially those people who go there for winter sports from other countries. For instance, here in the Netherlands, lots of people were vaccinated early in the year.. Some of these people as of now do not qualify for a booster shot. Austria has set the expiration date of the vaccines at 270days/9months. Some people will therefore not be allowed into Austria whereas locally they have no right for an extra shot either. [Even if they wanted to follow all rules/guidance there's no path for them...]

There's no opinion in the above, it's just to illustrate how disrupting all these rules are. Personally, I am not vaccinated, I cannot got to Austria at all, even though I have business there. I also haven't seen my lifelong friends who operate the drinking shed on top of the mountain... Used to go skiing every year and have known these people all my life, had my first beer there when I was waaaay too young to drink, after climbing the mountain, good memories. Haven't seen them in two years, hope they're all okay.
    "I am a bird"

The government says police will carry out spot checks in public spaces to determine the vaccination status of individuals, and issue fines to those caught breaking the rules.

Austria's health ministry says anyone who violates the lockdown for the unvaccinated could be fined 500 (426; $572), while a penalty of 1,450 could be incurred for refusing to participate in checks.

There was a last-minute rush at vaccination centres in Upper Austria on the eve of the new restrictions.

But critics have questioned whether the move is constitutional. The far-right Freedom Party has said it will create a group of second-class citizens.
    Not sure how the Austrian courts work, but in the US, there's a legal doctrine called "if the state wants it enough" that kicks in for these types of cases. So spot checks are totally constitutional here.
    My Medical Records are Private

"If a man says he'll get something done, then he'll get it done. You don't need to keep reminding him every 6 months." --phill4paul

Well this is totally not dystopian and something that you would see back in the 1930s and 40s.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

It's just beyond the pale at this point. It truly has become exactly what is printed in the book that a supposed majority of the Earth's populace believes, and yet it's all still a thing.
    "The issue is that you to define the best candidate solely based upon what they stand for." - CaptLouAlbano

This is the mindset trying to take hold on RPF.

"Kelly Thomas did this to himself." - FrankRep

The Austrians just keep letting those people in.

"Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?"--Will Rogers

"All I know is what I read in the newspapers, and that's an alibi for my ignorance."--Will Rogers

Amazing, the leftists depose Kurtz, and shortly after impose this. What a huge coincidence.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Not sure how the Austrian courts work, but in the US, there's a legal doctrine called "if the state wants it enough" that kicks in for these types of cases. So spot checks are totally constitutional here.
    I don't know either. Here in the Netherlands we have a constitution that says you have all sorts of rights (usually limited by the law, so please explain to me how you can call something that is dependent on law a constitution, but that's another discussion.) but it also lists things the government is responsible for, among these things is 'to promote the general welfare' (sounds familiar ?). Politicians simply claim a conflict between peoples 'rights' in order to justify what they're doing. Personally, I do not think rights can be in conflict with each other or they aren't rights... But try to explain that to 'people'.
    "I am a bird"

Austrian Police Randomly Check the Vaccination Status of Shoppers After Lockdown of Unvaccinated

https://twitter.com/wa_kin_gup/statu...864%2Fpage-261