Thread: Atlantic: People Arenít Meant to Talk This Much

Arrow Atlantic: People Arenít Meant to Talk This Much

People Aren’t Meant to Talk This Much - Breaking up social-media companies is one way to fix them. Shutting their users up is a better one.

I don't give a damn about the Atlantic itself, so this isn't about the rag. It's about how the "elites" always eventually come out and plainly state their mind. They won't say it right away on prime-time cable news. But sooner or later, yes, they eventually just come out and say it. The agenda is, and always has been, to shut people up. Do animals speak? So why do these cattle need to speak? What could they possibly have to say? Let them eat their McDonald's and hump each other like sterilized rabbits until their bodies rot into the ground they came out of. There's no need to guess or speculate about the Agenda! They just tell you what it is!

Mandatory masks for the next pandemic will look like this:

Maybe they think they'll do cordectomies on us to keep the barking-noise down during torture sessions...
    2 Sam. 12; John 6:38,39; Matt. 18:21-35; Rev. 2:5; 1 Cor. 4:20

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    See, comrade, only certain types of speech are undesirable:

And we also received a toxic dump of garbage. The ease with which connections can be made—along with the way that, on social media, close friends look the same as acquaintances or even strangers—means any post can successfully appeal to people’s worst fears, transforming ordinary folks into radicals. That’s what YouTube did to the Christchurch shooter, what conspiracy theorists preceding QAnon did to the Pizzagaters, what Trumpists did to the Capitol rioters. And, closer to the ground, it’s how random Facebook messages scam your mother, how ill-thought tweets ruin lives, how social media has made life in general brittle and unforgiving.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

I mean, I don't disagree. There are too many people just spouting crap.

I always point back to forums as the original way we communicated online, and I'm always ready to point out the deficiencies of new social media compared to this.

There are no rules here. But the unofficial rules are pretty heavily regimented. Those rules have always included not being a dick, sticking to the topic, having something worthwhile to add, not spamming, etc. And there are volunteers here to keep those rules enforced. The only thing we ever had a problem with here - which is a problem among all forums - is not always knowing why people get booted eventually, and not being able to find out, and thus not knowing what the unofficial rules are.

There are tons of rules on social media. But they get largely ignored. Right up to the point where you cross the site owner politically.
    Then an interesting thing happens: They boot you, but they don't give you a rule that you broke. Even though they are clearly published. It would appear to be a step in the right direction from what we have on forums, but they boot people the same way - unceremoniously and without feedback.

Forums have social media beaten on the topic of whether people are saying too much by virtue of the fact that everyone agreed up front that saying meaningful things is why we're here and we're not putting up with garbage.
    Social media set out at the beginning - down all the way to the UI - to make it impossible to have meaningful conversation. I mean that was the entire point with Twitter. They figured out it was profitable to peddle garbage.

I'm pretty convinced forums are ready for a renaissance. Just look at how popular Discord is at this point. Once all the people with something to say leave the social media platforms, everyone left will be free to spout their garbage. I'm pretty convinced all it'll take is a place that does exactly what these old forums do but allow us to just copypaste a freaking jpeg already like it's some time past 2008.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Those rules have always included not being a dick, sticking to the topic, having something worthwhile to add, not spamming, etc. And there are volunteers here to keep those rules enforced. The only thing we ever had a problem with here - which is a problem among all forums - is not always knowing why people get booted eventually, and not being able to find out, and thus not knowing what the unofficial rules are.
    I know I'm a one-stringed guitar on this subject, but it bears emphasis... this is one reason why the image of God within us is so foundational... face-to-face direct conversation is the ultimate form of "heavily-enforced, unwritten rules" including, if you're a complete and total a-hole, you might just get smacked in the face (whether right or wrong!) Unlike the mass social media chilling-effect (bans, etc.) which is primarily used to suppress legitimate speech that is undesirable for the political "elites", the chilling-effect in face-to-face speech has the desirable effect of suppressing a lot of foolishness and trolling. 99% of the crap that people will spew over Tw@tter/Fakebook/etc, they would never dare utter aloud to another person, even over a live phone conversation, let alone face-to-face. This drive to literally cover the image of God (the human face) is being driven by the Antichrist. No I can't prove that to you, but I know it. Watch for the signs folks! This is not a drill!
    Last edited by ClaytonB; 10-27-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    See, comrade, only certain types of speech are undesirable:
    MESSAGE RECEIVED AND UNDERSTOOD COMRADE