Thread: LED lights overrated

LED lights overrated

LED light bulbs do not live up to their hype. I have purchased Sylvania bulbs and there is no way they last 10 years or 10,000 hours or whatever they say. I have had many bulbs fail after low usage. Granted they probably use less energy and are more pleasing than the squirrelly fluorescents and they do not get very hot but they do not last very long.

Maybe Mike Lindell can make some "My Lightbulbs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $#@!ing things should be banned for use on the road.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

And why is Mike Lindell chapping your ass?
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    They blind oncoming traffic! Good for taillights though.
    Last edited by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged; 10-24-2021 at 11:43 AM.

And why is Mike Lindell chapping your ass?
    Chapping my ass? I think he makes quality products. If he made light bulbs I would buy them. It would be the best lightbulb I have ever owned and he would guarantee it!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    They blind oncoming traffic!
    Yes they do, the blue spectrum wavelength they produce is physically painful to try and stare down and keep your eyes on the road.

Chapping my ass? I think he makes quality products. If he made light bulbs I would buy them. It would be the best lightbulb I have ever owned and he would guarantee it!
    Oh, OK...I misunderstood you.

Yes they do, the blue spectrum wavelength they produce is physically painful to try and stare down and keep your eyes on the road.
    Strain my eyes too. Makes me very tired and hard to stay awake while night driving long distance.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

LED light bulbs do not live up to their hype. I have purchased Sylvania bulbs and there is no way they last 10 years or 10,000 hours or whatever they say. I have had many bulbs fail after low usage. Granted they probably use less energy and are more pleasing than the squirrelly fluorescents and they do not get very hot but they do not last very long.

Maybe Mike Lindell can make some "My Lightbulbs."
    LED's today are much more economical. Get over it. The filament ones even look good and the light color is decent. Initially LED lightbulbs were horrible, I'll give you that. Newer generations however are quite good. Lifespan is mostly determined by the power supply, capacitive dropper vs actual power supply etc. If it has a decent power supply it will last 10 years. LED's themselves have extreme lifespans, quality matters but in general the lifespan is really good. I don't see a need to ban incandescent lamps or halogens, but I also don't see a need to hate on LED.

Maybe the beam should be regulated. This is highly regulated over here, yearly cars are checked for the proper beam as these things can move over time.... Or people put ridiculous $#@! in their cars. I personally have extremely bright xenons, the beam however, checks out and is not going up. IDK if there are any regulations for that where you live ?

Funny how were talking about banning things, right ?

Blue is more intense for the eye, for sure, but again, if the beam is okay, it shouldn't matter.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    LED's today are much more economical. Get over it. The filament ones even look good and the light color is decent. Initially LED lightbulbs were horrible, I'll give you that. Newer generations however are quite good. Lifespan is mostly determined by the power supply, capacitive dropper vs actual power supply etc. If it has a decent power supply it will last 10 years. LED's themselves have extreme lifespans, quality matters but in general the lifespan is really good. I don't see a need to ban incandescent lamps or halogens, but I also don't see a need to hate on LED.

Maybe the beam should be regulated. This is highly regulated over here, yearly cars are checked for the proper beam as these things can move over time.... Or people put ridiculous $#@! in their cars. I personally have extremely bright xenons, the beam however, checks out and is not going up. IDK if there are any regulations for that where you live ?

Blue is more intense for the eye, for sure, but again, if the beam is okay, it shouldn't matter.
    P.S. I switched out most of my light bulbs for LED's in the past few years as the quality in my opinion has become good enough. Hint: I do not buy the cheap ones... They're 15$ range each from Philips, but they'll last long time. All small lights on my cars are Philips LED's as well, haven't had a single one fail and the brightness is great.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

I probably have 20 recessed lights in my lower level. I switched them all to Sylvania no dim LED's less than 2 years ago. The lights are not on very often. At least 3 probably more have failed.

I probably have 20 recessed lights in my lower level. I switched them all to Sylvania no dim LED's less than 2 years ago. The lights are not on very often. At least 3 probably more have failed.
    Break one open and look what's inside. Share some pictures. Must be absolute crap or a faulty batch.
    "I am a bird"

It's not so much the light source as the optics. Headlights used to have diffuser lenses, like Fresnel theater lights. Now everything's ellipsoidal parabolic focused lens projector beams, even low beams. And they'd be all right if all roads were flat, everyone adjusted their lights and nobody ever overloaded their trunk/bed. But even then there's railroad tracks. And then there's new, improved high beams.

Yeah, it's getting bad.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 10-24-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Headlights should be cross polarized to the windshields.
    That would eliminate all of the problems with glare.

Ive had a pretty low success rate with longevity any of the different brands Ive tried here at the cottage in the woods. I still cant see how a light bulb should cost more than a couple bucks when mass produced . I must be missing something.
    Last edited by oyarde; 10-25-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They blind oncoming traffic! Good for taillights though.
    Even taillightts. I've gotten ghosting on my retinas at night while just waiting behind an Escalade with megawatt LED taillights. You could light an entire dance floor with those abominations, they are a road. Regular light-bulbs with LEDs are fine, but there was no need to force the market to change. People will pick whatever works at the price-point that is reasonable. LED bulbs existed before the forced change-over. They weren't a huge market but there are many indoor-lighting applications where incandescent bulbs are still superior.
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

It's a problem when someone's headlights are 10x brighter than my high beams
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

I am presently sitting at my dining table. There is a chandelier with 5 premium dimmable LED bulbs. One or more of the lights flicker.

I am presently sitting at my dining table. There is a chandelier with 5 premium dimmable LED bulbs. One or more of the lights flicker.
    I need to look into the dimmables. Our chandelier has regular LEDs and I miss the dimming. Haven’t changed the bulbs in years though.

As for the road. I’ve literally worn sunglasses at night because of the brightness of oncoming headlights. I’ve also angled the side view mirrors into the ground to avoid being blinded by the traffic behind me. This is only during long hauls though. I can usually drive a couple hours at night without issue.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    I need to look into the dimmables. Our chandelier has regular LEDs and I miss the dimming. Haven’t changed the bulbs in years though.

As for the road. I’ve literally worn sunglasses at night because of the brightness of oncoming headlights. I’ve also angled the side view mirrors into the ground to avoid being blinded by the traffic behind me. This is only during long hauls though. I can usually drive a couple hours at night without issue.
    Yes the lights from behind are terrible. When I go long distance I usually am towing and need my mirrors. I have to tilt them way out and reposition myself to check prior to changing lanes.

If you are buying your led bulbs from Walmart and the big box stores, you are getting very poor quality drivers. If you go led, buy high quality ones.

Also, your old sockets may be contributing to the early demise of your bulbs. Ever notice how that little pin in the center of the socket gets compressed after a few years? A bad connection is a hot connection and the driver can fail prematurely in those situations as well.

Sometimes the best option is just to replace the entire fixture. There are some nice led fixtures out there that should last a little longer than the bulbs into an old socket type change outs.

Led lights are great. Cheap led bulbs suck.
    No - No - No - No

You just reminded me that I disconnected a flickering led light at my SIL’s house, and need to replace it. No worries, I’ll forget again in a few minutes.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

At first I was like "how the hell can you even tell if it's overrated since all the ratings are in lumens and kelvins and $#@!" and then I realized you are talking about longevity.

I mean, yeah. They don't last as long. Was that ever really a consideration?

This is like the fourth time they've promised us unlimited life out of a light bulb and it's always been bull$#@!. The next one isn't going to last, either.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.