Thread: 100 Year Inflation May be Upon Us

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    yep

i wonder how many hundreds of millions theyll kill this time...
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

I remember the seventies. This isn't fifty year inflation. This isn't hundred year inflation. This hasn't happened on this continent since the Continental and Confederate dollars. This is we used to carry our currency to market in a pocket and the groceries home in a basket; now we carry currency to the market in a basket and the groceries home in a pocket.

This is Trump gifted Big Pharma not millions, not billions, but trillions hyperinflation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Around 6-8% a year sounds more reasonable indeed.
    "I am a bird"

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Around 6-8% a year sounds more reasonable indeed.
    This current spike of inflation is unlike any we have had in over 40 years.

Let's Go Brandon!
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    This current spike of inflation is unlike any we have had in over 40 years.

Let's Go Brandon!
    I'm telling you that number is closer to 160 years.

And truck Fump too. He ramped it up to Warp Speed. Chester the Molester is just continuing the policy.

Well it is clearly out of control and going to carry through New Years . Only thing that can stop it now is if the economy crashes next yr , otherwise it just keeps chooglin'
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

And truck Fump too. He ramped it up to Warp Speed. Chester the Molester is just continuing the policy.
    Yup, he also took a million dollar donation from Pfizer and had a meeting with Kissinger. This is going to be a rough 10 years. Biden was clearly chosen to be the bag holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty's Golden X View Post
    Yup, he also took a million dollar donation from Pfizer and had a meeting with Kissinger. This is going to be a rough 10 years. Biden was clearly chosen to be the bag holder.
    Joe and Jill were front and center at most Davos WEF meetings and summits, sitting between PRC bigwigs and Leo DiCaprio/climate spokesmen. Bagholder perhaps but a willing bagholder.

Donald also attended them.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Someone commenting on this article on an another forum suggested that "the elites" wanted and would benefit from hyperinflation and that only the "lower orders" would suffer. I reminded him that The French Revolution followed and was at least partially set off by hyperinflation (just over 200 years ago), so he should not assume that "the elites" would be immune from the affects here and now.

The big take away from the article is that gold is performing as it did in Germany before the currency collapsed. The chart of gold v mark 1918 to 1921 and gold v dollar 2018 to 2021 are nearly identical. It's seen better in this version of the article.
    Last edited by Meritocrat; 10-31-2021 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meritocrat View Post
    Someone commenting on this article on an another forum suggested that "the elites" wanted and would benefit from hyperinflation and that only the "lower orders" would suffer.
    Broadly speaking, that commenter is correct.

There's even a name for the phenomenon: the Cantillon Effect.

And it applies to all inflation, not just the "hyper" variety.

It's how central-bank-issued fiat effectively imposes an "inflation tax" on the "lower orders" at the end of the chain of Cantillon effects (i.e., " the original recipients of new money enjoy higher standards of living at the expense of later recipients").
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

The Great French Inflation

Someone commenting on this article on an another forum suggested that "the elites" wanted and would benefit from hyperinflation and that only the "lower orders" would suffer. I reminded him that The French Revolution followed and was at least partially set off by hyperinflation (just over 200 years ago), so he should not assume that "the elites" would be immune from the affects here and now.

The big take away from the article is that gold is performing as it did in Germany before the currency collapsed. The chart of gold v mark 1918 to 1921 and gold v dollar 2018 to 2021 are nearly identical. It's seen better in this version of the article.
    Last edited by Meritocrat; 10-31-2021 at 05:17 AM.

Elites benefit from inflation, but they don't necessarily benefit from hyperinflation, which is a currency collapse. The French Revolution is one example where elites did not benefit from hyperinflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Broadly speaking, that commenter is correct.

There's even a name for the phenomenon: the Cantillon Effect.

And it applies to all inflation, not just the "hyper" variety.

It's how central-bank-issued fiat effectively imposes an "inflation tax" on the "lower orders" at the end of the chain of Cantillon effects (i.e., " the original recipients of new money enjoy higher standards of living at the expense of later recipients").

Elites benefit from inflation, but they don't necessarily benefit from hyperinflation, which is a currency collapse.
    They certainly benefit from it a lot more (or suffer from it a lot less, if you prefer) than everyone else does.

The French Revolution is one example where elites did not benefit from hyperinflation.
    Elites don't benefit from successful revolutions, regardless of whether any hyperinflation is involved.

I suppose you could say that that hyperinflation was a contributing cause of the French Revolution.

But that just prompts the question, "What caused the hyperinflation to begin with?"

And the answer to that question would be: "The 'normal' inflation that preceded the hyperinflation" (and which certainly did benefit the elites, as I noted previously).

They certainly benefit from it a lot more (or suffer from it a lot less, if you prefer) than everyone else does.

Elites don't benefit from successful revolutions, regardless of whether any hyperinflation is involved.

I suppose you could say that that hyperinflation was a contributing cause of the French Revolution.

But that just prompts the question, "What caused the hyperinflation to begin with?"

And the answer to that question would be: "The 'normal' inflation that preceded the hyperinflation" (and which certainly did benefit the elites, as I noted previously).
    Key is to control the inevitable mass revolt as the money of the day dies and direct the revolt(people's energy) toward desired and planned goals, which spring out of the revolt. Controlling all sides from top down is how the same people/families/groups maintain control year after year, while consistently implementing their plan. IOW, the key is to control what is (re)born out of the revolt. Phoenix/Eagle symbolism is pertinent here. Also see: cryptocurrency/blockchain/CBDC
    Last edited by devil21; 10-31-2021 at 11:24 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Key is to control the inevitable mass revolt as the money of the day dies and direct the revolt(people's energy) toward desired and planned goals, which spring out of the revolt. Controlling all sides from top down is how the same people/families/groups maintain control year after year, while consistently implementing their plan. IOW, the key is to control what is (re)born out of the revolt. Phoenix/Eagle symbolism is pertinent here. Also see: cryptocurrency/blockchain/CBDC
    Yeah, I agree with you, any advertised revolt like BLM having corporate sponsors, needs to be watched. I don't trust Trump's "Save America" new campaign slogan. If anyone finds information on "The Dark Winter" they are planning, please post. Going Galt seems prudent or finding a free country. Insane they are closing bank accounts and taking property in Australia now.

There is no fundamental disagreement here.

From what I've read from the Mises Institute and the Foundation For Economic Education (both of which I've contributed to) there was a pretty straight line between inflation spiraling out of control in France in 1789 and heads rolling into buckets.

"The elites" do panic when inflation gets away from them. They like inflation that regular people don't notice. They worry when regular people start to notice. As evidence for this argument, I'd say look at luxury underground bunker sales over the last two years.

Hyperinflation has a way of reshuffling the deck. a blue collar tradesman can surpass a professional lawyer. A simpleton who just paid his bills and collected some silver and gold can come out better than a person who trusted his wealth to a financial advisor.

Gold broke out of down trend on a technical basis Friday and is likely to rally into December with a chance to hit a new all time high as early as January. Possibility of a short squeeze in gold and silver still on the table. Given the short interest, a break out in gold could put some large bullion banks in trouble.

Yes, you would go back to the Civil War period if you were only looking at the US. In 100 Year Inflation May Now Be Upon Us, I'm looking at the collapse of the Mark exactly 100 years ago and briefly explain how this was set in motion by the creation of the Fed. The current US inflation is similar to Weimar by the degree of debt monetization (aka quantitative easing). A stronger comparison from a social and political perspective, is the inflation proceeding the French Revolution just over 200 years ago.

Yes, you would go back to the Civil War period if you were only looking at the US. In 100 Year Inflation May Now Be Upon Us, I'm looking at the collapse of the Mark exactly 100 years ago and briefly explain how this was set in motion by the creation of the Fed. The current US inflation is similar to Weimar by the degree of debt monetization (aka quantitative easing). A stronger comparison from a social and political perspective, is the inflation proceeding the French Revolution just over 200 years ago.
    I read a short book a few years ago called "Fiat Money Inflation in France", which was written around the late 1800s or early 1900s.

It was amazing how similar it was to today's events.

My belief is that in the long run prices tend to rise in proportion to the total amount of money that's been printed, in other words the fed's balance sheet. Since the fed's balance sheet has increased by almost 10 times since 2008, we've got a long way to go before prices catch up.

I agree, the Fed created 4 trillion of inflation during Trumps 4 years, "only" .5 trillion so far for Biden. That being said I think Biden is worse and he'll surpass Trump unless the dollar collapses, then it's game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I agree, the Fed created 4 trillion of inflation during Trumps 4 years, "only" .5 trillion so far for Biden. That being said I think Biden is worse and he'll surpass Trump unless the dollar collapses, then it's game over.
    Or all of the above, yes.

Thumbs down

Hyperinflation has a way of reshuffling the deck. a blue collar tradesman can surpass a professional lawyer. A simpleton who just paid his bills and collected some silver and gold can come out better than a person who trusted his wealth to a financial advisor.
    Or allow a failed artist and injured Army private to become a continental dictator and mass murderer.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Or allow a failed artist and injured Army private to become a continental dictator and mass murderer.
    I think he was a corporal .
    Do something Danke

The Fed is still the third largest holder of US debt. This chart shows that individuals are still the largest holder, followed by foreign investors. When the tapper fails, and the new trillion dollar package assures that it will, the fed will become the second largest holder. This is when the Treasury market and collapses.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I read a short book a few years ago called "Fiat Money Inflation in France", which was written around the late 1800s or early 1900s.

It was amazing how similar it was to today's events.

My belief is that in the long run prices tend to rise in proportion to the total amount of money that's been printed, in other words the fed's balance sheet. Since the fed's balance sheet has increased by almost 10 times since 2008, we've got a long way to go before prices catch up.

The Fed is still the third largest holder of US debt. This chart shows that individuals are still the largest holder, followed by foreign investors. When the tapper fails, and the new trillion dollar package assures that it will, the fed will become the second largest holder. This is when the Treasury market and collapses.
    I disagree here. Foreign investors have been dropping off in the Treasury market since 2015 and the tapper failed in 2019 under Powell.

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/08/17/wh...-in-15-months/

Per Mises Human Action pages 423-424, "But if once public opinion is convinced that the increase in the quantity of money will continue and never come to an end, and that consequently the prices of all commodities and services will not crease to rise, everybody becomes eager to buy as much as possible and to restrict his cash holdings to a minimum size...This phenomenon was, in the great European inflations of the twenties, called flight into real goods or crack-up boom...The characteristic mark of the phenomenon is that the increase in the quantity of money causes a fall in the demand for money."

IMO, I would be watching the US Foreign Exchange Reserves closely and IMF issues of SDRs (Dollar 41.73%, Euro 30.93%, Yuan 10.92%, Yen 8.33%, & Pound 8.09%). The US will continue to export inflation until it can't. And who knows what the BIS is doing with their FX swaps.
    Last edited by Liberty's Golden X; 11-16-2021 at 04:13 PM.

This chart, which I used in the article, shows that individuals are still the largest holder of treasuries and foreigners are still (for now) the second largest holder. The chart shows that foreign holders are dropping off, and I said in the article that that would continue and eventually the Fed would be the second largest holder and at that point individuals will sell. This is the Treasury/ dollar collapse that is coming. I never suggested that the tapper didn't fail in 2019. So don't really see what you disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty's Golden X View Post
    I disagree here. Foreign investors have been dropping off in the Treasury market since 2015 and the tapper failed in 2019 under Powell.

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/08/17/wh...-in-15-months/

Per Mises Human Action pages 423-424, "But if once public opinion is convinced that the increase in the quantity of money will continue and never come to an end, and that consequently the prices of all commodities and services will not crease to rise, everybody becomes eager to buy as much as possible and to restrict his cash holdings to a minimum size...This phenomenon was, in the great European inflations of the twenties, called flight into real goods or crack-up boom...The characteristic mark of the phenomenon is that the increase in the quantity of money causes a fall in the demand for money."

IMO, I would be watching the US Foreign Exchange Reserves closely and IMF issues of SDRs (Dollar 41.73%, Euro 30.93%, Yuan 10.92%, Yen 8.33%, & Pound 8.09%). The US will continue to export inflation until it can't. And who knows what the BIS is doing with their FX swaps.