Thread: What is RPF's opinion on employers requiring hirees to install apps on their personal devices?

What is RPF's opinion on employers requiring hirees to install apps on their personal devices?

A family member of mine's workplace wants them to download multiple apps to manage their work/authenticate their login. I've kind of coached them on not downloading unnecessary apps onto their phone and always to check the permissions. The permissions of these apps are basically the ability to do everything, from being able to harvest all your contacts to read/writing onto your file system. Their boss is really stubborn and just says "everyone else downloaded them" but I told them it's not safe.

I still have a flip phone. I wonder if I'd be fired if I worked for them, lol.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    There is a lot of contract work you can't do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    There is a lot of contract work you can't do with it.
    Yep, a growing number of "capitalists" hate money. "Sorry, I would hire you to generate profits for me... but you don't have a smartphone, so... kick rocks kid." Amazing how "free" market "capitalism" works, isn't it?
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

A family member of mine's workplace wants them to download multiple apps to manage their work/authenticate their login. I've kind of coached them on not downloading unnecessary apps onto their phone and always to check the permissions. The permissions of these apps are basically the ability to do everything, from being able to harvest all your contacts to read/writing onto your file system. Their boss is really stubborn and just says "everyone else downloaded them" but I told them it's not safe.

I won't do it. I had an employer that tried to pressure me to do it for 2FA access to the VPN. They had a text-messaging 2FA (like everyone else in the universe) but it was total crap, only sent the SMS like 50% of the time, and they had a 1-minute timeout on the 2FA code, so by the time you got the text, it was usually timed out already. Typically required 2-3 tries to get connected. ORRRRR, you could install their handy-dandy smartphone app which worked 100% of the time. If pushed, I was prepared with a secondary phone (my old discard) and I would have just installed the app on that. You're not putting your work spyphone app on my personal device. Go chew on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonB View Post
    I won't do it. I had an employer that tried to pressure me to do it for 2FA access to the VPN. They had a text-messaging 2FA (like everyone else in the universe) but it was total crap, only sent the SMS like 50% of the time, and they had a 1-minute timeout on the 2FA code, so by the time you got the text, it was usually timed out already. Typically required 2-3 tries to get connected. ORRRRR, you could install their handy-dandy smartphone app which worked 100% of the time. If pushed, I was prepared with a secondary phone (my old discard) and I would have just installed the app on that. You're not putting your work spyphone app on my personal device. Go chew on ice.
    I was thinking of getting them one of those cheap $20-30 dollar prepaid phones that are slow as molasses, but I can't find accurate information online if you're able to use wifi on them without first setting up a phone plan to unlock the ability to use the phone.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

I was thinking of getting them one of those cheap $20-30 dollar prepaid phones that are slow as molasses, but I can't find accurate information online if you're able to use wifi on them without first setting up a phone plan to unlock the ability to use the phone.
    You can access wifi on your smartphone even if you pull the SIM card out. So yes, it will work.

Get them to provide a work phone. Problem solved. Shut it off while not at work and don't put any personal information on it.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

We use LastPass MFA at work and because of my cheap phone they had to make an exception for those of us without two factors of authentication. I have a new phone now that has a fingerprint reader, but I carry my old phone to work, just so I can stick with the one factor authentication. They also use an intuit app for a time clock that has an app with location enabled, but I've always used the web based page just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Get them to provide a work phone. Problem solved. Shut it off while not at work and don't put any personal information on it.
    This is the route I'm going. I have five 2FA apps on my phone right now. To @ClaytonB's objection on spyware, I didn't trust my "smartphone" anyway, so adding a few apps to engage in business doesn't seem unreasonable because the underlying platform is still untrustworthy. I picked up a Pine phone a while back and recently resumed playing with it thanks to this thread. Hoping to air gap the personal and work comms going forward.

We already live in a world where we have an all caps strawman which lives a parallel "life" for us and agorists advocate for parallel economies. Looks like part of the great reset will include parallel equipment as well. My pre-'83 two cents.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    This is the route I'm going. I have five 2FA apps on my phone right now. To @ClaytonB's objection on spyware, I didn't trust my "smartphone" anyway, so adding a few apps to engage in business doesn't seem unreasonable because the underlying platform is still untrustworthy. I picked up a Pine phone a while back and recently resumed playing with it thanks to this thread. Hoping to air gap the personal and work comms going forward.

We already live in a world where we have an all caps strawman which lives a parallel "life" for us and agorists advocate for parallel economies. Looks like part of the great reset will include parallel equipment as well. My pre-'83 two cents.
    I have zero illusions about the trustworthiness of our spyphones. But "It is better to have one master than to have many"... if I'm going to spied on by the NSA/FBI/whoever, then let's keep it to that. I'm not going to voluntarily add my employer to that list beyond the extent I have no control over it.

I have zero illusions about the trustworthiness of our spyphones. But "It is better to have one master than to have many"... if I'm going to spied on by the NSA/FBI/whoever, then let's keep it to that. I'm not going to voluntarily add my employer to that list beyond the extent I have no control over it.
    Gotcha. None of my “employers” publishes their own 2FA apps so to me the third party 2FA risk is the same as the third party OS risk. Regardless, I think the separate phone idea is the best going forward for me. Ymmv
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

I don't understand this type of request.
    First of all, I don't work unless I'm on the clock, and if I'm on the clock I expect to be getting compensated.
    So asking me to carry around a work anchor at all would come with a matter-of-factual inquiry as to how I'm getting compensated.
    Don't get me wrong - I've done it quite a lot. I actually liked doing it in the early 2000s, because I was provided a phone, and I got $75 every time it rang, in addition to comp time.

Right now, I don't have a personal phone. I only have the one provided by work. I was *supposed* to put all the security wank on it, and I did, at first, until I noticed that 1) all it did was interfere with any work I actually did with the phone, and 2) nobody noticed when I uninstalled all of it.

I'm probably more savvy than the average user and a lot more willing to take risks with what's required of me. If I didn't have work experience and a prospective job was requiring I put crap on my personal phone, I'd probably be perfectly honest with them that the only reason to have a smartphone outside of work is to keep mainlining the social media cancer, that I don't wish to pay for one for that, and so the job would be requiring me to provide strictly work required equipment at my own expense.

If they persisted I'd take that as a gigantic warning sign, I'd state that out loud, and in today's job market, my understanding is that employers are having a hard time filling positions and probably can't afford to have many people walk over stupid bull$#@! like this.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I dunno. I’m an employer, we live in 2021. Instead of paper time sheets, my guys have to use t-sheets app on their phone to clock in and out and enter job information as a requirement to get paid. In addition, we require GPS tracking is turned on while on the clock.

If they don’t like it, they can find somewhere else, but nobody has complained.

My workplace requires us all to have smart phones, and they pay us a stipend on top of our salary to cover the cost that's more than reasonable. If I wanted to have a separate work phone just for this purpose, I could afford it with that stipend and still have another personal phone of my own that I would pay for out of pocket and be able to treat as none of my workplace's business.

In these circumstances, I don't think I have anything to complain about for their doing that.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

There is only one solution . Company provides a phone .
    Do something Danke