Thread: Black poverty and employment statistics before the welfare state

Black poverty and employment statistics before the welfare state

Hello readers.

Just yesterday, I discovered, hidden amongst my personal paraphernalia, some old slide sheets (for those of you too young to remember, these are clear, plastic sheets imprinted upon in opaque contrast for use with an overhead projector)... for a presentation to students I did while working on my M.A.

So let's look at some STATS! They are in bar diagrams, so my numbers here are closely approximated.

1) Negro Out-Migration From the South (Average Annual)

1910's: 43,000; 1920's: 78,000; 1930's: 38,000; 1940's: 160,000; 1950's: 143,000; 1960-63: 78,000; 1963-66: 125,000

remember, these are annual averages. what were they coming up north for? work, and to find less prejudice. They did receive assistance, however, especially in the 40's to 60's, but it wasn't welfare as we think of it today.

2) Magnitude of Poverty (Percentage of Each living under the "poverty level", 1966.
    Whites: 12%, Blacks: 42%.

Understand today, virtually 100% of welfare recipients are under the poverty level, as that's what qualifies them.

3) Some Characteristics of Riot Participants
    Race: Negro: 84%; Age: 16-24: 61%; Region of Upbringing: Same City 75%; Income Under 5,000 annually: 40%; Education: Some High School: 95%; Employment: Unemployed: 30%; Perceived Obstacle to Employment: Racial Discrimination: 70%.

I find it interesting that only 30% of riot participants were unemployed, and only 40% made under 5,000 annually, despite the fact they were mostly under 24 and Black.

4) Unempoyment Figures, 1967.
    White, all areas: 3%; Negro, all areas: 7.5%; White, central cities: 5%; Negro, central cities: 9%; White teenagers, 16-19: 11%; Negro teenagers, 16-19: 26.5%

Boy oh Boy! Look at how hard the Blacks were working, trying to get work, before the Great Society welfare state emerged! These are important statistics on many levels - and there are lessons to remember. Additionally, look at those teenager employment stats. Wow! Even the Black teenager stat is impressive, given today's society, and the fact that a lot of those Negro teens experienced discrimination at White customer service sector jobs, in the hiring process.

discuss?
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just because we all agree the welfare state is incredibly harmful doesn't mean we appreciate outdated words in headlines that large swaths of the population find offensive.

Yeah, yeah. It was the word they used fifty years ago. Redefining words as offensive is how Marxists trick people into ignoring the lessons of history.

And Snowflake is always, always willing to help them do it, because a libertarian society has much, much more to offer people of color than people like him.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 09-23-2021 at 09:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Just because we all agree the welfare state is incredibly harmful doesn't mean we appreciate outdated words in headlines that large swaths of the population find offensive.

Yeah, yeah. It was the word they used fifty years ago. Redefining words as offensive is how Marxists trick people into ignoring the lessons of history.

And Snowflake is always, always willing to help them do it, because a libertarian society has much, much more to offer people of color than people like him.
    How dare you call ME a "snowflake", when it's YOU who are. I'm only typing the damn actual charts. It's the actual headings.
    Take your fraud and shove it. I was getting my M.A. before you were an erection in your Daddy's dreams.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

I find both "negro" and "people of color" offensive terms to me. Extremists on both ends of the spectrum use those terms.

Normal people use black and white. It's just a factual descriptive term and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I find both "negro" and "people of color" offensive terms to me. Extremists on both ends of the spectrum use those terms.

Normal people use black and white. It's just a factual descriptive term and nothing more.
    I wrote BLACK in the topic title, not Negro.

Negro is the actual text in my slides because NEGRO was the term used in my textbooks. The moniker BLACK didn't even happen
    until the late 1960's. And, Negro MEANS Black anyway. These statistics were issued AS NEGRO by the United States government
    in 1967.

True, but neither one described the group I was talking about. Shades of gray, or brown if your tv is newer than 1964. I should probably be offended by the term, though, because I self-identify as a colorful character.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I wrote BLACK in the topic title, not Negro.
    It looks fine. Much better than it did four and a half hours ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Congratulations on using the current iteration as it changes every 5 years to keep the bull$#@! going.

The "United Negro College Fund" is obviously a racist organization.

There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    Please register your disapproval with this organization.

True, but neither one described the group I was talking about. Shades of gray, or brown if your tv is newer than 1964. I should probably be offended by the term, though, because I self-identify as a colorful character.

It looks fine. Much better than it did four and a half hours ago.
    I didn't CHANGE it, you nitwit. It was always Black. Why don't you leave my posts alone ?

Sick of you.

As usual, a discussion of critical data points got train wrecked into what "approved" words are used to describe the people or events.

Negro was commonly used, by both King and Malcom X, among most all others in the 1960's so to use it in a teaching environment at that time is not out of place at all.

In fact, "black" was considered the slightly pejorative term, no where near The Word That Shall Never Be Spoken (by white people), but getting close.

50 years later and there is no fixing this anymore.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11