Thread: Facebook Apologizes for AI Labeling Video of Black Men 'Primates'

Facebook Apologizes for AI Labeling Video of Black Men 'Primates'

Facebook AI mislabels video of Black men as 'Primates' content
    The social network has apologized for the 'unacceptable error.'

Facebook has apologized after its AI slapped an egregious label on a video of Black men. According to The New York Times, users who recently watched a video posted by Daily Mail featuring Black men saw a prompt asking them if they'd like to "[k]eep seeing videos about Primates." The social network apologized for the "unacceptable error" in a statement sent to the publication. It also disabled the recommendation feature that was responsible for the message as it looks into the cause to prevent serious errors like this from happening again.
    https://www.engadget.com/facebook-ai...044255703.html
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Could you ever imagine politically correct computer programming?
    FJB

The intrigues of Gnu-Klax-Klan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Well, as political correctness is one of the few things less logical than the Engrish--er, I mean English language, no. But I'm sure the comedy will only get funnier from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    The Woke certainly can (surprise, surprise):

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1279309239136198656

https://twitter.com/motherboard/stat...15385180491776
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1279309239136198656

You are definitely, without a doubt, the King Of All Twitter Looker Up-er-ers.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

LOL
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

This is so ridiculous it is hard to believe that this is even true, the real joke on me is that, this happened back in 2018.

"Master/slave" terminology has been removed from the Python programming language

Part of a comment over there.... "next up, changing the name motherboard to nonbinaryboard, ya know, just in case the board ain't a she or something...."

The companies that do this stuff are purposely ruining America.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again."
    FJB

Can we meme into real activism the need for them to pay $138.227 billion in reparations? (Facebook 2021 valuation)

If it actually happened then claim it is not enough, "I want my money", directed at Zuck to the tune $134 billion of his fortune.

Where is JG Wentworth when you need him.

* See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Can we meme into real activism the need for them to pay $138.227 billion in reparations? (Facebook 2021 valuation)
    Let Zuckerberg pay it out of his own pocket. I never called anyone a primate in my life, nor have I created something which did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Let Zuckerberg pay it out of his own pocket. I never called anyone a primate in my life, nor have I created something which did.
    Amen brother.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

So, Zuckerberg and Facebook are facing cancellation then, right? No? Color me shocked.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Is following pattern entirely accidental?

This controversial media co.'s apology might carry more weight if it stopped enabling and partenering with the "some races are more supremacist than others" dogma based mideast country that is notorious for racially motivated policies and was recently accused of racial vaccine switcheroo malpractice (of giving birth control shots to african jews without their consent), training cops of the US state where George Floyd died in brutality tactics, denying equal rights to people of all races.. and so on.

Peres, Mark Zuckerberg launch Israeli president's international Facebook page

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner 'blessed' by top Israeli rabbi who compared black people to 'monkeys'
    independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/ivanka-trump-jared-kushner-israel-jewish-rabbi-yitzhak-yosef-racist-us-embassy-jerusalem-latest-a8350536.html

Israeli Rabbi says hurricane Katrina was God's punishment for US policy towards Israeli settlemets
    The Associated Press

Sep 7, 2005
    Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, a former chief rabbi and the spiritual leader of the ultra-Orthodox Shas movement, said on Wednesday that Hurricane Katrina was God's punishment for U.S. President George W. Bush's support for Israel's Gaza pullout.
    A study of hurricane Katrina evacuees to Houston (who had stayed behind during the storm) found that 93% were black.

Where are the condemnations of Hurricane Harvey or Ida as ‘God’s punishment’?
    Ida Kills Dozens in NYC, NJ: What We Know About the Victims
    nbcnewyork
    Sep 2, 2021 — As of Saturday afternoon, at least 43 deaths had been confirmed in and around New York City and New Jersey.

Do big tech mistakes have a pattern?

Facebook mistakenly labels black men 'primates'
    04/09/2021

Facial recognition software has been blasted by civil rights advocates who point out problems with accuracy, particularly it comes to people who are not white
    Kirill KUDRYAVTSEV AFP
    San Francisco (AFP)

Facebook on Friday said it disabled its topic recommendation feature after it mistook Black men for "primates" in video at the social network.
    A Facebook spokesperson called it a "clearly unacceptable error" and said the recommendation software involve was taken offline.
    "We apologize to anyone who may have seen these offensive recommendations," Facebook said in response to an AFP inquiry.
    "We disabled the entire topic recommendation feature as soon as we realized this was happening so we could investigate the cause and prevent this from happening again."
    Facial recognition software has been blasted by civil rights advocates who point out problems with accuracy, particularly it comes to people who are not white.
    Facebook users in recent days who watched a British tabloid video featuring Black men were show an auto-generated prompt asking if they would like to "keep seeing videos about Primates," according to the New York Times.
    The June 2020 video in question, posted by the Daily Mail, is titled "White man calls cops on black men at marina."

Google apologizes for results of 'Michelle Obama' image search
    November 25, 2009
    An offensive altered photo of Michelle Obama disappeared from Google search results
    (CNN) -- For most of the past week, when someone typed "Michelle Obama" in the popular search engine Google, one of the first images that came up was a picture of the American first lady altered to resemble a monkey.
    On Wednesday morning, the racially offensive image appeared to have been removed from any Google Image searches for "Michelle Obama."