Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virginia’s Robert E. Lee Statue Coming Down

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1435684635602739207
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Charlottesville Robert E. Lee statue to be melted down for public art project

https://www.foxnews.com/us/charlotte...ic-art-project

The city council of Charlottesville, Virginia, voted 4-0 Tuesday in favor of donating a controversial statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee to an African American heritage center, which plans to melt down the statue and turn into a piece of public art.

The bronze equestrian statue of Lee, which featured prominently in the 2017 Unite the Right rally, was removed by the city in July, as well as another one depicting Confederate Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. The Virginia Supreme Court ruled in April that the city could remove them.

The council members voted to give the statue to the Jefferson School African American Heritage Center, whose "Swords Into Plowshares" proposal received letters of support from people and organizations that included the Descendants of Enslaved Communities at the University of Virginia, as well as descendants of slaves who worked at former President Thomas Jefferson's Monticello estate.

"Our hope with ‘Swords into Plowshares’ is to create something that transforms what was once toxic in our public space into something beautiful that can be more reflective of our entire community’s social values," the center's executive director Andrea Douglas said. "We’re giving people opportunities to engage with our own narratives and our own histories. This project offers a road map for other communities to do the same."

The group also raised $590,000 for the project, which will also include a "community engagement process" to inform the public about the art project.

The report comes days after Gov. Ralph Northam, D-Va., announced the imminent removal of the pedestal on which another controversial statue of Lee stood for 131 years in Richmond.

The land that housed both the statue and the plinth will be returned to the city, the state's Democratic governor explained in a press release.

"This land is in the middle of Richmond, and Richmonders will determine the future of this space," Northam said. "The Commonwealth will remove the pedestal, and we anticipate a safe removal and a successful conclusion to this project."

The pedestal had been defaced with profane, anti-police graffiti.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Andrea Douglas
    EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

https://jeffschoolheritagecenter.org/about-us/

Dr. Andrea Douglas, holds an M.A. and Ph.D. in art history from the University of Virginia and an M.B.A. in arts management and finance from Binghamton University, NY. Douglas has taught graduate and undergraduate classes in African American, contemporary, and art theory, and has published exhibition catalogues and scholarly articles. From 2004 -2010 she was Curator of Collections and Exhibitions and Curator of Contemporary Art at the University of Virginia Art Museum.

Douglas was recently appointed to the Governor’s Commission to Study Slavery and Subsequent De Jure and De Facto Racial and Economic Discrimination. She is also the co-chair of the President’s Commission on the Age of Segregation at the University of Virginia and sits on Monticello’s Advisory Committee on African American Affairs as well as the state’s History of Lynching in Virginia Working Group. She has served on the City of Charlottesville Blue Ribbon Commission on Race, Monuments and Public Spaces, the University of Virginia’s President’s Commission on Slavery at the University and was chair of the city’s PLACE Design Task Force.

which plans to melt down the statue and turn into a piece of public art.
    Annnnd...he's gone.

Turned over to a bunch of black Marxists, to be melted down into a "public art" project.

I'm guessing a circle of weirdosexuals, not to include any white people of course, dancing around a maypole studded with rainbow painted penises.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-08-2021 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Annnnd...he's gone.

Turned over to a bunch of black Marxists, to be turned into a "public art" project.

I'm guessing a circle of weirdosexuals, not to include any white people of course, dancing around a maypole studded with rainbow painted penises.
    Or a St. George Floyd statue.

Charlottesville Robert E. Lee statue to be melted down for public art project

https://www.foxnews.com/us/charlotte...ic-art-project

The city council of Charlottesville, Virginia, voted 4-0 Tuesday in favor of donating a controversial statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee to an African American heritage center, which plans to melt down the statue and turn into a piece of public art.

The bronze equestrian statue of Lee, which featured prominently in the 2017 Unite the Right rally, was removed by the city in July, as well as another one depicting Confederate Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. The Virginia Supreme Court ruled in April that the city could remove them.

The council members voted to give the statue to the Jefferson School African American Heritage Center, whose "Swords Into Plowshares" proposal received letters of support from people and organizations that included the Descendants of Enslaved Communities at the University of Virginia, as well as descendants of slaves who worked at former President Thomas Jefferson's Monticello estate.

"Our hope with ‘Swords into Plowshares’ is to create something that transforms what was once toxic in our public space into something beautiful that can be more reflective of our entire community’s social values," the center's executive director Andrea Douglas said. "We’re giving people opportunities to engage with our own narratives and our own histories. This project offers a road map for other communities to do the same."

The group also raised $590,000 for the project, which will also include a "community engagement process" to inform the public about the art project.

The report comes days after Gov. Ralph Northam, D-Va., announced the imminent removal of the pedestal on which another controversial statue of Lee stood for 131 years in Richmond.

The land that housed both the statue and the plinth will be returned to the city, the state's Democratic governor explained in a press release.

"This land is in the middle of Richmond, and Richmonders will determine the future of this space," Northam said. "The Commonwealth will remove the pedestal, and we anticipate a safe removal and a successful conclusion to this project."

The pedestal had been defaced with profane, anti-police graffiti.
    Whatever happened to "We just want to remove these statues from the public space and place them at a more appropriate venue such as a Civil War battlefield."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Only a matter of time before they come for Jefferson. That's the scary part - there is no satisfying these people.
    And a month later they did exactly just that.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

dumb move. The statue would be worth more as is on the open market than smelted down. Would it not be an insult to use that metal for anything monumental toward furthering the race?

Who owned the statue? Why should one race or entity benefit from its sale or melting more than any other person or race. Put it for auction and let it go to the highest bidder. Then distribute the proceeds back to the community in the form of tax relief.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Whatever happened to "We just want to remove these statues from the public space and place them at a more appropriate venue such as a Civil War battlefield."
    The same thing that happened when "We just want to get married and live our lives in private" morphed into, "I'm a convicted child molester who is dressing up as a drag queen and letting your 8 year old boy dry hump my leg in his school library, in front of a cheering audience of fellow deviants and if you say anything against it, I'm calling the cops and having you arrested for hate crimes, you cisgender white devil".

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-08-2021 at 04:17 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yah, or a St. Floyd statue...

The same thing that happened when "We just want to get married and live our lives in private" morphed into, "I'm a convicted child molester who is dressing up as a drag queen and letting your 8 year old boy dry hump my leg in his school library, in front of a cheering audience of fellow deviants and if you say anything against it, I'm calling the cops and having you arrested for hate crimes, you cisgender white devil".
    Pretty much this. And people ask me why I refuse to find "middle-ground" with Progressives. A pox on all of them.

Pretty much this. And people ask me why I refuse to find "middle-ground" with Progressives. A pox on all of them.
    No Quarter.

No Prisoners.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    dumb move. The statue would be worth more as is on the open market than smelted down. Would it not be an insult to use that metal for anything monumental toward furthering the race?
    Racist city council members voted 4-0 to GIVE it to to the local Jefferson School African American Heritage Center. They could just have easily given it to any number of Civil War museums or battlefields. This was nothing more than a "Let's hate on whitey" move.

No Quarter.

No Prisoners.

There should be a vaccine for progressillness.

There should be a vaccine for progressillness.
    It's not "silly".

There is a very powerful, well thought out, long term and very effective and so far almost totally successful war being waged by the Marxist left that this is just a small skirmish of.

Of course, this skirmish ended in a rout and full retreat as it almost always does for "our" side.

But this is not just a bunch of silly, pointy headed intellectuals being silly with some power they acquired by accident.

This is part of a cold, steely, deadly plan.

It's not "silly".

There is a very powerful, well thought out, long term and very effective and so far almost totally successful war being waged by the Marxist left that this is just a small skirmish of.

Of course, this skirmish ended in a rout and full retreat as it almost always does for "our" side.

But this is not just a bunch of silly, pointy headed intellectuals being silly with some power they acquired by accident.

^^^THIS^^^

Not all battles or wars are fought with bullets. Some are fought by controlling minds. The Progressives keep winning these battles and eventually it will win them the war.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's not "silly".

I agree. It is a progress illness progressillness. These people are incapable of independent logical thought.

I agree. It is a progress illness progressillness. These people are incapable of independent logical thought.
    Exactly.

That's why Lenin called them "useful idiots".

But if the Marxists are successful, these people will be first in line for the GULAG or the firing squad.

Racist city council members voted 4-0 to GIVE it to to the local Jefferson School African American Heritage Center. They could just have easily given it to any number of Civil War museums or battlefields. This was nothing more than a "Let's hate on whitey" move.
    I'm certainly not defending the Ch'ville city council, but I've seen this sort of thing happen with completely innocuous city (public?) property before. In one example several years back, the city council where I live sold a building to a guy for $10 (yes, "ten dollars") instead of auctioning it off. A competing developer went to city council and publicly offered $50k for the same property. They turned him down. It had nothing to do with race or any anything that might be newsworthy today, it was just a case of "preferred recipients."

Not saying you're wrong about "Let's hate on whitey," Phill, just saying that I'm pretty sure votes and campaign donations factored into their decision at least as much as, if not much more, than the race issue. I say that because I don't give those people enough credit to have much of an ideology.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Exactly.

That's why Lenin called them "useful idiots".

But if the Marxists are successful, these people will be first in line for the GULAG or the firing squad.
    Second in line. They'll want them to point us out first.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Second in line. They'll want them to point us out first.
    No kidding...

On the subject of the city council, I gotta agree with Phill on this one.

I'm certain that they came to that decision on ideological grounds.

They'd give the thing away to the Marxist activist group, before they would sell it for real money to the "Museum of the South" or something like that.

They planned to destroy that statue from the very beginning, because of what, in their mind, it represents.

I'm certainly not defending the Ch'ville city council, but I've seen this sort of thing happen with completely innocuous city (public?) property before. In one example several years back, the city council where I live sold a building to a guy for $10 (yes, "ten dollars") instead of auctioning it off. A competing developer went to city council and publicly offered $50k for the same property. They turned him down. It had nothing to do with race or any anything that might be newsworthy today, it was just a case of "preferred recipients."

Not saying you're wrong about "Let's hate on whitey," Phill, just saying that I'm pretty sure votes and campaign donations factored into their decision at least as much as, if not much more, than the race issue. I say that because I don't give those people enough credit to have much of an ideology.
    I've lived and worked on C'ville. It absolutely IS an ideological decision. As you say it may be based on votes and campaign contributions but that in itself is based in ideology. There were any number of Historical sites that expressed interest in obtaining the statues. The statue wasn't sold. It was GIVEN. If it was GIVEN than shouldn't the logical choice be to GIVE it to an Historical Museum? If not then there was absolutely ideological choice in the gift.

No kidding...

On the subject of the city council, I gotta agree with Phill on this one.

I'm certain that they came to that decision on ideological grounds.

They'd give the thing away to the Marxist activist group, before they would sell it for real money to the "Museum of the South" or something like that.

They planned to destroy that statue from the very beginning, because of what, in their mind, it represents.
    Maybe. I don't care enough about Ch'ville to look up their current city council members and find out their back stories, but what I've seen down here is that "ideology" is flexible for politicians. What may appear to be an expression of ideology is often just following trends to remain in power. My two cents.

H.L. Mencken

I've lived and worked on C'ville. It absolutely IS an ideological decision. As you say it may be based on votes and campaign contributions but that in itself is based in ideology. There were any number of Historical sites that expressed interest in obtaining the statues. The statue wasn't sold. It was GIVEN. If it was GIVEN than shouldn't the logical choice be to GIVE it to an Historical Museum? If not then there was absolutely ideological choice in the gift.
    Well, to reiterate, I did say "I'm not saying you're wrong." And maybe I'm splitting hairs by saying "seeking power" isn't an ideology.

As for local knowledge, I've also spent a lot of time there over the last 25 years. My wife is from Ch'ville and we were married in the Methodist Church across the street from Lee Park, as it was called at the time. A major factor in choosing to live in Roanoke was its proximity to Charlottesville.

H.L. Mencken

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So they are going to take a statue that one group finds offensive and turn it into a statue that another group finds offensive. That's some progress there.

With a knee on his neck.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Maybe. I don't care enough about Ch'ville to look up their current city council members and find out their back stories, but what I've seen down here is that "ideology" is flexible for politicians. What may appear to be an expression of ideology is often just following trends to remain in power. My two cents.
    I'm not "piling on" brother, you know that, but I did take the time to go and look who was sitting on the C-ville town council.

Every single one is a leftist democrat, one of which, Payne, is an outright communist.

Every single one, excepting Walker, are transplants from away.

Every single one, also excepting Walker, are white, who are the very worst self loathing and doctrinaire of "anti racists".

It was an ideological decision, without a doubt.

https://cvillepedia.org/Charlottesvi...il_(2020-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast