Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55% of non native households collect gov. benefits as opposed to 32% of native born

Exclamation 55% of non native households collect gov. benefits as opposed to 32% of native born

Enough.

Shut it all down.

No more migrant invasion of any type from any place for any reason.

Welfare Use for Immigrants and Native-Born Households

https://cis.org/Camarota/Welfare-Use...orn-Households

By Steven A. Camarota on September 1, 2021

Analysis by the Center for Immigration Studies of the latest data (2018) from the Census Bureau's Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP) shows that welfare use by households headed by immigrants remains high relative to the native-born. The desire to reduce welfare among future immigrants was the primary justification for “public charge” rules issued by the Trump administration that have now been abandoned by the Biden administration. Immigrant advocacy groups were right that many immigrants make heavy use of the welfare system, and the proposed rules might have impacted the ability of some prospective immigrants to receive green cards. The latest SIPP data from 2018 shows immigrant households continue to use welfare at higher rates than native households, though use rates for both groups were lower in 2018 than when we last looked at the data using the 2014 data. In this blog, we use the term “immigrant” to mean the “foreign-born”, which includes all those currently in the country who were not U.S. citizens at birth.

In 2018, 49 percent of households headed by all immigrants — naturalized citizens, legal residents, and illegal immigrants — used at least one major welfare program, compared to 32 percent of households headed by the native-born.
    Among households headed by non-citizens, 55 percent used at least one welfare program. Non-citizens in the SIPP include those in the country legally (e.g. green card holders) and those in the country illegally.
    Welfare use dropped somewhat to 45 percent for all immigrant households and to 51 percent for non-citizen households if cash payments from the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) are not counted as welfare. This compares to 28 percent for native households excluding the EITC. EITC recipients pay no federal income tax and, like other welfare, it is a means-tested, anti-poverty program, but unlike other programs one has to work to receive it.
    Compared to native households, immigrant-headed households had especially high use of Medicaid (33 percent vs. 20 percent for natives) and food programs (31 percent vs. 19 percent for natives).
    At 39 percent, non-citizen households’ receipt of both Medicaid and food programs was even higher than for all immigrants and much higher than for the native-born.
    Including the EITC, 25 percent of all immigrant-headed households and 27 percent of non-citizen-headed households received cash welfare, compared to 18 percent of native households. If the EITC is not included, then cash receipt by all immigrant and non-citizen households was only slightly higher than that of the native-born.
    Welfare use is high for both newly arrived immigrants and long-time U.S. residents. Of households headed by an immigrant who had lived in the United States for 10 years or less, 44 percent used at least one program. Of those in the country more than 10 years, 50 percent accessed one or more programs.
    Among households headed by a non-citizen who had lived in the United States for 10 years or less, 40 percent used at least one major program and for those in the country more than 10 years it was 62 percent.
    While most new legal immigrants (green card holders) are barred from most welfare programs, as are illegal immigrants and temporary visitors, these restrictions have only a modest impact on immigrant household use rates primarily because non-citizens (including illegal immigrants) can receive benefits on behalf of their U.S.-born children who are awarded U.S. citizenship and full welfare eligibility at birth.
    Other factors that tend to lessen the effectiveness of restrictions on immigrant welfare use include: 1) the bar does not apply to all programs, nor does it always apply to non-citizen children; 2) most legal immigrants have been in the country long enough to qualify for most programs; 3) naturalized citizens have the same welfare eligibility as the native-born; and 4) some states provide welfare to otherwise ineligible immigrants on their own.
    Trying to bar immigrants once they are in the country from accessing welfare is unlikely to be effective. If we wish to avoid high use of welfare by future immigrants, then moving away from the current family-based system to one that selects immigrants who are less likely to use such programs would be more effective. For example, welfare use by immigrants varies significantly by educational attainment, so placing more emphasis on education and skills as selection criteria for prospective immigrants would almost certainly reduce future immigrant welfare use.
    As we made clear in our prior analyses (here and here), most households (immigrant- or native-headed) accessing the welfare system have at least one worker present. But, often because of their lower levels of education, immigrants tend to earn lower wages, making a large share eligible to receive means-tested programs.

Methods

Programs Examined. The major welfare programs examined in this report are Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) food program, free or subsidized school breakfast and lunch, food stamps (officially called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP), Medicaid, public housing, and rent subsidies. Relatively modest general assistance programs run by states are also included in the overall welfare use rates and when all cash assistance is examined, but are not reported separately.

Data Source. Data for this analysis comes from the public-use file of the 2018 Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP), which is the newest SIPP data available. The SIPP is a longitudinal dataset consisting of a series of "panels". Each panel is a nationally representative sample of U.S. households that is followed over several years. Like all Census surveys of this kind, welfare use is based on self-reporting, and as such there is some misreporting in the survey. All means and percentages are calculated using weights provided by the Census Bureau.

Why Use the SIPP? The SIPP is ideally suited for studying welfare programs because, unlike other Census surveys that measure welfare, the SIPP was specifically designed for this purpose. As the Census Bureau states on its website, the purpose of the SIPP is to "provide accurate and comprehensive information about the income and program participation of individuals and households." While there are other government surveys that ask about welfare use, the SIPP is only survey that is specifically designed to measure program use and it includes as many programs as were discussed in our prior analysis. The survey is thought to better capture welfare use. There is no question that the SIPP does capture a large share of illegal immigrants. Other researchers and analysts have used the data as a basis to estimate the illegal population in the United States.

Examining Welfare Use by Household. A large body of prior research has examined welfare use and the fiscal impact of immigrants by looking at households because it makes the most sense. The National Research Council did so in its fiscal estimates in 1997 because it argued that "the household is the primary unit through which public services are consumed." In their fiscal study of New Jersey, Deborah Garvey and Thomas Espenshade also used households as the unit of analysis because "households come closer to approximating a functioning socioeconomic unit of mutual exchange and support." Other analyses of welfare use and programs, including one by the U.S. Census Bureau, have also used the household as the basis for studying welfare use. The late Julian Simon of the Cato Institute, a strong immigration advocate, pointed out that, "One important reason for not focusing on individuals is that it is on the basis of family needs that public welfare, Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), and similar transfers are received."

The primary reason researchers have not looked at individuals is that, as Simon pointed out, eligibility for welfare programs is typically based on the income of all family or household members. Moreover, welfare benefits can often be consumed by all members of the household, such as food purchased with food stamps. Also, if the government provides food or health insurance to children, it creates a clear benefit to adult members of the household who will not have to spend money on these things. In addition, some of the welfare use variables in the SIPP are reported at the household level, not the individual level.

Some advocates for expansive immigration argue that household comparisons are unfair or biased against immigrants because someday children who receive welfare may possibly pay back the costs of these programs in taxes as adults. Of course, the same argument could be made for the children of natives to whom immigrants are compared in this analysis. Moreover, excluding children obscures the fundamental issue that a very large share of immigrants are unable to support their own children and turn to taxpayer-funded means-tested programs. In terms of the policy debate over immigration and the implications for public coffers, this is the central concern. It is also sometimes suggested that a significant share of welfare use by immigrant households reflects the presence of adult natives, typically spouses of immigrants. But as Table 2 shows, when adult natives are excluded from immigrant households, it has very little impact on the welfare use rates of households headed by immigrants.

Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You cant have a Welfare State with Open Borders.

I never minded if people came to visit, but when they come to take our $#@! is when I have a problem with it.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

teh $#@!s gonna tell ya dat's raciss. They bring so much to our culture while you pay their rent. Like being able to eat their food and get your lawn mowed. While also paying for that.

Honestly, it's the 32% of native born that worries me the most. Born into freedom. Willingly given over to serfdom.

I would surmise that percent is higher than that in Southern Indiana.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Enough.

Shut it all down.

No more migrant invasion of any type from any place for any reason.

10 yr. moratorium. Not a single individual. Put our house back in order. Then we'll start thinking about it.

But, you and I know that is not how Marxism works. They must at the same time vilify Western Culture and the Founding principles and at the same time saturate the populace with foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Honestly, it's the 32% of native born that worries me the most. Born into freedom. Willingly given over to serfdom.
    How many are the children or grandchildren of gimmegrants?

SEND THEM ALL BACK!
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10 yr. moratorium. Not a single individual. Put our house back in order. Then we'll start thinking about it.

But, you and I know that is not how Marxism works. They must at the same time vilify Western Culture and the Founding principles and at the same time saturate the populace with foreigners.
    Moratorium until further notice.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Moratorium until further notice.
    What are your views on prior commitments (regarding US taxpayers funded Feeedom Nurturing Projects that have already strated laying eggs) that enjoy broad bi-partisan support though more so on GOP side.
    These immediate moral obligations are on on top of massive wars raparations calls already being made by our civilian allies from places like Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

US expands Afghan refugee program

Trump Endorses Prioritizing Afghan Refugees
    Aug 16, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post

I never minded if people came to visit, but when they come to take our $#@! is when I have a problem with it.
    Put the blame on politicians, and the people who would rather close the border instead of ending welfare. Closing the border is the worse solution, requiring ME to show my papers, restrict my freedom to travel freely, while still funding the welfare state.

Band-aids don’t work. Stop the problem at the source. Don’t tread on me!

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Yeah, that's insane. A third of the country is on the dole. That's clearly sustainable. i knew it was high, and a huge problem, but never thought it was about a third.

teh $#@!s gonna tell ya dat's raciss. They bring so much to our culture while you pay their rent. Like being able to eat their food and get your lawn mowed. While also paying for that.
    You you don't think that you paying for housing and food stamps for millions of immigrants is not worth having an Afghan restaurant in your neighborhood? Cheapskate.

Most of the country is on the dole. 6 in ten work , of those maybe 2 pay more than they receive.
    Do something Danke

It's interesting that Social Security and Medicare are conspicuously absent from the welfare programs they counted.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Our 1K new immigrants arriving at Atterbury today are all on the dole. Guess Danke is gonna have to work harder , get a second job.
    Do something Danke

All going as planned.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Our 1K new immigrants arriving at Atterbury today are all on the dole. Guess Danke is gonna have to work harder , get a second job.
    Hey. They put in their twenty years in the United States of Afghanistan Army. They probably get more VA benefits than you do.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Hey. They put in their twenty years in the United States of Afghanistan Army. They probably get more VA benefits than you do.
    they'll be using more than i do certainly.
    Do something Danke

So much racism in this thread
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    It's interesting that Social Security and Medicare are conspicuously absent from the welfare programs they counted.
    You know why.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries

Except we do... the welfare state has never been bigger and our borders are wide open.

Maybe the answer is for all of us to collect more from the government and then spend it on guns. The government should be giving us free guns anyway, its a human right and all. Hell the 2nd amendment states I have a right to bear arms.

GUN RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS!

I WANT FREE GUNS! (Paid for my the taxes that the government takes from me against my will so I can live in a civilized society of course)
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Put the blame on politicians, and the people who would rather close the border instead of ending welfare. Closing the border is the worse solution, requiring ME to show my papers, restrict my freedom to travel freely, while still funding the welfare state.

Band-aids don’t work. Stop the problem at the source. Don’t tread on me!
    You can't end welfare until you close the border.
    A tourniquet may not be a solution but it can be a required treatment.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Except we do... the welfare state has never been bigger and our borders are wide open.

Maybe the answer is for all of us to collect more from the government and then spend it on guns. The government should be giving us free guns anyway, its a human right and all. Hell the 2nd amendment states I have a right to bear arms.

GUN RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS!

I WANT FREE GUNS! (Paid for my the taxes that the government takes from me against my will so I can live in a civilized society of course)
    The Constitution requires Congress to arm the militia.
    The Dick act defines the unorganized militia as every adult male.
    I want my gun.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Irrelevant.
    They scam those too.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You can't end welfare until you close the border.
    A tourniquet may not be a solution but it can be a required treatment.
    Of course you can have open borders and no welfare. Countries did it for some odd nineteen hundred years, and a couple of millennia before that. What the hell are you talking about?

The Constitution requires Congress to arm the militia.
    The Dick act defines the unorganized militia as every adult male.
    I want my gun.
    The Constitution does not demand the federal government get involved in militias at all. Why do you hate the Tenth Amendment?

Irrelevant.
    They scam those too.
    Who scams what is irrelevant to his point. But don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure he only made the point to trick you into revealing it was too adult a concept for you. Which you did.

I hear this one a lot. But if it's really a true claim, then it's a big point in favor of open borders

Perhaps because working folks paid into that Ponzi Scheme for 50 years.. like it or not..
    and the return is not "welfare".
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Perhaps because working folks paid into that Ponzi Scheme for 50 years.. like it or not..
    and the return is not "welfare".
    Working folks paid money to be given to recipients of those programs. And when they themselves become recipients of them, it will be money paid by others.

This is the same as with all the programs listed in the study in the OP.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Of course you can have open borders and no welfare. Countries did it for some odd nineteen hundred years, and a couple of millennia before that. What the hell are you talking about?
    You could not walk into Rome, from any old place on earth, and claim to be a Roman citizen.

That would be a good way to get sold into slavery.

But it's also a moot point...your example is comparing apples to bowling balls.

Just a hundred years ago there were not 8.5 billion people on the planet.

They can not all come here, not without radically changing the nation, for the worse, into something totally different, alien and foreign.

That will not "secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity".
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast