Thread: Taliban Move to Ban Opium Production in Afghanistan

Taliban Move to Ban Opium Production in Afghanistan

Taliban leaders, seeking international acceptance after seizing power in Afghanistan, have told farmers to stop cultivating opium poppies, residents of some major poppy-growing areas say. This has caused raw opium prices to soar across the country.

In recent days, Taliban representatives began telling gatherings of villagers in the southern province of Kandahar, one of the country’s main opium-producing regions, that the crop—a crucial part of the local economy—would now be banned.

This followed a statement by Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid at an Aug. 18 news conference in Kabul that the country’s new rulers won’t permit the drug trade. Mr. Mujahid at the time didn’t offer details of how the Islamist group intends to enforce the ban.

Local farmers in Kandahar, Uruzgan and Helman provinces said raw opium prices have tripled, from about $70 to about $200 per kilogram, due to uncertainty about future production. In the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif, the opium price has doubled, residents there said. Raw opium is processed into heroin.

The Taliban have long been one of the narcotics industry’s top beneficiaries, using taxation of the drug business to finance their 20-year insurgency, Western governments say. Afghanistan accounts for some 80% of the world’s illicit opiates exports, and the poppy-planting season starts in about a month.

More at: https://www.wsj.com/articles/taliban...on-11630181316
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is the reason why other countries are planting their own opium. But, I'm wondering what would be the situation of those ill person relying on Opium as medicine in Afghanistan?

The Taliban have long been one of the narcotics industry’s top beneficiaries, using taxation of the drug business to finance their 20-year insurgency, Western governments say.
    This might be true.

But why does it sound inconsistent with what we know about the Taliban?

Or, could it be that this is simply not true.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other.

But this is just another reason not to read "news" from the "credible" outlets.

Well I guess China will step in and do their duty to become the main producer of heroin so they can make their fentenal or what ever that stuff is called.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    This might be true.

It's not difficult to follow their logic, if you try. When they were out of power, by taxing opium (to the extent they were able), they were making it more difficult to produce opium than it otherwise would have been, while funding operations while awaiting US withdrawal. Once the US withdrew, they were able to move in and shut down opium production outright, since they will derive revenue by taxing other, Sharia-legal industries. Not saying the Taliban are good, but the US-regime's demonization of them is wholly manufactured.
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonB View Post
    It's not difficult to follow their logic, if you try. When they were out of power, by taxing opium (to the extent they were able), they were making it more difficult to produce opium than it otherwise would have been, while funding operations while awaiting US withdrawal. Once the US withdrew, they were able to move in and shut down opium production outright, since they will derive revenue by taxing other, Sharia-legal industries. Not saying the Taliban are good, but the US-regime's demonization of them is wholly manufactured.
    Well, you know, the CIA has derived a lot of its income from heroin for a very long time. It's no wonder they're upset. They might have to depend wholly on freshly printed money. God forbid the Company be reduced to Congressional oversight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Well, you know, the CIA has derived a lot of its income from heroin for a very long time. It's no wonder they're upset. They might have to depend wholly on freshly printed money. God forbid the Company be reduced to Congressional oversight.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to acptulsa again.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonB View Post
    Were they collecting Taxes from the US Troops that were Guarding and Protecting the Poppy Production?

because that would be FUNNY.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    This might be true.

I think you are right, I think it even was banned previously when they were in power (could be wrong) but they never really enforced it strictly as they didn't mind the income.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I think you are right, I think it even was banned previously when they were in power (could be wrong) but they never really enforced it strictly as they didn't mind the income.
    It was indeed. And that may have precipitated the invasion. The CIA does dearly love heroin addicts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Were they collecting Taxes from the US Troops that were Guarding and Protecting the Poppy Production?

because that would be FUNNY.
    Doesn't matter anymore. So who's really laughing...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    It was indeed. And that may have precipitated the invasion. The CIA does dearly love heroin addicts.

Image credit