Thread: Last plane carrying Americans from Afghanistan departs as longest U.S. war concludes

Post Last plane carrying Americans from Afghanistan departs as longest U.S. war concludes

A historic mark following the "America First" revolt and amid rising public disapproval of the costly "Forever Wars".
    Previous three Presidents (Bush, Obama, Trump) own this 20 years long war and its costs; Trump and Biden should get credit for ending the longest war and the way it ended. Some pro-war neoconservatives including a prominent Obama administration official are calling for sending US troops back again but hopefully won't come to that.

Last plane carrying Americans from Afghanistan departs as longest U.S. war concludes

The final flight capped a bloody and chaotic end to the conflict, as fighting and terror attacks amid the evacuation scramble left hundreds dead.

Aug. 30, 2021, 5:08 PM EDT
    By Rebecca Shabad and Shannon Pettypiece

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon said Monday the U.S. had completed efforts to evacuate its remaining civilians and troops from Afghanistan, effectively ending the longest war in American history.

“I’m here to announce the completion of our mission in Afghanistan,” Marine Corps General Kenneth McKenzie told reporters in a virtual briefing. "The last C-17 took off at 3:29 pm."

The departure of the last U.S. plane from Afghanistan capped a bloody and chaotic end to the conflict. In the war's final weeks, fighting and terror attacks amid the scramble to evacuate thousands of Americans and Afghans left 13 service members and hundreds of civilians dead. The U.S. is not expected to have any diplomatic or military presence in the country after this point, officials said.

"The president stands by his decision to bring our men and women home from Afghanistan," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Monday.

Biden is expected to make remarks on the end of the war in the coming days, Psaki said.

McKenzie said more than 6,000 Americans were evacuated representing the "vast majority of those who wanted to leave at this time." He said the number of remaining Americans is in the "very low hundreds."

Feds to investigate whether 5 states that ban mask mandates are violating student rights

A White House official said Monday that since the Taliban took control of Kabul in mid-August, the U.S. had evacuated and facilitated the evacuation of approximately 116,700 people. Since the end of July, the U.S. has relocated approximately 122,300 people, the official said. About 1,500 Afghans were evacuated from the country over the last 24 hours and every service members is now out of the country, McKenzie said.

The evacuation continued “uninterrupted” Monday, the White House said, despite a barrage of rockets that had been fired toward Kabul’s Hamid Karzai International Airport.

On Sunday, about 250 Americans remained in Afghanistan and were seeking to leave the country, according to a State Department spokesperson, who said that assistance was being coordinated “around the clock for this group.” The official said that those Americans might already be at the airport in Kabul or “in the process of being guided there, and all have information on how to reach us.”

The State Department was also in touch Sunday with about 280 additional people who identified themselves as Americans but were either undecided about leaving Afghanistan or said that they did not intend to leave.

nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/last-plane-carrying-americans-afghanistan-departs-nation-s-longest-war-n1278012

Related

US expands Afghan refugee program

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd love to see the photoshopped aerial banner flying behind the plane "We Surrender". Hey that could be its own thread.

Quotes for the aerial banner on USAF Final Flight from Afghanistan:

"We Surrender"
    "America $#@! Yeah!"
    "Taliban Rocks"
    "Trillions of Dollars for what?"
    "Peace Out!"

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 08-30-2021 at 08:18 PM.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    I'd love to see the photoshopped aerial banner flying behind the plane "We Surrender". Hey that could be its own thread.

"We Surrender"
    "America $#@! Yeah!"
    "Taliban Rocks"
    "Peace Out!"

Any other suggestions?
    "Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again."

I like the spin. Completed our mission? We lost. We left Afghnanistan just like we found it, with the Taliban in charge but now holding 85 billion of US weapons. Hopefully they are being truthful and have somewhat moderated. Not that it really matters much to me. If they keep all the mess internal to Afghanistan and nothing happens here, then oh well at least it's over.

The usual suspects can't stop crying that the war is over.
    I'm for drafting all Neocons & Pro war Democrats.

"We Surrender"
    "America $#@! Yeah!"
    "Taliban Rocks"
    "Peace Out!"

Any other suggestions?
    "your welcome"
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Taliban pins terrifying 'night letters' on doors of those who helped the West in Afghanistan... warning them to surrender or die
    The Taliban are pinning letters to the doors of those who worked with West
    The notes order their victims to attend a Taliban-convened court
    Failure to do so will result in the death penalty
    'It is a clear message that they want to kill me' said Naz, whose construction company helped to build roads in Helmand and the runway at Camp Bastion
    Naz applied for sanctuary in Britain but has been rejected
    Often used in rural communities, the letters are now being circulated in cities

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ender-die.html
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"We Surrender"
    "America $#@! Yeah!"
    "Taliban Rocks"
    "Peace Out!"

Any other suggestions?
    We could have used the Ron Paul blimp for the last flight out.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Any other suggestions?
    Banner with a sentence wording might cost more but how abuout this:

Taliban Didn't Win in Afghanistan, the Defense Contractors Did

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Taliban pins terrifying 'night letters' on doors of those who helped the West in Afghanistan... warning them to surrender or die
    'It is a clear message that they want to kill me' said Naz, whose construction company helped to build roads in Helmand and the runway at Camp Bastion
    Naz applied for sanctuary in Britain but has been rejected
    This would be an escalation/shift if confirmed that construction workers are being targetted despite announcing "amnesty".

Previous reporting suggested they were going after entity that was accused of killing 9 Chinese Belt n Road engineers in a terrorist attack per China's Global Times report.

Taliban were ‘catching and killing us’: Afghan intel officer who fled to Delhi on last flight from Kabul
    The National Directorate of Security (NDS) officer said that the Taliban had sent them notices, asking to ‘revolt the government or die’.
    AUG 17, 2021

During past evac efforts, probably most vulnerable folks had been pulled out besides translators, if refugees evac is expanded to all levels of helpers including construction workers, refugees quota may have to be expanded to over a million possibly from current 50-100K range.

washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/mystery-surrounds-move-of-afghan-torturer-in-chief-to-us-amid-allegations-of-agency-abuse

Prez Biden speaks about huge costs of Forever Wars:

FF to 21 min mark in this video clip:
    https://youtu.be/abVP2BZtHd0?t=1275

Related

Afghanistan: Tony Blair says withdrawal was driven by imbecilic slogan

BBC News
    Speaking to broadcasters, the former Labour leader shared concerns, not only for the Afghan people who he said stood to lose out, but also for the security of Western countries.

In his online article, his first statement since Kabul fell to the Taliban last week, Mr Blair said the decision to withdraw was made "in obedience to an imbecilic political slogan about ending 'the forever wars'".

Mr Blair said Britain had a "moral obligation" to stay in Afghanistan until "all those who need to be are evacuated".
    He wrote on his website: "We must evacuate and give sanctuary to those to whom we have responsibility - those Afghans who helped us and stood by us and have a right to demand we stand by them."
    bbc.com/news/uk-58295384

Former Prime Minister Tony Blair wins million dollar Israeli prize

Feb 17, 2009 - Former prime minister Tony Blair has won a prestigious million-dollar (£697000) Israeli prize for his leadership on the world stage.

UK Press: 'Poodle' narratives get out of hand

BBC NEWS | Michael 'political' video premières

I suppose we left a Burger King behind so there's that.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!