Thread: 'Down the drain’: Millions face eviction after Biden lets protections expire

Post 'Down the drain’: Millions face eviction after Biden lets protections expire

'Down the drain’: Millions face eviction after Biden lets protections expire

The federal eviction moratorium in place since September is set to expire Saturday, after the Biden administration refused to extend it and Democrats in Congress couldn't muster the votes to intervene.

About 7.4 million adult tenants reported they were behind on rent. | AP Photo/Elise Amendola

By KATY O'DONNELL
    07/31/2021

As the clock runs out on a nationwide eviction ban for what’s expected to be the final time, millions of tenants are staring at the prospect of losing their homes as they wait for emergency rental aid that the government has failed to deliver.
    The federal eviction moratorium in place since September is set to expire Saturday, after the Biden administration refused to extend it and Democrats in Congress couldn't muster the votes to intervene.Now lawmakers and activists fear an unprecedented surge in evictions in the coming months just as the highly transmissible Delta variant causes a spike in coronavirus cases.

The eviction wave is expected to hit population centers across the country. Housing advocates point to renters in Ohio, Texas and parts of the Southeast — where tenant protections are generally low, housing costs are high and economic problems from the pandemic linger — as particularly at risk. Even though it has its own ban in place through August, New York is also a concern, because it has been especially slow at distributing rental assistance funds to the hundreds of thousands of tenants in the state who are behind on their rent.

“We’ve been circling a drain,” said KC Tenants Director Tara Raghuveer, a housing organizer in Kansas City, Mo. “On Saturday, poor and working-class tenants go down the drain in some places.”

Housing advocates are warning of awful images and hardships for many Americans who have suffered the most from Covid-19.
    “My biggest concern is the dynamic of potentially tens of thousands of sheriff’s deputies and other law enforcement officials executing evictions around the country at the same time in the hottest month of the year,” said David Dworkin, president and CEO of the National Housing Conference, an affordable housing advocacy group.
    About 7.4 million adult tenants reported they were behind on rent in the latest U.S. Census Bureau survey, which was taken during the last week of June and the first week of July. About 3.6 million tenant households said they were “somewhat likely” or “very likely” to face eviction over the next two months.
    Others say the population of at-risk renters is much larger. The left-leaning Center on Budget and Policy Priorities estimates that 11.4 million tenants — 16 percent of adults living in rental housing — are not caught up on rent.

In six states and 31 cities, landlords have filed for more than 451,000 evictions since March 15, 2020. | Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images

The lapse of the eviction ban, which was first imposed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in September as a Covid-19 safety measure, comes after landlords warned that it cost them billions of dollars each month. Industry groups including the National Association of Realtors lobbied against extending the moratorium this week and made the case to lawmakers that it "unfairly shifts economic hardships to the backs of housing providers who have jeopardized their own financial futures to provide essential housing to renters across the country."
    The industry groups said the ban has been especially difficult for the mom-and-pop landlords who provide 40 percent of the country’s rental units. They "continue to pay mortgages, taxes, insurance and maintain the safety of their properties for tenants with less or, in many cases, no rental income,” the groups said in a late-night letter to lawmakers on Thursday.

The White House announced Thursday that it would not extend the moratorium because of the prospect of legal challenges, which have been spearheaded for months by landlords. The Biden administration cited a Supreme Court decision last month that kept the ban in place until July 31 but made clear that a majority of justices believed the CDC was exceeding its legal authority.
    Biden urged Congress to intervene and pass a new prohibition, but at least a dozen House Democrats revolted as landlords and other housing industry groups warned of their own economic hardships.

politico.com/news/2021/07/31/eviction-moratorium-rental-assistance-biden-501917

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ever notice how the "news" is so one-sided on this? What about landlords? What about the guy who owns a single house and rents it? He also has bills to pay, such as his mortgage.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Ever notice how the "news" is so one-sided on this? What about landlords? What about the guy who owns a single house and rents it? He also has bills to pay, such as his mortgage.
    To be fair, there is brief mention near the bottom of the report:

"Biden urged Congress to intervene and pass a new prohibition, but at least a dozen House Democrats revolted as landlords and other housing industry groups warned of their own economic hardships."

I think that every time I read one of these articles that they are written like real estate is only owned by some big real estate monopoly. Not surprising since that is how they would like it and where we are headed.

They have never been able to get their hands on small, medium business and small real estate investors. Covid is the gift that keeps giving for the elites.
    Last edited by kahless; 07-31-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I think that every time I read one of these articles that are written like real estate is only owned by some big real estate monopoly. Not surprising since that is how they would like it and where we are headed.

They have never been able to get their hands on small, medium business and small real estate investors. Covid is the gift that keeps giving for the elites.
    I have seen people argue that private property is a concept that stems from white supremacy.

Good.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

https://twitter.com/HeyBooBoo16/stat...51366220062720

https://twitter.com/HeyBooBoo16/stat...51367549730816

https://twitter.com/HeyBooBoo16/stat...51368975724544
    Last edited by dannno; 07-31-2021 at 11:54 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

New York and California have extended their moratoriums. California is at least through Sept. 30.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don’t rent any of my properties to people I don’t know so this hasn’t been a problem for me, but I know several people with more robust rental property operations who have struggled with non payment. If it was me there would be some unfortunate breakdown in the HVAC equipment during the heat of the summer. No pay = no repair. Sue me.
    No - No - No - No

So the government has been giving you all the unemployment to stay at home. Yet somehow you couldn't pay your rent? Let me play the world's smallest violin for you.

My friend lives in an apartment building in Seattle. The building has to have at least 40 units. About a month ago a maintenance guy was there. He told my friend that he's the only one in the building that is paying anything.

Maybe that new iPhone or Xbox wasn't more important than paying your rent after all. Of course, the courts are so backed up, these government sanctioned squatters will probably live for free at least another year if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt4Liberty View Post
    So the government has been giving you all the unemployment to stay at home. Yet somehow you couldn't pay your rent? Let me play the world's smallest violin for you.

My friend lives in an apartment building in Seattle. The building has to have at least 40 units. About a month ago a maintenance guy was there. He told my friend that he's the only one in the building that is paying anything.

Maybe that new iPhone or Xbox wasn't more important than paying your rent after all. Of course, the courts are so backed up, these government sanctioned squatters will probably live for free at least another year if not more.
    That is true, but it's also true that the society has made it the case intentionally. The stories about so many jobs are false. Rents have never been higher.
    People need assistance for the same reasons so many cannot afford to live in this country. It's policy. No party is against the policy.
    Last edited by Snowball; 07-31-2021 at 02:04 PM.

How many are homeless because they can't afford property tax on top of mortgage?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

I am running for president in 2024. My logo is "covid's done! Get your lazy ass back to work and pay your damn bills!". Thank you very much.

Don't know why owners haven't been using axe handles on vagrants since the 3rd late payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    That is true, but it's also true that the society has made it the case intentionally. The stories about so many jobs are false. Rents have never been higher.
    People need assistance for the same reasons so many cannot afford to live in this country. It's policy. No party is against the policy.
    I can't speak for everywhere, but here in Washington state there's not a business that doesn't have a help wanted sign. Everyone running a business is desperate for employees.

Rents have never been higher, because of all the interference from the government. Even pre-government restrictions things like rent control caused apartments to be sold as condos. Artificially low interest rates and Fannie mortgages raised real estate prices. That also adds higher property taxes. Add all these together and you have dramatically higher rents.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I am running for president in 2024. My logo is "covid's done! Get your lazy ass back to work and pay your damn bills!". Thank you very much.
    Your hired!

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt4Liberty View Post
    I can't speak for everywhere, but here in Washington state there's not a business that doesn't have a help wanted sign. Everyone running a business is desperate for employees.

Rents have never been higher, because of all the interference from the government. Even pre-government restrictions things like rent control caused apartments to be sold as condos. Artificially low interest rates and Fannie mortgages raised real estate prices. That also adds higher property taxes. Add all these together and you have dramatically higher rents.
    ^^^this^^^

add to that, the supply side is extremely low and lumber cost are up. Its funny, these jobs are offering $15/hr (cause everyone bitched about min wage) and yet, nobody will work. Cause you know, unemployment keeps paying.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

File under "Some Animals" ...

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1427752597713211397

https://twitter.com/Not_the_Bee/stat...54610576535559
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

^^^THIS^^^

Out of Rep, cover me!

This makes me think if AF read any of this, how he would be talking about the fall of Rome, when people gathered in large angry mobs, not to protest, but to demand "Bread and Circuses". They want $#@! for FREE. Of course "FREE" means Govt just steals from you and gives it to them "for free".
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.