Thread: California Plans for Loss of Hydroelectric Power Due to Lack of Water

Exclamation California Plans for Loss of Hydroelectric Power Due to Lack of Water

Keep in mind in 14 years, all new internal combustion engine vehicles will be banned in Commiefornia.

Wonder how that grid will hold up with 15 million EVs charging up on it every day?

California Plans for Loss of Hydroelectric Power Due to Lack of Water

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...lack-of-water/

Joel B. Pollak 22 Jul 2021

California is planning to take a major hydroelectric power plant offline later this summer during a season of peak demand because extreme drought means there is not enough water available to run its turbines.

The Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday:

According to state water officials, the Edward Hyatt Powerplant at Lake Oroville could go offline as soon as August or September — a time frame that would coincide with a feared power crunch this summer. The plant, which opened in the late 1960s, has never been forced offline by low lake levels before.

California Energy Commission spokesperson Lindsay Buckley said the commission is actively planning for the power plant to go offline this summer. But the Hyatt power plant is far from the only hydroelectric power source in the state that will likely be affected by California’s extreme weather.

Like many things in California, recent travails at Lake Oroville have been a tale of extremes. In 2017, millions of gallons of water eroded the dam’s main and emergency spillways, forcing the evacuation of thousands of residents. The 2016-17 rain season was one of the wettest in California history, bringing more water to Lake Oroville than the reservoir could hold, which was one of several factors that led to the 2017 crisis.

Just four and a half years later, fortunes on the banks of the lake look vastly different. Aerial pictures of the reservoir — a key stockpile of California water supply and a popular recreation destination — have come to symbolize the current drought, with houseboats dwarfed by the steep banks and boat ramps that stop well above the water line. Lake Oroville is currently at 661 feet elevation with 982,000-acre feet of storage, which is 28% of its total capacity and 36% of its historical average, according to the California Department of Water Resources.

The loss of hydroelectric power would pose a challenge to the state’s electrical grid, which suffered rolling blackouts late last summer in the midst of a heat wave, as solar and wind power failed to meet the state’s surging energy needs.

Already, state authorities have issued several “flex alerts” this year, asking residents to conserve electricity during peak demand hours in the afternoon and evening. The state has tried to wean itself from fossil fuels and nuclear power, but renewables are not yet reliable enough.

Hydroelectric power accounts for over 10% of California’s energy consumption.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It will be a third world $#@!hole before 14 years would be my guess.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    It will be a third world $#@!hole before 14 years would be my guess.
    I'm not a religious man, but is this God's way of plaguing California behavior? In ancient times, the people would be sacrificing virgins by now.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I'm not a religious man, but is this God's way of plaguing California behavior? In ancient times, the people would be sacrificing virgins by now.
    In California?

Next I suppose they'll be trying to steal those from Flyover Country too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I'm probably going to have to let them know Danke could be to blame.
    Do something Danke