Thread: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts suffer huge declines in membership

Exclamation Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts suffer huge declines in membership

Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts suffer huge declines in membership

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...rship-78578702

America’s most iconic youth organizations – the Boy Scouts of America and the Girl Scouts of the USA – have been jolted by unprecedented one-year drops in membership, due partly to the pandemic, and partly to social trends that have been shrinking their ranks for decades.

While both organizations insist they’ll survive, the dramatic declines raise questions about how effectively they’ll be able to carry out their time-honored missions -- teaching skills and teamwork, providing outdoor adventure, encouraging community service.

Membership for the BSA’s flagship Cub Scouts and Scouts BSA programs dropped from 1.97 million in 2019 to 1.12 million in 2020, a 43% plunge, according to figures provided to The Associated Press. Court records show membership has fallen further since then, to about 762,000.

The Girl Scouts say their youth membership fell by nearly 30%, from about 1.4 million in 2019- 2020 to just over 1 million this year.

Both groups, like several other U.S. youth organizations, have experienced declining membership for many years. The Girl Scouts reported youth membership of about 2.8 million in 2003. The BSA had more than 4 million boys participating in the 1970s.

Reasons for the drop include competition from sports leagues, a perception by some families that they are old-fashioned, and busy family schedules. The pandemic brought a particular challenge.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why is this happening?

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-02-2021 at 07:51 AM.

Local troop is run by Christians that don't buy into the cooperate/PC BS, they're doing well.

Funds drive every fall at the local Mom-n-Pop grocery keeps them afloat without outside influence.

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 09-15-2021 at 02:45 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

The society they force us to endure under has massacred the natural world.

Very few youngsters are even interested in what remains of it anymore.

We are entering a new era for mankind that bears no resemblance to the bygone age.

There is no resistance to speak of in the West.
    Last edited by Snowball; 07-02-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    It's not just boy scouts and girl scouts - or even just youth organizations. It's "civic service organizations" (for want of a better term) in general. Lions Club, Elks, Moose Lodge, Masons, Kiwanis, VFW, American Legion - they're all in membership decline. My own gut feel is that people are now getting their "sense of connectedness" from internet social media rather than from these civic organizations.
    Oh yes, no doubt.

But I think the "kiddie-diddler" scandal combined with "going woke" is what is killing BSA now, and will probably finish them off.

Thumbs up

It's not just boy scouts and girl scouts - or even just youth organizations. It's "civic service organizations" (for want of a better term) in general. Lions Club, Elks, Moose Lodge, Masons, Kiwanis, VFW, American Legion - they're all in membership decline. My own gut feel is that people are now getting their "sense of connectedness" from internet social media rather than from these civic organizations.

Edited to add:
    With respect to youth organizations, in particular, I think that one of the things that's going on is that there's a dearth of adults willing to take on adult supervision roles. And I think a lot of that has to do with not wanting to put oneself in a position where you can be falsely accused of inappropriate behavior with minors.
    I think both of these points hit the nail on the head and explained way better than I could!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Oh yes, no doubt.

But I think the "kiddie-diddler" scandal combined with "going woke" is what is killing BSA now, and will probably finish them off.
    As an Eagle Scout and Vigil Member of the OA, the current trajectory the national BSA has been on since the mid 00's has been vile and disgusting. I have several friends who are fellow Eagle Scouts my age, that will not put their sons in the program. And I know others who have actively removed their sons following this nonsense from the top down.

But this is by design, and the way the left wants it. I do my best not to participate in the culture war, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And what has happened to the BSA in the last 20 years or so is evidence.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    As an Eagle Scout and Vigil Member of the OA, the current trajectory the national BSA has been on since the mid 00's has been vile and disgusting. I have several friends who are fellow Eagle Scouts my age, that will not put their sons in the program. And I know others who have actively removed their sons following this nonsense from the top down.

But this is by design, and the way the left wants it. I do my best not to participate in the culture war, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And what has happened to the BSA in the last 20 years or so is evidence.
    My son achieved his Eagle Scout rank the year before they started admitting girls.

My son achieved his Eagle Scout rank the year before they started admitting girls.
    That's awesome, congrats!

Edited to add:
    With respect to youth organizations, in particular, I think that one of the things that's going on is that there's a dearth of adults willing to take on adult supervision roles. And I think a lot of that has to do with not wanting to put oneself in a position where you can be falsely accused of inappropriate behavior with minors.
    Oh yes, no doubt.

^^^BOTH OF THESE^^^

And I will add, that people are turning over the raising of our youth to "Big Government", after school programs etc... also, I will add that people in general get/feel their connectedness through social media and big government than through their local charity or church group. I mean, why should I bother helping the bum on the street corner when I know (and have been told by numerous politicians) that government programs will fix everything. Combine this with kiddie-diddling and charity scams and folks shrug and say $#@! it, let government handle it.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...sby-conviction
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 07-02-2021 at 10:52 PM.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    ^^^BOTH OF THESE^^^

And I will add, that people are turning over the raising of our youth to "Big Government", after school programs etc... also, I will add that people in general get/feel their connectedness through social media and big government than through their local charity or church group. I mean, why should I bother helping the bum on the street corner when I know (and have been told by numerous politicians) that government programs will fix everything. Combine this with kiddie-diddling and charity scams and folks shrug and say $#@! it, let government handle it.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...sby-conviction

July 1, 2021, 5:54 PM PDT
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...abuse-n1272955

Boy Scouts reach $850 million settlement with tens of thousands of sexual abuse victims
    The settlement is the largest in a child sexual abuse case in United States history.

July 1, 2021, 5:54 PM PDT
    By Emily R. Siegel
    Tens of thousands of people who say they were sexually abused while scouts and filed suit against the Boy Scouts of America have reached an $850 million settlement, the largest in a child sexual abuse case in United States history.

More than 84,000 people are part of the lawsuit against the 110-year-old organization, which has been plagued with claims of abuse from volunteers and leaders since the 1960s. The Boy Scouts of America filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year as it faced mounting legal costs to defend itself against claims of sexual abuse against boys.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts suffer huge declines in membership

Why is this happening?
    Was not able to view if there were any images in second post but one reason could be that many conservative/christian mindset Americans might not be updating their views as fast as the progressives on hot issues of this era. Some hardcore conservatives/christians even view recent BS actions as "sin".
    There had also been reports of splintering:

Thousands gather to form alternative scouting organisation after Boy Scouts of America voted to allow gay members

• 1,200 gathered this weekend to choose the name and logo of the new organization
    • Formed in response to gays being allowed in the Boy Scouts of America
    • New Trail Life USA group aimed at young Christian men
    • Gays will be allows in new group so long as sexuality is not 'flaunted'

Angry: The decision, which still denies adults from serving as Scout leaders, has upset conservative groups who believe that gays should not be allowed in the BSA at all
    dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415788/Christian-scouting-group-launched-Boy-Scouts-America-allow-gay-youth.html

Potentially Related

U.S. and EU condemn Hungary's new ban on "promotion" of homosexuality to minors

Everyone who cares on iota for liberty needs to opt out of everything that's institutionalized.
    Just opt out. Don't partake.

Build up your local communities of like minded individuals and start your own clubs. Start a new form of girl scouts/boy scouts that hasn't been warped.

Ya know, these are the end days of the American Empire, and I daresay the West. Everything is falling to the horde, no one is there in defense. The only ones who are, are typically elderly who can't physically fight, ya know, the remnants of old America (for any sarcastic twit reading this, the apple pie and baseball America, not segregation America) that they are trying to kill off as quickly as possible.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!