Thread: Democrat Charles Booker launches Senate challenge against Rand Paul

Democrat Charles Booker launches Senate challenge against Rand Paul

BY MAX GREENWOOD
    07/01/21

Booker, a progressive who came within striking distance of the Democratic Senate nomination in 2020, announced his latest campaign in a video posted online Thursday. His decision was first reported by HuffPost.

“As we go into this day where we celebrate our independence, let’s commit to making it mean something,” Booker says in his announcement video. “And I’m not just asking that of you. I’m going to lead by example. And it’s with that understanding that we have to lead ourselves that I’m going to run for United States Senate.”

Booker is the first Democrat to launch a 2022 challenge to Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), a conservative firebrand who regularly draws the ire of the left. Only one other Democrat has received widespread mention as a potential Senate candidate, former state House Minority Leader Rocky Adkins.

Paul is likely to prove difficult to beat. He was last reelected in 2016 by a nearly 15-point margin and has $3.1 million in his campaign account. Kentucky is also a reliably conservative state that has eluded Senate Democrats for more than two decades.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...inst-rand-paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand would be hard to beat in any case and with a dem president in the 2022 mid-terms i dont think Rand will even need to spend any money campaigning

Striking distance???? He lost to the person who lost in the general by 20 points.

Rand said he is going to work on purging the voter roles of dead and illegals so he might ought to start in his home state of Kentucky.

campaign announcement video

So will the fact that the average low-information voters think he's Corey Booker help him because of name recognition, or hurt him because people think he's from New Jersey?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    campaign announcement video

Long video, can't tell what issues, if any, he disagrees with Rand Paul about... except maybe the whole everybody should have a good union job, lol...

Will be interesting to see if he brings up the Breonna Taylor $#@! in a debate.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Rand had better get on the audit bandwagon.
    Dominion could give the race to a cheese sandwich and they already stole the governorship in his state for practice.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tebowlives View Post
    Striking distance???? He lost to the person who lost in the general by 20 points.
    You sure about that? This article says she only beat him by less than 3%.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/06/30/88254...-democratic-pr
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Rand had better get on the audit bandwagon.
    Dominion could give the race to a cheese sandwich and they already stole the governorship in his state for practice.
    Are you promoting federalization of Kentucky's election process?

Please clarify. I'm sure all your sock puppets will otherwise be horrified to learn you're a useful idiot for the DNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    You sure about that? This article says she only beat him by less than 3%.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/06/30/88254...-democratic-pr
    Reading comprehension is important...

He lost to Amy McGrath, who lost to Mitch by nearly 20 points.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Reading comprehension is important...

He lost to Amy McGrath, who lost to Mitch by nearly 20 points.
    Yes it is.

From the OP:
    Booker, a progressive who came within striking distance of the Democratic Senate nomination in 2020....
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

The point I was trying to make is that the striking distance is a silly thing to say since he lost to someone who got clobbered in the general.
    Last edited by tebowlives; 07-02-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Are you promoting federalization of Kentucky's election process?

Please clarify. I'm sure all your sock puppets will otherwise be horrified to learn you're a useful idiot for the DNC.
    Point to anything that says federal in what I said.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Point to anything that says federal in what I said.
    How about, the place where Rand Paul works and the sort of bandwagon he's liable to find there.

How about, the type of initiative Rand confines himself to because he doesn't believe in exerting federal influence on state governments.

Do you know nothing of his history and habits in the Senate? Nothing? You know what he had better do, but nothing of what he does do?

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    How about, the place where Rand Paul works and the sort of bandwagon he's liable to find there.

How about, the type of initiative Rand confines himself to because he doesn't believe in exerting federal influence on state governments.

Do you know nothing of his history and habits in the Senate? Nothing? You know what he had better do, but nothing of what he does do?
    Being a Senator in no way requires him to take federal action, he is a citizen of the country and of his state as well and can do all the things other citizens can do.
    He can certainly speak out in favor of the state audits and demand an audit in his home state.

And since the Constitution mandates that the federal government ensure a Republican form of government there may eventually be a place for federal action against states so corrupt that they won't audit their own elections even after the other states expose the extent of the fraud.
    States controlled by politicians who are elected through fraud are hardly likely to fix the fraud that keeps them in power.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He might be a decently strong candidate in a purple state with a large black population but Kentucky is not that.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Charles Booker wears a noose in new Senate campaign ad blasting Rand Paul. Here's why:

Morgan Watkins
    June 1, 2022

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Charles Booker stands with a noose around his neck in a new campaign ad criticizing his opponent, Republican incumbent Rand Paul, for holding up legislation in 2020 that would have made lynching a federal hate crime in America.

The certain-to-be-controversial ad, which Booker's campaign released Wednesday morning, includes a content warning for "strong imagery."

It does not mention that Paul went on to co-sponsor a new (and bipartisan) version of that legislation. The Senate unanimously voted this March to pass the updated Emmett Till Antilynching Act, which is now law.

"The pain of our past persists to this day," Booker says in a voiceover as his ad begins, showing a historic lynching photo and a noose hanging from the limb of a tree. "In Kentucky, like many states throughout the South, lynching was a tool of terror. It was used to kill hopes for freedom.

"It was used to kill my ancestors," Booker says as he appears onscreen, standing next to a tree with a noose looped around his neck.

read more:
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ll/9913300002/

^ Comment I left on the youtube video

I think too much is being made of Rand's opposition to the lynching bill, which he actually ended up later supporting after a change was made. Also, he has introduced a lot of criminal justice bills in the Senate that would greatly benefit minority communities, such as the Justice Safety Valve Act to provide judges with greater sentencing flexibility, the Civil Rights Voting Restoration Act to restore voting rights for non-violent felons, the REDEEM Act to allow sealing and expungement for non-violent crimes, the FAIR Act to rein in police use of civil asset forfeiture, the RESET Act to address the crack sentencing disparity and how drugs are weighed, the Police CAMERA Act to increase the use of body cameras by police, the Stop Militarizing Our Law Enforcement Act to reduce the use of military equipment by police, the MERCY Act to restrict the use of solitary confinement on juveniles, the Pretrial Integrity and Safety Act to encourage states to reform bail policies, the Pregnant Women in Custody Act to protect the health and safety of pregnant women in prison, and the Justice for Breonna Taylor Act to end the use of no-knock warrants.

Wonder if Booker knows this new campaign ad has more dislikes than likes.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Wonder if Booker knows this new campaign ad has more dislikes than likes.
    Can we still see the YouTube like/dislike ratio?

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Can we still see the YouTube like/dislike ratio?
    It's only visible if you download the Return Youtube dislike browser extension.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    ^ Comment I left on the youtube video
    I think too much is being made of Rand's opposition to the lynching bill, which he actually ended up later supporting after a change was made. Also, he has introduced a lot of criminal justice bills in the Senate that would greatly benefit minority communities, such as the Justice Safety Valve Act to provide judges with greater sentencing flexibility, the Civil Rights Voting Restoration Act to restore voting rights for non-violent felons, the REDEEM Act to allow sealing and expungement for non-violent crimes, the FAIR Act to rein in police use of civil asset forfeiture, the RESET Act to address the crack sentencing disparity and how drugs are weighed, the Police CAMERA Act to increase the use of body cameras by police, the Stop Militarizing Our Law Enforcement Act to reduce the use of military equipment by police, the MERCY Act to restrict the use of solitary confinement on juveniles, the Pretrial Integrity and Safety Act to encourage states to reform bail policies, the Pregnant Women in Custody Act to protect the health and safety of pregnant women in prison, and the Justice for Breonna Taylor Act to end the use of no-knock warrants.
    Good text. It would be nice if Rand turned it into a campaign ad. I know he's not worried about Booker in 2022 but it might be helpful if/when he runs in 2024. It would be funny if Rand debated Booker, rattled off this list of bills one by one and asked Booker if he supported them or not. Also, what were the changes in the bill Rand demanded?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

RACE HUSTLIN Black Democrat Charles Booker Wears A NOOSE IN DISGUSTING Campaign Ad Against Rand Paul

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.