Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeSantis beats Trump in 2024 presidential straw poll

Thumbs down DeSantis beats Trump in 2024 presidential straw poll

Doubt anyone saw this coming...
    So called "settler's man" is now inching ahead of political heavy weight MAGA movement's leader who was the most popular leader among conservatives until 3D mishap few months ago:

DeSantis tops Trump in 2024 presidential straw poll
    By Tal Axelrod - 06/21/21

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) ran narrowly ahead of former President Trump in a straw poll of potential 2024 candidates in a survey conducted over the weekend at the Western Conservative Summit in Denver.

Of attendees who responded to the survey, 74.12 percent said they would approve of DeSantis for president in three years, compared with 71.43 percent who said the same of Trump. DeSantis won 275 votes, while Trump got 265.

The duo had wide leads over the rest of the sprawling field, with Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) coming in third at 42.86 percent approval.
    DeSantis leads Trump by narrow margin in straw poll

The poll underscores DeSantis’s popularity with the GOP’s conservative base.

Still, Trump would be a juggernaut if he ran for president in three years and would likely clear much of the primary field.

Neither DeSantis nor Trump has officially declared intentions for 2024, but the former president has teased a third bid for president.

“I'm absolutely enthused. I look forward to doing an announcement at the right time,” he said last month. “As you know, it's very early. But I think people are going to be very, very happy when I make a certain announcement.”

thehill.com/homenews/campaign/559382-desantis-tops-trump-in-2024-presidential-straw-poll

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    DeSantis could win the general election. Trump can't. The GOP will have to decide if they want to be relevant or not. The policy is fairly similar for both, DeSantis is Trump without the loudmouth and embarrassment.

DeSantis is being set up as anointed GOP nominee. These people are selected years in advance and engineered into the position, thanks to media and threads like this.

Media creates the persona, straw polls held by idiots (or even faked entirely) show the programming is working, threads are created displaying this false popularity, more idiots jump on bandwagon, reinforced by more and more media propaganda faking how popular the selected person is, eventually selected person becomes the next "electable candidate" and once again the idiots have fallen for the same okey-doke they did last election. It's how rich CIA oil tycoons, neocon warmongers, Mormon vulture capitalists and liberal NYC billionaires somehow become "standard-bearers" of evangelical conservatives.
    Last edited by devil21; 06-22-2021 at 10:03 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

It's because of Trump's pro vax bull$#@!. He is badly out of step with his base on one very big issue, and though they clap loud they remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    DeSantis is being set up as anointed GOP nominee. These people are selected years in advance and engineered into the position, thanks to media and threads like this.

Media creates the persona, straw polls held by idiots (or even faked entirely) show the programming is working, threads are created displaying this false popularity, more idiots jump on bandwagon, reinforced by more and more media propaganda faking how popular the selected person is, eventually selected person becomes the next "electable candidate" and once again the idiots have fallen for the same okey-doke they did last election. It's how rich CIA oil tycoons, neocon warmongers, Mormon vulture capitalists and liberal NYC billionaires somehow become "standard-bearers" of evangelical conservatives.
    social media also gives metrics on the efficacy of propaganda campaigns. Media will anoint as always.

Quote Originally Posted by bv3 View Post
    social media also gives metrics on the efficacy of propaganda campaigns. Media will anoint as always.
    Yep. That's what the Cambridge Analytica thing was really about. It's exceedingly easy for them to data mine what stuff each idiot party wants to hear then give it to them. They're being really obvious about it this time around. There are threads praising Catholic Zionist Jesuit DeSantis on other forums. It's easy to see that the threads are 95% shill posts pushing "President DeSantis". The few posts that call him out as another wolf-in-sheeps-clothing are entirely ignored.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

*sigh* It seems Rand has gotten little mileage out of nearly single handedly destroying the Fauci mystique. He beat Donald Trump Jr. and Mike Pence at least.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

This is a weird poll and the results are fishy.

It didn't ask who your favorite was. It only asked whom you merely approve of for president, allowing you to vote for multiple people (as many as you want, as far as I can tell). That's a pretty low bar to set for any Republican candidate in a poll of Republicans. The 70+% that the top two candidates is a low number given that context. And beyond those two, not a single candidate even got close to a majority.

Rand's 28% is abysmal if that really means that 72% of Republicans hate him so much they wouldn't even approve of his being the party's candidate.

Granted, the poll participants may not have taken the question the same way I'm taking it, and they probably neglected to vote for candidates that they really would approve of in order to do their part in making sure that the support their favorite candidates received wouldn't get too watered down.

But still, if the poll results are even close to accurate for what the poll actually literally says, then this is bad news for the GOP.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hwqi2nxc0...ng+Results.pdf
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    This is a weird poll and the results are fishy.

It didn't ask who your favorite was. It only asked whom you merely approve of for president, allowing you to vote for multiple people (as many as you want, as far as I can tell). That's a pretty low bar to set for any Republican candidate in a poll of Republicans. The 70+% that the top two candidates is a low number given that context. And beyond those two, not a single candidate even got close to a majority.

Rand's 28% is abysmal if that really means that 72% of Republicans hate him so much they wouldn't even approve of his being the party's candidate.

Granted, the poll participants may not have taken the question the same way I'm taking it, and they probably neglected to vote for candidates that they really would approve of in order to do their part in making sure that the support their favorite candidates received wouldn't get too watered down.

But still, if the poll results are even close to accurate for what the poll actually literally says, then this is bad news for the GOP.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hwqi2nxc0...ng+Results.pdf
    Wow! I didn't even think of that. Yeah...this is pretty depressing. I know straw polls are meaningless and all...but it's still depressing.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Why the "thumbs down" in the OP?

Desantis seems pretty rock solid to me at first glance.

I'd support him in 2024.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

I'd support him in 2024.
    I dunno about the OP. But I hate how bad Rand did. I wouldn't mind DeSantis being ahead of Rand. But Tim Scott? Tom Cotton? Mike Pompeo? Kristi Noem? And without the Rand takedown of Fauci the GOP would still be the "anti science fringe." No love from that? That's really the biggest story of the year and he gets no mileage? And I like Tim Scott. I'm okay with Kristi Noem. (I can't stand Pompeo and I despise Tom Cotton).

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I dunno about the OP. But I hate how bad Rand did. I wouldn't mind DeSantis being ahead of Rand. But Tim Scott? Tom Cotton? Mike Pompeo? Kristi Noem? And without the Rand takedown of Fauci the GOP would still be the "anti science fringe." No love from that? That's really the biggest story of the year and he gets no mileage? And I like Tim Scott. I'm okay with Kristi Noem. (I can't stand Pompeo and I despise Tom Cotton).
    I have no idea what Rand's problem is with regard to "likeability".

Agreed, I would have love to have seen him do better, and he did singlehandedly burn down the cult of Fauchi, which was sorely needed.

But something in him seems to trigger people for some reason, especially the Marxist mob, who are always calling for his head on a pike, literally.

The hate they throw at him is incredible.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

I found the Pompeo thing disturbing, on the bright side , biden , harris and sanders were also on the conservative poll and didnt do well .
    Do something Danke

I find Rand , Pence and Noem being in the 20 to 30 percent encouraging , within striking distance of Pompeo , LOL.
    Do something Danke

Notice that Ted Cruz is the only senator who beat Rand [Edit: my mistake, Tom Cotton also beat Rand, but just barely].

I'm guessing that the Senate is not in the good graces of the poll participants because the Senate voted to count the electoral college votes that were certified by the states this past January. Candidates who were not in the Senate at that time do not have that mark against them.

Ted Cruz at least voted to sustain the objections to the electoral college votes of Arizona and Pennsylvania. So he may be seen as someone who tried to fight the Biden nomination at that stage. But Rand didn't even do that much, which means that in Trumpers' eyes, he's a traitor. They don't care about Rand's opposition to Fauci. They care about his disloyalty to Trump. [Edit: the same point would apply to Cotton.]

I think a lesser matter that also comes into play is Rand's insufficient support of cops/insufficient opposition to BLM.

He is also probably seen as too pro-immigration.

[Edit again: My bad. Tim Scott too. I need more coffee. I'm not sure if any part of this post can be salvaged anymore. I think I'm still not far off the mark though.]
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 06-23-2021 at 08:03 AM.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul

Probably the most interesting thing was the items of interest for likely voters for the next election that drew around 70 percent ( more than candidates).
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And I like Tim Scott.
    Speaking of, what do you think of some of the other up and coming black conservatives like Burgess Owens, Herschel Walker, Candace Owens, Kimberly Klacik and others I can't recall right now?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Probably the most interesting thing was the items of interest for likely voters for the next election that drew around 70 percent ( more than candidates).
    Where do you see those?
    Ron Paul

Where do you see those?
    i think i posted those at 70 percent or more in open discussion , you were right about dirty immigrants leading the way at 82 percent.
    Do something Danke

Two of the more encouraging items were firearms rights and spending . Just when I'd given up hope for humanity they lured me back in for a glimmer of a moment.
    Do something Danke

The Western Conservative Summit is available on line now I think.
    Do something Danke

I'd support him in 2024.
    Honestly if Vernon Jones doesn't win GA governor in 2022 I'm moving to Florida. Kemp is either complicit in the Fulton County election fraud or he is being blackmailed, and I don't see him being any sort of effective governor even if he does win re-election in 2022.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 06-23-2021 at 08:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Speaking of, what do you think of some of the other up and coming black conservatives like Burgess Owens, Herschel Walker, Candace Owens, Kimberly Klacik and others I can't recall right now?
    Watch for N.C. Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson as a rising star.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Watch for N.C. Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson as a rising star.
    Definitely one to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i think i posted those at 70 percent or more in open discussion , you were right about dirty immigrants leading the way at 82 percent.

Thanks. The list of issues you gave doesn't bode well for Rand in the eyes of those voters and I think helps explain his showing.

"Election integrity" is code for "supporting efforts to keep fighting the 2020 election results." I think that supports my view that this is a big hit against Rand, as well as Cotton and Scott, and maybe even Cruz to a lesser extent. And this is certainly why Pence was so far down on the list.

Lockdowns/COVID response don't show up in your listed issues (was that somewhere further down on the list though?).

Yeah, budget and gun rights are good issues for Rand. But I would guess that most of those voters would believe that all the candidates above him are just as good on those, even if it they shouldn't.
    Ron Paul

Thanks. The list of issues you gave doesn't bode well for Rand in the eyes of those voters and I think helps explain his showing.

"Election integrity" is code for "supporting efforts to keep fighting the 2020 election results." I think that supports my view that this is a big hit against Rand, as well as Cotton and Scott, and maybe even Cruz to a lesser extent. And this is certainly why Pence was so far down on the list.

Lockdowns/COVID response don't show up in your listed issues (was that somewhere further down on the list though?).

Yeah, budget and gun rights are good issues for Rand. But I would guess that most of those voters would believe that all the candidates above him are just as good on those, even if it they shouldn't.
    i still cant even figure out how pompeo is on there at all so i'll continue to look at this and try and make sense of it , although it does make some sense to me that governors and former governors would be viewed more favorably than senators or congress. Responders were asked to mark 25 policy issues important to them, I dont have a full list.
    Last edited by oyarde; 06-23-2021 at 08:38 AM.
    Do something Danke

i still cant even figure out how pompeo is on there at all so i'll continue to look at this and try and make sense of it , although it does make some sense to me that governors and former governors would be viewed more favorably than senators or congress.
    Support for Pompeo is essentially support for Trump. Pompeo is seen as someone who continued to give moral support to Trump in his fight over the election results. Granted, it was easier for him, since he didn't have to cast any official votes on it or do anything else substantive.

Perhaps what's more difficult to explain would be the cognitive disconnect experienced by those who can't stand Pompeo but who still ardently support Trump.

What is it about Pompeo that you think the "conservative" voters in this poll would not be likely to support?
    Ron Paul

Notice that Ted Cruz is the only senator who beat Rand [Edit: my mistake, Tom Cotton also beat Rand, but just barely].

I'm guessing that the Senate is not in the good graces of the poll participants because the Senate voted to count the electoral college votes that were certified by the states this past January. Candidates who were not in the Senate at that time do not have that mark against them.

Ted Cruz at least voted to sustain the objections to the electoral college votes of Arizona and Pennsylvania. So he may be seen as someone who tried to fight the Biden nomination at that stage. But Rand didn't even do that much, which means that in Trumpers' eyes, he's a traitor. They don't care about Rand's opposition to Fauci. They care about his disloyalty to Trump. [Edit: the same point would apply to Cotton.]

I think a lesser matter that also comes into play is Rand's insufficient support of cops/insufficient opposition to BLM.

He is also probably seen as too pro-immigration.

[Edit again: My bad. Tim Scott too. I need more coffee. I'm not sure if any part of this post can be salvaged anymore. I think I'm still not far off the mark though.]
    I wouldn't necessarily put that down as expressly a Trump issue. Over half of Republicans don't believe it was a fair election and that it was stolen through fraud. I don't think it would matter who was president, that just sticks in the craw.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily put that down as expressly a Trump issue. Over half of Republicans don't believe it was a fair election and that it was stolen through fraud. I don't think it would matter who was president, that just sticks in the craw.
    For a pretty good percentage of those Republicans who believe that, their reason for believing it cannot be separated from their support for Trump. They were already convinced of it the morning after the election the second they saw that the results had changed from what they had seen when they went to bed the night before.

And their belief that the Senate's role on January 6 was anything other than to count the same electoral votes that the states had certified and sent to them was definitely all about loyalty to Trump. If Trump had conceded and not supported that scheme, even if he did remain convinced that some kind of fraud cost him the election, neither would his supporters have, except for the most marginalized and irrelevant among them.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 06-23-2021 at 08:58 AM.
    Ron Paul

Support for Pompeo is essentially support for Trump. Pompeo is seen as someone who continued to give moral support to Trump in his fight over the election results. Granted, it was easier for him, since he didn't have to cast any official votes on it or do anything else substantive.

Perhaps what's more difficult to explain would be the cognitive disconnect experienced by those who can't stand Pompeo but who still ardently support Trump.

What is it about Pompeo that you think the "conservative" voters in this poll would not be likely to support?
    Pompeo has to be less likeable to a conservative than Rand, maybe pompeo votes are like jesse jackson votes , done for laughs.
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast