Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Guys, do NOT use fake names.

Quote Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
    xexkxex,
    I went back to look for the post #, and I think I might have gotten this thread confused with the Hillary Clinton thread, the one with the pictures. Pardon my blunder. In any case, just to clarify what I'm referring to, under the name of the donor appears the city and state, and someone brought up that they saw a state of ZZ. I've seen it, too, today and on Nov. 5th. Just responding with what little I know about ZZ.
    Oh..Ok... that is good to know...thanks...If I would have seen it I would have been asking about it too.....

By the way...welcome to the boards, you can call me Charles....I know xexkxex does not rolloff the fingers well...and good morning....5:30 here ....
    Last edited by xexkxex; 12-16-2007 at 05:23 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You're welcome, Charles, and thank you for the friendly greeting. It's 3:30 and past my bedtime, but didn't want to miss the opening salvo of the teaparty.
    Edit: We have a creek running behind the place here. We thought about dumping a little tea of our own into it, but since it's glacier melt, snow melt and rain, plus it's rushing by at a tremendous speed, didn't think it would be too smart to get out there on the edge to toss some Lipton in.
    Last edited by Cascadian; 12-16-2007 at 05:32 AM.

It is impossible to tell if the donors using fake names are Ron Paul enthusiasts, or others trying to damage his campaign somehow. Use of a fake name might make the credit card order go awry, among other potential problems.

Whatever else happens, the Federal Election Commission is going to be mean to Dr. Paul. It is in their nature to be vile, statist jerks. So, of course, they are going to scrutinize every contribution he's received to the best of their ability. Why not? It is only taxpayer dollars they waste in doing so, would be their thinking. Those in power do not like to have power limited, checked by constitutional limits, or revised. Dr. Paul is no friend of big government, so we cannot expect big government to be friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by planetaryjim View Post
    It is impossible to tell if the donors using fake names are Ron Paul enthusiasts, or others trying to damage his campaign somehow. Use of a fake name might make the credit card order go awry, among other potential problems.

Whatever else happens, the Federal Election Commission is going to be mean to Dr. Paul. It is in their nature to be vile, statist jerks. So, of course, they are going to scrutinize every contribution he's received to the best of their ability. Why not? It is only taxpayer dollars they waste in doing so, would be their thinking. Those in power do not like to have power limited, checked by constitutional limits, or revised. Dr. Paul is no friend of big government, so we cannot expect big government to be friendly.
    You have valid points....but this conversation is over...Let's let it die and hope for the best...

All anyone wants is what is best for the campaign...and we think using fake names is something they would shine away from and not want us to do or promote.

I'm sure we all can agree on that. This is not my position alone...it is the campaign's position.

Lets go look at the graph!!! MUahahahaHahahhahaHAHaahaAH

if you used a fake name, the card donation would not be accepted, so it must not be any of us

My guess is that it's Ron Paul haters doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by thuja View Post
    if you used a fake name, the card donation would not be accepted, so it must not be any of us
    As a business owner....I will tell you first hand that it will and I would have to deal with it later....

This is due to spouses and children of parents being able to use the household providers card...

and...god forbid....if this is big enough..we and the media would hear about it...let's hope for the best..

All anyone wants is what is best for the campaign...and we think using fake names is something they would shine away from and not want us to do or promote.

I'm sure we all can agree on that. This is not my position alone...it is the campaign's position.
    Last edited by xexkxex; 12-16-2007 at 05:48 AM.

I just saw Mike Huckabee in the donate widget. *sigh*

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yep, spotted that as well.

I don't think the displayed name matters as long as the credit card is sound...

Federal Elections Law

If you don't use your real name, you are violating Federal elections law.

While I may disagree with that law, to violate it at this point hurts the cause.

Read the actual paper form:

https://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/RP2008-Reply-form.pdf

Full Name*:___________________________________________
    FEC requires names be spelled out and will not accept initials.

*Required Information

Federal law requires we report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of
    employer for contributions of more than $200.00 per election cycle. Individuals may contribute
    up to $2,300.00. Couples may contribute up to $4,600.00. Contributions are not deductible
    as charitable contributions. Corporate contributions are prohibited.
    The campaign is required not to provide the name on the credit card, which might be a nickname, to the FEC. It is required to provide the name on the form. Why would we want to create problems for the campaign with the FEC?

I dont know if it has been pointed out, but if a user is using Pay Pal, that could be why the name can go though incorrect. The only thing we can hope is that the pay inquiry can cross check the email address used to make the payment.

Not only is making campaign contributions under a false name not allowed, but the campaign cannot knowingly accept such contributions.

The Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) directly prohibits any person from making political contributions in the name of another. Title 2 U.S.C. § 441f.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...11cfr110.4.htm

From the FEC website:

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/c..._Contributions

Contributions in the Name of Another

Contributions made by one person in the name of another are prohibited. No person may knowingly permit the use of his or her name to effect such a contribution. It is also prohibited to knowingly assist someone in making or to accept a contribution in the name of another. It is also unlawful to knowingly permit the use of one's name to effect a contribution in the name of another or to help someone make or accept such a contribution. 11 CFR 110.4(b).
    Edit: The name on the credit card is not good enough, as a credit card may be in a nickname. My real first name isn't on my credit card. The campaign is reqired to provide your first and last name.

It creates problems for the campaign. They will end up being subtracted from our total today. This is what they have to go through when recieving prohibited contributions:

Handling Illegal Contributions

The treasurer of a committee is responsible for ensuring that all contributions are lawful. 11 CFR 103.3(b). If the treasurer has reason to suspect that a contribution is excessive or prohibited, he or she must, within 10 days of receiving the contribution, either return the contribution to the donor or deposit the contribution. 11 CFR 103.3(a). If the contribution is deposited, the treasurer must:

Maintain sufficient funds in the account to refund the contribution should it prove to be illegal or place the contribution in a separate account for this purpose;

Keep written records noting the basis for the appearance of illegality;
    Note that the legality of the contribution is in question when reporting the receipt of the contribution; and

Comply with appropriate deadlines (see sections below).
    11 CFR 103.3(b)(4) and (5).
    Last edited by dc74rp; 12-16-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dc74rp View Post

While I may disagree with that law, to violate it at this point hurts the cause.

Read the actual paper form:

https://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/RP2008-Reply-form.pdf

The campaign is required not to provide the name on the credit card, which might be a nickname, to the FEC. It is required to provide the name on the form. Why would we want to create problems for the campaign with the FEC?
    Thank you for this. Cannot be emphasized enough. May look funny seeing weird names flash on the screen, but please act maturely with this kind of issue.

the name on credit card has to be real and should match name of donor
    let it be remembered that never again in the future of political campaigns will a candidate receive the same support, enthusiasm and donations UNLESS the message is about liberty, freedom, peace, and the constituion. accept no imitations

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I imagine these forums are currently making a bigger deal out of this than the media ever would (I'm not sure that Digg counts as mainstream quite yet), and I think people get the idea.
    Bingo. A stupid name won't violate any laws or cause any problems. As long as the credit card information is valid and yours, you'll be fine.

Not saying anyone should use a stupid name, but it's not illegal.

We are the Ron Paul Revolution.

Ask yourself...Would Ron Paul use a fake name?

Quote Originally Posted by dvictr View Post
    the name on credit card has to be real and should match name of donor
    No,

Although you must provide your correct personal info to a credit card company or bank, you don't have to have your real first name on a debit or credit card, it can be a nickname as long as your not trying to hide your identity from them. My real first name is not on my credit card.

Bump

C'mon guys, this is a BAD idea.......

Not only is making campaign contributions under a false name not allowed, but the campaign cannot knowingly accept such contributions.

The Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) directly prohibits any person from making political contributions in the name of another. Title 2 U.S.C. § 441f.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...11cfr110.4.htm

From the FEC website:

Edit: The name on the credit card is not good enough, as a credit card may be in a nickname. My real first name isn't on my credit card. The campaign is reqired to provide your first and last name.

It creates problems for the campaign. They will end up being subtracted from our total today. This is what they have to go through when recieving prohibited contributions:

added to first post. thanks.

I've seen the screenshots of Hillary and Rudy. Represent yourself! It's funny but this is important!
    ‎"dancing... is a healthy exercise, elegant and very attractive..." ~ Thomas Jefferson, March 14, 1818

They hate us for our policies, not our freedoms.

In America you don't have a "real" name (not with the state-sanctioned state-approved connotations in your post). You have whatever name you like. Let's not go ahead and give up that right to the state when they haven't even explicitly tried to take it yet (although they certainly have tried to take it in many subtle ways, with issues of ID and going so far as the present one we're discussing).
    Last edited by Mark Rushmore; 12-16-2007 at 02:43 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345