Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: CPI jumps 5% in May of 2021, fastest since 2008

US in its glorious attempt to out third world the third world saw an increase of about 40 percent in vegetable prices last month according to the bureau of labor (dept) . Wholesale california romaine now 75 a case and was 25 a case last Jan. Thats nearly a 200 percent increase in 11 months . In case nobody has noticed , things are not improving .
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-09-2022 at 05:50 PM.
    Do something Danke

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    US household wealth down 13 1/2 trillion in first three quarters of 2022. To put that in perspective , only surpassed by the great obama- biden depression/crash following the 2008/2009 crash. We are now expecting a recession in 2023 but this precedes that .
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-10-2022 at 02:28 PM.
    Do something Danke

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Americans cutting back on spending this Christmas . Tomorrow the new inflation number will come out . It is of no matter , doesnt matter if it is 7 1/4 or 7 1/2 it really isnt going down.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Americans cutting back on spending this Christmas . Tomorrow the new inflation number will come out . It is of no matter , doesnt matter if it is 7 1/4 or 7 1/2 it really isnt going down.
    Well, we're starting to catch up to last year's peaks, so the percentage increase will probably start coming down because last year's increases are already baked in. The media will say how Janet Yellen was right, but even if you take last year's 7% inflation and add it to this year's 6% inflation, that doesn't mean inflation is coming down. So, even though you're right, they'll use the numbers game to run with their narrative.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Consumer Price Index Comes In Cooler Than Expected

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...than-expected/
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Consumer Price Index Comes In Cooler Than Expected

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...than-expected/
    The November Consumer Price Index (CPI), showed prices increased by 7.1% over the same time last year, and only a 0.1% increase over the prior month, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics release on Tuesday.
    November 2021 was 6.8% over 2020. November 2022 was 7.1% over that.

But because it came in lower than the 7.3% predictions, they'll report this as good news. The corporate press have zero shame.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

But because it came in lower than the 7.3% predictions, they'll report this as good news. The corporate press have zero shame.
    They are old and expert hands at such shenanigans.

(It's exactly the same thing they do when they apply the term "spending cut" to describe increased government spending on some line item, if the increase is less than a previously intended or budgeted amount.)

To paraphrase Michael Malice: They use language to manipulate and obfuscate, not to inform or communicate.

To quote him exactly: "The corporate press is factual but not truthful."
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-14-2022 at 08:35 AM.

"I don't think anyone knows whether we're going to have a recession or not, and if we do, whether it's going to be a deep one or not. It's just ... it's not knowable." -- Jerome Powell

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/...64290941124613

Even Christmas in America could not save the economy . Retail sales fall over a half percent in Nov from Oct according to bureau of kommerce . Spending on automobiles , clothing , sporting goods ( very bad sign), consumer electronics and furniture declined. Spending on groceries increased as expected due to the third world inflation ( 40 percent increase in vegetables alone ). Groceries and drinks in bars up nearly a percent while gas purchases fell only .1 percent but auto sales down nearly 2 1/2 percent . Americans are buying less gifts as they plan for the new depression expected to have already started.
    Do something Danke

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    "I don't think anyone knows whether we're going to have a recession or not, and if we do, whether it's going to be a deep one or not. It's just ... it's not knowable." -- Jerome Powell
    I think we're going to have a major depression based on the size of the bubble popping. And the size of the bubble is proportional to the amount of stimulus.

The 2008 financial crisis:

Borrowed: 5 trillion
    Interest rates: 2% for 3 years
    Money printed: -

The coming crisis:

Borrowed: 20 trillion
    Interest rates: 0% for 10 years
    Money printed: 8 trillion.

I think anyone saying otherwise is making the classic broken window fallacy. They're not looking at the economy as a whole, just whatever piece they've found that makes it look ok.

US household wealth down 13 1/2 trillion in first three quarters of 2022. To put that in perspective , only surpassed by the great obama- biden depression/crash following the 2008/2009 crash. We are now expecting a recession in 2023 but this precedes that .
    You always seem to leave out Bush and Trump. Remember, the 2008 crash came on Bush's watch and Trump doubled the size of the govt in only 4 years.

Actually it's usually wrong to blame one party or the other for any particular economic event. The causes of most of these economic problems happen years before the problem surfaces. Mainly it's just too much spending, borrowing and printing.

Both parties suck.

@Occam's Banana

Video Tax

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    @Occam's Banana

Video Tax

Whenever I encounter "science" as a lone word (or in a context in which it is given emphasis), I always "hear" it in that voice.

Car repossesion rates for low income people now exceed the 2019 plague shutdown. For more wealthy buyers the avg payment of a new car is up 26 percent since 2019. ( 718.00 per month ) .With one in six buyers exceeding 1k per month . Repossesions are expected to increase drastically going forward.Pretty sure Bush didnt cause that.LOL
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-20-2022 at 05:52 PM.
    Do something Danke

Whenever I encounter "science" as a lone word (or in a context in which it is given emphasis), I always "hear" it in that voice.
    Mind control music...you and me both.

Whenever Fauci the Fraud said "science" I heard it in that guy's voice as well.

"And the Good Dr. gets his come-uppance"
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

It's exactly the same thing they do when they apply the term "spending cut" to describe increased government spending on some line item, if the increase is less than a previously intended or budgeted amount.
    //

https://twitter.com/ScottTParkinson/...37505141657600

Hey, whattaya complainin' about, there, buddy?

If "this bill spends less than [requested]", then it's a spending cut!

Surely, you're not opposed to spending cuts, are you? Of course not ...

//
    I hate when people quote CBO estimates. They're a complete joke. They're consistently off by orders of magnitude. For example back in the late 1990s the CBO projected we were going to pay off the national debt in a few years. By 2008 the debt hit 10 trillion.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    in 2000 the debt was only 5.3 trillion .Almost 31 1/2 trillion today . so just use a formula of up 450 percent or more for the next 22 years and you see where you will be.
    Do something Danke

It's exactly the same thing they do when they apply the term "spending cut" to describe increased government spending on some line item, if the increase is less than a previously intended or budgeted amount.
    quod erat demonstrandum

Quote Originally Posted by helenpaul View Post
    Senate republican leadership is excrement

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1605535681396310016

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post

C'mon, man!

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1606273417640042497

156.4 billion out of markets last week . 41.9 billion from stock equities ,10 Billion from bonds , 17.2 billion from value funds , 27.8 billion from passive equities , cash holdings reduced by 59.5 billion . Some of this probably is some loss tax harvesting as it will be portrayed but not at all most. These are record numbers.Tax harvesting will only be needed for other income as the markets themselves are losers this yr . S&P down 20 percent , Nasdaq down 30 percent .Inflation still over 7 percent even once you remove last months 40 percent increase in fresh vegetables and other food increases. Retail sales down in Nov .So there is no real positive spin here. Mid Jan to June 01 ought to set the pace as we go forward. Merry Christmas , make the most of your inflationary meals !
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-24-2022 at 04:55 PM.
    Do something Danke

156.4 billion out of markets last week . 41.9 billion from stock equities ,10 Billion from bonds , 17.2 billion from value funds , 27.8 billion from passive equities , cash holdings reduced by 59.5 billion . Some of this probably is some loss tax harvesting as it will be portrayed but not at all most. These are record numbers.Tax harvesting will only be needed for other income as the markets themselves are losers this yr . S&P down 20 percent , Nasdaq down 30 percent .Inflation still over 7 percent even once you remove last months 40 percent increase in fresh vegetables and other food increases. Retail sales down in Nov .So there is no real positive spin here. Mid Jan to June 01 ought to set the pace as we go forward. Merry Christmas , make the most of your inflationary meals !
    Yeah, I saw that. I'm wondering if that's the inflation moving from assets like stocks to common goods like groceries.

Ya , thats exctly what it is doing . Moving from bonds , stocks to groceries , utilities , taxes , gift cards etc
    Do something Danke

Japanese Inflation Hits 40-Year High

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...-40-year-high/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Goldman Sachs planning on laying off 4K or 8 percent of workforce in mid Jan.
    Do something Danke

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    BOJ Conducts Emergency Bond Buying Operation

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...ing-operation/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

BOJ Conducts Emergency Bond Buying Operation

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...ing-operation/
    If you think are debt levels are bad here, look at japan and you'll feel better.

I think the only thing keeping japan from a complete hyperinflationary collapse is their culture. They'll work 80 hours a week and live in an apartment the size of a closet to survive.

That being said we probably have the second highest debt level compared to japan, especially if you use a more accurate measure like debt to revenue. I did the math a long time ago maybe 10 years ago and I think we were 3rd. Japan was 1st and I think italy or greece was 2nd and we were 3rd. By now I'm sure we're solidly in 2nd place.

https://twitter.com/mcyeetlock/statu...30004053917697

You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

BOJ Looks To Increase Its Inflation Forecast In January

https://www.thefinancialtrends.com/2...st-in-january/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast