Thread: Defend The Guard

Defend The Guard

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

Two years have passed since the release of the Afghanistan Papers, revealing that no one in charge - at any point over the last two decades - has ever held a clear idea as to why our soldiers must die in these aimless, costly wars. Yet Congress, following the lead of the Cheneys and the Clintons, fights to maintain the status quo.

Congress is useless, but the states have proven they are not; in recent years, states have nullified a wide range of unlawful federal policies, from FDA regulations against investigational drugs, to cannabis prohibition, to gun control. There is no reason states cannot also apply Thomas Jefferson's "rightful remedy" and nullify unconstitutional foreign policy by passing "Defend the Guard" (DTG) legislation. Proposed this year in 31 states, DTG invokes state authority to order home the tens of thousands of National Guardsmen currently deployed in any war that Congress has not formally declared.

Nullification was first proposed in 1798 by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison as a state remedy to overreaches of federal power. When President John Adams signed into law the Sedition Act (authorizing the Adams administration, in violation of the First Amendment, to imprison political dissidents), Jefferson and Madison answered with the Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions, declaring the implied power of the states to nullify unconstitutional federal laws. To this day, the power of states to check federal power holds value for all Americans who wish to live in a free society.

As a member of the Maine Senate, I experienced the power of nullification in action. In 2016, as Senate chairman for the Health and Human Services Committee, I gained bipartisan support in the Maine Legislature for "Right to Try" legislation, nullifying FDA policies restricting terminally ill patients from accessing potentially life-saving drugs. Only after 41 states had enacted Right to Try did Congress (perhaps seeking to maintain its own relevance) take action to pass the law nationwide.

The fight against cannabis prohibition - the most well-known nullification effort - began in the 1990s and continues today. After a half-century of failed efforts to repeal prohibition through Congress, cannabis advocates adopted a nullification strategy. Referendum majorities of California and Maine voted to disregard federal prohibition over medical cannabis. Federal politicians fumed, but twenty years later, 44 states have nullified prohibition for medical and/or adult use.

Nullification is also increasingly popular with Second Amendment advocates. In the last decade, states like Kansas and Missouri have passed the "Second Amendment Preservation Act," nullifying federal gun control over firearms made, sold, and used within state borders. This year alone, more than a dozen additional states have considered proposals to nullify federal gun control, including Florida and Ohio.

If nullification can work for cannabis, guns, and life-saving drugs, why not war?

Twenty years in, Hillary Clinton and Condoleezza Rice say the bloodshed must continue, but few outside Washington see any point throwing more lives and treasure into the longest wars in American history. According to a 2021 national online survey from YouGov, a majority of Americans - and two-thirds of veterans - support an immediate withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan. The American Legion, the largest veterans advocacy organization in the country, has called for ending the "forever wars." Congress, however, simultaneously beholden to war profiteers and afraid of their constituents, will neither end the wars nor vote to declare them.

This is why groups like Concerned Veterans for America are giving up on Congress and pursuing DTG legislation. The Pentagon is clearly threatened, and has assigned a two-star general to lobby against these proposals.

Constitutionally, these veterans are on solid ground. The president is only authorized to deploy the National Guard into combat abroad to "enforce the laws of the union," but without a congressional declaration of war, there is no law of the union to enforce.

We have let Congress shirk its responsibility to our soldiers for too long. It's time to nullify unconstitutional war.

Eric Brakey is the senior spokesperson at Young Americans for Liberty (YAL). He served in the Maine Senate from 2015 to 2018, presiding as senate chairman for the Health and Human Services Committee.
    Last edited by Pauls' Revere; 05-15-2021 at 06:05 PM.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Go back to pre-1916. Return control of the guard to the states. Prevent their deployment overseas.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Go back to pre-1916. Return control of the guard to the states. Prevent their deployment overseas.

XNN
    I think that's the point of the article, that states can (and should) use nullification to do exactly that.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    I think that's the point of the article, that states can (and should) use nullification to do exactly that.
    I read it as support for the efforts in state legislatures to pass Defend the Guard acts as defined by what I know from this site:
    https://www.defendtheguard.us/

The model legislation on that site only emphasizes the need for Congress to declare war prior to NGs being federalized and deployed overseas. I'm more supportive of repealing the Federal provisions of the 1916 National Defense Act and returning to the status quo in the opinion written by the Attorney General of the Department of War in 1912 - that is National Guard may not be deployed beyond the territory of the United States.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

The model legislation on that site only emphasizes the need for Congress to declare war prior to NGs being federalized and deployed overseas. I'm more supportive of repealing the Federal provisions of the 1916 National Defense Act and returning to the status quo in the opinion written by the Attorney General of the Department of War in 1912 - that is National Guard may not be deployed beyond the territory of the United States.
    That would be even better.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I read it as support for the efforts in state legislatures to pass Defend the Guard acts as defined by what I know from this site:
    https://www.defendtheguard.us/

XNN
    That would be cool.

Suggest to: https://www.defendtheguard.us/ ???

https://twitter.com/MLiamMcCollum/st...72732722028545
    “I love the legislation.”

That one time @RepThomasMassie endorsed the Defend the Guard Act after I asked him about it on @TRHLofficial’s Space.

Massie is absolutely right about the opposition in this clip. In Montana, they brought in a group of generals in uniform to testify against it.

Meanwhile, we had over 20 proponents, but those that served who weren’t generals could not testify in uniform, which is an apparent psychological ploy to persuade the legislators with the brass.

That’s not the extent of the bad-faith tactics either. The opposition also took legislators out on National Guard helicopter rides and said something like, “Don’t you like this? If you pass DTG, these will be taken from your state.”

Massie says at the end of his clip that he’d be willing to support the effort but isn’t sure what will be effective.

You might underestimate how far a written endorsement addressing the funding concerns would go. These legislators don’t have enough time to look at these bills, so guidance from reputable Congressmen would help.

Secondly, he could partner with the great guys at @TroopsHomeUS.

What we really need, though, is accountability. We have specific generals on record who have clearly stated that funding will be pulled if Defend the Guard is passed. Maybe this should be investigated to see who above them is making these threats. Keep in mind: some of these generals also enforced the military vaccine mandates.

As Rep. Lee Deming in Montana put it, what do you call someone who wants to sabotage the military’s training and readiness because a state demands the federal government follows the Constitution?

With all of that being said, we would very much appreciate any help we can get on this when we introduce it in Montana in 2025.

Rep. Lee Deming did an incredible job representing the movement here. He was the first in all the states to get it passed through a committee AND to have it debated on the floor of a chamber. It failed, but we brought it back in the Senate, and that persistence is why the opposition came in with all the brass.

The Montana legislature better pass it next time we introduce it because it’s gaining steam! The bill is now also endorsed by @KariLake, @RandPaul, @RepGosar, @RonPaul and more; it is now a top priority of @LPNational and @LPMisesCaucus; @TuckerCarlson did a show w/ @DanMcKnight30 about it; and @ReedCoverdale just mentioned it on @Timcast! #mtpol