Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Libertarian Think Tank Comes Out in Support of Vaccine Passports From ‘Private Sector’

Libertarian Think Tank Comes Out in Support of Vaccine Passports From ‘Private Sector’

The Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, has come out in support of Vaccine Passports, so long as they are from the private sector, rather than the Government.

In an article, which also appeared on the markedly left wing NBC News, Cato Institute Writer and Senior Fellow Julian Sanchez opined that moves to restrict vaccine passports are “ultimately shortsighted — and unlikely to serve either freedom or public health.” He went on to claim that such moves “unwisely conflate the idea of vaccination credentials in themselves with the most unpleasant way they might possibly be used.”

Sanchez then poses the question: “Is it desirable to have a secure and reliable mechanism to determine who has been vaccinated against the coronavirus for at least some purposes?” To this, he answers “Of course. There are numerous contexts in which showing evidence of vaccination is either already required or has clear benefits. So a secure, easily verifiable record is self‐​evidently preferable.” This is in spite of the numerous reported problems with the vaccine, from blood clots, to heart attacks, to dementia, as well as widespread personal and moral opposition to getting it.

In order to ensure that everyone is vaccinated, Sanchez supports measures that would utilize encryption technology where doctors would upload our data to an app. That data would then be readable by a machine, most likely in the form of a QR Code. In other words, our information would not be gathered by the government, but rather by an app sponsored by big tech. The Cato Institute does not mention how the intelligence community and Biden Regime buy our data from big tech.

“Many seem to fear that vaccination certificates would quickly give rise to an authoritarian scenario in which Americans are expected to ‘show [their] papers, please,’ to engage in routine activities like grocery shopping,” Sanchez writes. He then says that such draconian measures are “neither necessary nor likely, and such concerns aren’t a good argument against the certificates themselves… in the absence of a government mandate for every business to check vaccination IDs, there is little reason to think this is a realistic scenario.”

Due to standing laws which prohibit mandatory vaccination and potential violation of HIPAA guidelines, the Biden regime is actively working with the private sector to impose mandatory vaccination and vaccine passports on the American people. Sanchez and the Cato Institute ignore this, and are thus in lockstep with the Biden Regime on the issue of mandatory vaccinations.

Thus, when Sanchez writes that “Government shouldn’t force anyone to be vaccinated, but it should also be reluctant to override private businesses’ decisions about how to best protect and satisfy their customers and employees,” he ignores the fact that those choices are ultimately the same thing.

Many are arguing against COVID vaccine passports, public or private, as an infringement of our rights and freedoms. Fox News Primetime host Tucker Carlson argues that “On the questions of vaccines, Joe Biden is not pro-choice. He is pro-mandate… Just because there’s no official federal requirement to take the coronavirus vaccine, does not mean that you and your family won’t be required to take it. With the full backing of the Biden administration, private industry and nonprofits may be forcing you to.”

More at: https://nationalfile.com/libertarian...rivate-sector/

Globalibertarians are evil.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah it's dumb. I hate when private industry gives the government ideas. (Like, seatbelts.)

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...e2y-story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

The Cato Institute, a BLUE PILL libertarian think tank,”

FTFY
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Why do libertarians waste their time being so passive? We sit here with all these dumb apologetics and ivory tower crap instead of being assertive.

The whole Corona thing was nonsense from the start. Here’s a peer reviewed study showing the death rate was inflated 16.7 times because CDC changed their criteria for death. There is another Danish study showing the infection difference between mask-wearers and non-mask wearers was not statistically significant. Cato should be talking about these.

Libertarians needed to get their passive asses in gear if they ever hope to get anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Well, like democrats [left jack boot] joining the republican party, republicans [right jack boot] join the libertarian party. It is always best to think independently, as an individual, and go by the Records and Data - unlike the paid OP.

Most Black Republicans Aren’t True Conservatives

The true libertarian would never advocate no-bid contracts, multi-lateral agreements, tracking of individuals and requiring papers please, and rejection of My Body My Choice. Plain and simple. Unlike republicans and democrats.
    Last edited by PAF; 05-11-2021 at 06:41 AM.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

In order to ensure that everyone is vaccinated, Sanchez supports measures that would utilize encryption technology where doctors would upload our data to an app. That data would then be readable by a machine, most likely in the form of a QR Code. In other words, our information would not be gathered by the government...
    Is there really anyone that naive?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

There are numerous contexts in which showing evidence of vaccination is either already required or has clear benefits.
    Completely irrelevant. Just because one historical vaccine works out well, with a very low risk vs. reward ratio (low risk, high reward), does not mean that every newly developed experimental vaccine is the right choice, especially with a disease that has a very low death rate, especially for relatively healthy people under 60 (high risk, low reward).

Not to mention the vested interests at play (pharma-government complex). Follow the money.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I am not surprised, really. We, individuals, need to drop these labels and say: "Being Free is a party all by itself." Standing for individual freedom take individuals to stand up, all by themselves--this is where leaders are born. All these groups support greedom not freedom.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Cato Institute, a libertarian Koch Brothers think tank
    Fixed that for ya!

Globalibertarians are evil.
    Are Nazis capitalists? If so, then Cato are libertarians. Cato are globalists, posing as libertarians as part of yet another elaborate strawman by the globalists. If you have inifinity-cash (a central bank), as the globalists do, you can afford to buy up literally. everything. As they have done, at least, everything except what simply cannot be bought up -- those few souls who simply refuse to accept the deal-with-the-devil and sell out.

As far as I can tell, the only libertarians left standing are at the Mises Institute and it appears that even they, since roughly 2013-ish, have been surrounded from within by ranks and ranks of fake libertarians who I assume the globalists sent over to squat on the MI and wait until the current vanguard dies out so they can take the helm. These tactics go back many centuries, this is not a new playbook.
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Some points we should all be able to agree on:

1. The government should not issue vaccine passports, or fund them, or pass laws that require them for any purpose at all, including entry into the US from abroad.
    2. The government should not ban private vaccine passports.
    3. There probably is a market demand for private vaccine passports that some private entities would require on their property, which is their right. If these existed, they might also be accepted by foreign governments for entry into their countries, even if our state and federal governments didn't require them.

I can't say how much such a thing would actually take off. If government got out of the way and let the market work, we would find that out. Obviously a lot of people would refuse to get them. But there shouldn't be anything objectionable about allowing those who want them to get them.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul
    Congressional Record (March 13, 2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    1. The government should not issue vaccine passports, or fund them, or pass laws that require them for any purpose at all, including entry into the US from abroad.
    Either I am missing the point or you are...

If these vaccine passports aren't required "for any purpose at all", than nobody would want such a "passport", so there would be no need to ban anything!
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Either I am missing the point or you are...

If these vaccine passports aren't required "for any purpose at all", than nobody would want such a "passport", so there would be no need to ban anything!
    It's you who's missing the point.

They shouldn't be required for anything at all by the government, as I explicitly said in the very words you quoted. But private entities could reserve the right to require them for uses on their own properties. And again, the word "private" is right there explicitly in the words you quoted.

My point is that if private entities want to do that, it should be left up to them. And the market will either reward or punish them for it. But the government should stay out of it.
    There is nothing to fear from globalism, free trade and a single worldwide currency, but a globalism where free trade is competitively subsidized by each nation, a continuous trade war is dictated by the WTO, and the single currency is pure fiat, fear is justified. That type of globalism is destined to collapse into economic despair, inflationism and protectionism and managed by resurgent militant nationalism.
    Ron Paul

By this logic because property is private you can deny someone who is Black entrance. Public accommodations are not purely private and occupy a place somewhere in between public and private. They make money by advertising they are open to the public and so not really being open to the public is fraud.

Thus, when Sanchez writes that “Government shouldn’t force anyone to be vaccinated, but it should also be reluctant to override private businesses’ decisions about how to best protect and satisfy their customers and employees,”
    So my customers are racist and they don't want to see Blacks. Is that ok?
    Last edited by James_Madison_Lives; 05-11-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Madison_Lives View Post
    By this logic because property is private you can deny someone who is Black entrance.
    That's correct.

Do you not agree with this?
    Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That's correct.

Do you not agree with this?
    No because as I explained a public accommodation business is not purely private. It is to be distinguished from, say, a home. CATO has been Deep State for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Madison_Lives View Post
    No because as I explained a public accommodation business is not purely private. It is to be distinguished from, say, a home. CATO has been Deep State for awhile now.
    Shouldn't it be up to the owner of the property to decide if they want the property that they own to be a public accommodation that's open to all or one that's only open to the people they choose to welcome there, and not the government to impose those categories on other people's properties?

That said, I do agree that those who do not believe that private vaccine passports should be allowed should, for the sake of consistency, also accept your argument that the government has a right to prohibit businesses from discriminating in other ways. I wonder if all the other folks railing against the Cato article have thought that through. I can't accept your statism. But I appreciate your consistency.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 05-11-2021 at 02:12 PM.
    Ron Paul

3. There probably is a market demand for private vaccine passports that some private entities would require on their property, which is their right. If these existed, they might also be accepted by foreign governments for entry into their countries, even if our state and federal governments didn't require them.

I can't say how much such a thing would actually take off. If government got out of the way and let the market work, we would find that out. Obviously a lot of people would refuse to get them. But there shouldn't be anything objectionable about allowing those who want them to get them.
    Nobody has the right to demand you inject experimental gene juice into your body.
    We can't make the companies pay for the adverse reactions of customers who get the frankenshot so they have no right to demand it. (in addition to the basic moral problems with such a mandate)
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Nobody has the right to demand you inject experimental gene juice into your body.
    No they don't. And I never said they did, nor did that Cato article.

But they do have a right to refuse to do business with you if you don't inject that into your body, or for any other reason of their choice. And they have a right to do that without taking on any financial liability for any adverse effects of the injection. Those who don't consent to those terms could just refuse to do business with those who insist on them. The market would do all the work necessary of punishing that policy without any help from the government.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 05-12-2021 at 07:06 AM.
    Ron Paul

No they don't. And I never said they did, nor did that Cato article.

But they do have a right to refuse to do business with you if you don't inject that into your body, or for any other reason of their choice. And they have a right to do that without taking on any financial liability for any adverse effects of the injection. Those who don't consent to those terms could just refuse to do business with those who insist on them. The market would do all the work necessary of punishing that policy without any help from the government.
    LOL...

Saint Peter don't ya call me cuz I can't go...

I owe my soul to the Company Store.

Not surprised to see Stato pushing this...I'm pretty sure the author mentioned in the OP is also supportive of government mandated injections.

Big Business can and will tyrannize you just as fast as Big Government.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Possibly. But that doesn't make anything I said any less true. And it's no excuse for supporting having big government tyrannize us in the name of tyrannizing big business.
    Ron Paul

LOL...

Not surprised to see Stato pushing this...I'm pretty sure the author mentioned in the OP is also supportive of government mandated injections.

With Liberty Comes Responsibility.

A company can demand-request all they want. I ain't stickin' anything into my body, certainly not for an 8 hour job.

If the people understood and stood on principle, the true Free Market would sort it out. But, folks will line up without any consideration at all.

This is the conundrum that we are in, and governments and businesses will take complete advantage of it - and you.

LOL...

As usual, you have the right read on the situation.

Ideologues are painfully ignorant of history and too busy myopically defending the principle of liberty against government alone. Then again, it is impossible to see the big picture when you think government is a uniquely evil existence rather than just one form of a concentration of hierarchical power among the species. Anything that has amassed a significant degree of power is capable of tyranny, and it can occur absent any government.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It's you who's missing the point.

They shouldn't be required for anything at all by the government, as I explicitly said in the very words you quoted. But private entities could reserve the right to require them for uses on their own properties. And again, the word "private" is right there explicitly in the words you quoted.

My point is that if private entities want to do that, it should be left up to them. And the market will either reward or punish them for it. But the government should stay out of it.
    The world should be x,y and z...

It isn't. Unicorns and castles in the sky.

LOL...

The single biggest danger to liberty today is the public/private partnership. It is mentioned everyday by so many, including the Biden Administration. It's a huge joke. If every aspect of government is outsourced to "private" companies, then there is no line at all between them, and the Constitution no longer applies at all.

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 10-07-2023 at 10:16 PM. Reason: replaced tweet with image
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The world should be x,y and z...

It isn't. Unicorns and castles in the sky.

The single biggest danger to liberty today is the public/private partnership. It is mentioned everyday by so many, including the Biden Administration. It's a huge joke. If every aspect of government is outsourced to "private" companies, then there is no line at all between them, and the Constitution no longer applies at all.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brian4Liberty again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Good point. And would a government ban of private vaccine passports make that single biggest danger worse? Or better?
    Ron Paul

When I think of things like leftarians , leftists , vaccine passports and other nasty things I'm just comforted by my .30 Cal stash and flame thrower .
    Do something Danke

LOL...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again

not many truly “private” companies around, certainly not any corporations.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast