Thread: Kentucky Derby Winner Might be Disqualified

Kentucky Derby Winner Might be Disqualified

Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve (G1) winner Medina Spirit has tested positive for the corticosteroid betamethasone and faces possible disqualification from the May 1 race at Churchill Downs, it was announced May 9.

Meanwhile, trainer Bob Baffert has been suspended by Churchill from entering any horses at the Louisville track, pending the conclusion of an investigation by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.

Baffert traveled from California to watch Medina Spirit and Concert Tour train for the May 15 Preakness Stakes (G1), and broke the news in a press conference held at Churchill Sunday morning accompanied by his attorney, W. Craig Robertson III.

Baffert said Medina Spirit tested positive for 21 picograms of betamethasone per milliliter of blood or plasma—information that was relayed to him Friday by his assistant, Jimmy Barnes, who was served by the KHRC.

Baffert said Medina Spirit was not administered the medication in question.

"All I can tell you is that betamethasone—even though it is an allowed drug, a therapeutic medication, we did not give it. … In fact, Medina Spirit has never been treated with betamethasone," Baffert said Sunday. "We're going to do our own investigation, we're going to be transparent with the racing commission like we've always been. We're going to show them everything. … In California, everything is documented every day, what the horses get. This horse was never treated with that.

"I know I'm the most scrutinized trainer and I have millions of eyes on me, but you know what? I don't have a problem with that," Baffert added. "The last thing I want to do is do something that would jeopardize the greatest two minutes in sports."

Betamethasone is a Class C drug that is allowed in Kentucky as a therapeutic. However, state rules require at least a 14-day withdrawal time and any level of detection on race day is a violation. The threshold was changed to zero from 10 picograms per milliliter of blood or plasma in August.

More
    https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-betamethasone
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thought the article was going to say that the horse tested positive for coronavirus.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge