Thread: How American Politics Got Troops Stuck—and Killed—in Afghanistan

Exclamation How American Politics Got Troops Stuck—and Killed—in Afghanistan

How American Politics Got Troops Stuck—and Killed—in Afghanistan

As a combat officer, I watched people die in a dysfunctional war. Then I returned to a country unable to end it.

Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images
    By ERIK EDSTROM
    05/04/2021

Erik Edstrom graduated from West Point and deployed to combat in Afghanistan as an infantry officer. He is the author of Un-American: A Soldier’s Reckoning of our Longest War and a senior fellow at the Eisenhower Media Network, an organization of independent military and national security veteran experts. He holds an MBA and MSc from the University of Oxford where he studied finance and climate change.

Maybe it was the ketamine talking. Or maybe A.J. Nelson, an 18-year-old private, possessed a type of bravery that I did not. Whatever it was, lying on his back, bones broken, blood rivering from his lacerated lips, he said something that I can’t forget.
    “I want to come back.” Flecks of blood sprayed in the air with each word, speckling his uniform. “I want to come back to the platoon, sir.”

Two years earlier, in the spring of 2007, I had commissioned from West Point as an infantry officer. Now I was leading roughly 30 men in Maywand and Zhari—poverty-stricken, hard-scrabble districts within Kandahar Province. These districts had developed a sort of infamy, called the “Heart of Darkness.” This was our first week in Afghanistan, and a roadside bomb had just obliterated one of my platoon’s hulking armored vehicles.

The desertaround uswas a yard sale of twisted metal and vehicle parts. The wreck of their vehicle—it’s engine block sheered completely off—looked like poachers had gotten it. As the Blackhawk helicopter hovered to land, we attempted to shield the four wounded men from the sandblasting rotor wash. At that moment, I knelt, looked at A.J., and proceeded to lie directly to his face.
    “You’re going to be OK.”
    I had no idea what “OK” might even mean in that situation. Did “OK” mean quadruple amputee with a pulse? Did “OK” mean years of horrific facial reconstruction surgeries? Or the loss of only one eye? Paralyzed from just the waist down? Or maybe “OK” meant being really lucky—a traumatic brain injury or a single leg amputation, below the knee, which is what my wounded friends from Walter Reed Hospital would later call a “paper cut.” I would have a lot of time to figure this out. Before our tour was over, 11 months later, 25 percent of my men would become casualties.
    It took less than a month, however, to realize that America’s war in Afghanistan was a complete disaster.
    On the ground, I participated in a mission nicknamed “Operation Highway Babysitter,” in which the infantry secured the road, allowing logistics convoys to resupply the infantry—all so that the infantry could secure the road, so that the logistics convoys could resupply the infantry.
    Worse, whenever a road was blown up—since protecting all the roads, all the time, was impossible—American forces would pay exorbitant cost-plus contracts to Afghan construction companies to rebuild it. It was common knowledge that many of these companies were owned by Afghan warlords guilty of human rights abuses. In turn, the construction companies paid a protection tribute to the Taliban. Then the Taliban would buy more bomb-making materials to destroy the road—and U.S. vehicles. We were, indirectly but also quite literally, paying the Taliban to kill us.

But it was the Afghan people, not U.S. soldiers, who have been the greatest—and most numerous—victims of America’s longest war. Nearly 4 million Afghans have been displaced from their homes. Likewise, amid the fighting, the number of Afghan civilians who were injured or killed by our troops was multiples higher. “We have shot an amazing number of people, but to my knowledge, none has ever proven to be a threat,” said General Stanley McChrystal, then-senior American and NATO commander in Afghanistan.
    When I returned to America, the war came home with me, along with the regret of having harmed the people of Afghanistan. In the spring of 2011, while serving in the Honor Guard, I buried Tyler Parten, one of my close friends from West Point, in Arlington National Cemetery. As the officer-in-charge, I had the somber job of handing the folded American flag to Tyler’s crying mother.
    Several months later, I found myself at the same grave, standing next to the man who had sent me and Tyler to war. President Barack Obama and the first lady had come to Arlington on the eve of the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks to pay their respects to the dead. Seeing me and my friends, they approached us.

The Obamas pose for a picture with the author at the grave of his friend Tyler Parten at Arlington National Cemetery in 2011. | Courtesy of Erik Edstrom

The president tactfully asked to hear about Tyler’s life, and I told him. We took a photo, capturing the moment for Tyler’s family. It felt like a touching gesture from a genuinely decent man. And yet I could not shake a rotten feeling that this was also the man who had pushed the number of troops in Afghanistan beyond 100,000. And though he had just announced his intention to bring that number back down, the violence would not really diminish, just be replaced by drones and special forces. The tableau was thick with irony: The politicians who sponsor pointless wars are the same ones who must be seen “power grieving” for fallen troops on days of remembrance.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...-person-485227

Related

Stats Show Trump’s Afghanistan Surge Has Failed

Obama-Hillary foreign policy left a legacy of bloodshed, mass deaths

The 12-Year War: 73% of U.S. Casualties in Afghanistan Occured on Obama's Watch

Army officer suing Obama over unauthorized war

Iraq/Afghanistan wars disabled 624,000 US troops , Divorces up 42%, Foreclosures up 217%

VA Stops Releasing Data On Injured Vets As Total Reaches Grim Milestone
    November 01 2013
    The United States has likely reached a grim but historic milestone in the war on terror: 1 million veterans injured from the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. But you haven't heard this reported anywhere else. Why? Because the government is no longer sharing this information with the public.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/va-stops-rele...lusive-1449584

Hillary Clinton: I vote for Iraq war with conviction

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The evil warmongers want your Kids to die for nothing.

And troops will continue to be stuck and killed in Afghanistan.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    The evil warmongers want your Kids to die for nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    And troops will continue to be stuck and killed in Afghanistan.
    There are various theories, conspiracy theories behind powerful lobbies having supported apparently 'purposeless wars' for so long ranging from a flawed security paradigm, politics to wars profiteering etc.
    There have also been misguided neoconservatives like this framing ongoing wars violence as a 'moral' calling.

The Immorality of Leaving Iraq and Afghanistan
    By Dennis Prager

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    It took less than a month, however, to realize that America’s war in Afghanistan was a complete disaster.
    I thought that it was a complete success...
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    The U.S. military has openly said that it protects Afghani poppy fields. It’s claimed that this will appease farmers, while it’s supposedly the Taliban that forces these farmers to grow poppy.
    There is even an example, where a US soldier seems to be helping with cultivation.
    In November 2009, the Afghan Minister of Counter Narcotics Khodaidad Khodaidad said that the majority of drugs are stockpiled in 2 provinces controlled by US, UK, and Canadian troops. He also claimed that NATO forces are taxing the opium and that foreign troops are earning money from drug production in Afghanistan: https://publicintelligence.net/usnat...n-afghanistan/
    See the heavily armed US mercenaries patrolling the poppy fields

In a 2010 report by Geraldo Rivera on Fox News, a USMC Lt. Col. Admitted that US forces encourage the Afghans to grow different crops, and tolerate poppy cultivation. The US army claims they are teaching the Afghans who are the “good” guys.
    The marines also got a nice visit by British Crown Prince Charles… - EDIT video was deleted by Youtube.

In 1983, the British SAS trained the Mujahedin fighters of the drugs trafficking Osama Bin Laden in the hills surrounding the Criffel, Dumfries and Galloway in Scotland: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/1546995.stm

In 2007, Dutch minister Agnes van Ardenne admitted that Dutch soldiers in Afghanistan won’t take part in the destruction of opium poppy crops because it’s “counterproductive”. Van Ardenne said the Netherlands and other European NATO members oppose the plan to destroy the poppies, and would explain this to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
    Drugs-profits-for-Oil-wars
    Last edited by Firestarter; 05-09-2021 at 01:27 AM.
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    I thought that it was a complete success...

Drugs-profits-for-Oil-wars

That's one way to look at it.

In related news:

Wall Street Journal

Afghan Pullout Leaves U.S. Looking for Other Places to Station Its Troops

U.S. military planners are seeking options to base forces and equipment in Central Asia and the Middle East after American and allied troops ...
    2 days ago

Guess bringing them home was not the first answer that came to the minds of all the thought leaders facing this quandrum.