Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immigrants nearly twice as likely to start businesses

Immigrants nearly twice as likely to start businesses

Immigrants in the United Staets are more likely to create jobs than to take them, according to a new study examining the role of immigrants in entrepreneurship.

Researchers found that immigrants not only expand labor supply as workers but also expand labor demand as founders of firms, and do so at much higher rates than their native-born counterparts. Existing research has shown that immigrants start businesses at higher rates than native-born individuals do but this paper expands on that researches are not simply starting small businesses, but that they are more likely to start more firms of every size.
    https://academictimes.com/immigrants...an-job-takers/
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They're taking our businesses!

Those are businesses that Americans could be starting!

Could it be they are forced to create a business because it's difficult to get hired for anything other than $4 an hour janitorial jobs?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Couldn't be. Nope. That's white raciss talk. Reported. Let's see, add into that SNAPS, free education, supplemented housing....

And that fact that Americunts have become self absorbed, under educated, $#@!wipes because of Fed Gov.

Coming to America is an entrepreneurial decision. They also tend to be poorer with fewer opportunities. It makes sense immigrants in general would be more likely to start businesses.

People who were born here tend to have more opportunities for employment and tend to be less ambitious so fewer start their own business.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Coming to America is an entrepreneurial decision. They also tend to be poorer with fewer opportunities. It makes sense immigrants in general would be more likely to start businesses.

People who were born here tend to have more opportunities for employment and tend to be less ambitious so fewer start their own business.
    I'll call BULL$#@!!

Having been "born here" and being the evil "white male" who started his own business several times in my life, there are no free rides for folks like me. If I were 5 feet tall with dark hair and eyes and a moustache or a nappy head I'd qualify for all kinds of gubmint stuff but here's the thing, I don't want anything from the gubmint. I don't ask anybody for any more than honest referrals'. I regularly offer to work one week for free, if they don't like my work then don't pay me, if they do then pay every week and I'll keep workin', for me that builds better community than gubmint money ever could.

I'll call BULL$#@!!

Having been "born here" and being the evil "white male" who started his own business several times in my life, there are no free rides for folks like me. If I were 5 feet tall with dark hair and eyes and a moustache or a nappy head I'd qualify for all kinds of gubmint stuff but here's the thing, I don't want anything from the gubmint. I don't ask anybody for any more than honest referrals'. I regularly offer to work one week for free, if they don't like my work then don't pay me, if they do then pay every week and I'll keep workin', for me that builds better community than gubmint money ever could.
    So you think the average white male in America is more ambitious and has the same or fewer employment opportunities than immigrants from the Ukraine or Vietnam or South Korea?

Okay.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So you think the average white male in America is more ambitious and has the same or fewer employment opportunities than immigrants from the Ukraine or Vietnam or South Korea?

Okay.
    I clearly typed what I intended to, there's no need for you to add to or amend my post.

There are countless opportunities available for foreign born and minorities that are not available to white males who were born here. Address that if you'd like.

Groups of people are not homogenously 'ambitious' so that assertion is asinine.

What a load of horse$#@!.

I have now been put out work three times by regulatory and government fatwas related to the maritime industry.

My first business, a commercial fishing vessel, I had to sell off due to government regulations.

While at the same time, Vietnamese refugees coming to the US and settling along the Gulf Coast, displaced and replaced native fishermen with low interest government backed loans to build new vessels for themselves.

The OP is just another in a long line of Marxist academics cobbling together another missive of anti-American people claptrap.

The study "Immigration and Entrepreneurship in the United States," forthcoming in American Economic Review, was authored by Pierre Azoulay, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and National Bureau of Economic Research; Benjamin F. Jones, Northwestern University and National Bureau of Economic Research; Daniel Kim, University of Pennsylvania; and Javier Miranda, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
    Oh yeah...gonna get an honest assessment of the condition of working class native born Americans from these $#@!ing guys.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Labor force participation is dismal in the US . It is one of the many reasons we never have growth more than slightly above inflation. We dont need immigrants. I dont need immigrants so you have to ask , who plans on benefitting from immigrants ? That answer may be two fold . First and foremost is dem politicians according to all polling and we all know they are really looking out for you guys .
    Do something Danke

The SBA has loans they give to minorities only. No whites allowed.

Apparently there's all kinds of tax advantages too, for the business and the people they do business with.

So ya, they literally are taking our jobs, and they're doing it with our own tax money
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Labor force participation is dismal in the US . It is one of the many reasons we never have growth more than slightly above inflation. We dont need immigrants. I dont need immigrants so you have to ask , who plans on benefitting from immigrants ? That answer may be two fold . First and foremost is dem politicians according to all polling and we all know they are really looking out for you guys .
    They pretty much drive humanity forward in the United States.

Immigrants Account for Two-Thirds of US Economic Growth Since 2011, Analysis Finds https://www.newsweek.com/migrants-immigration-1113006

"Nearly Half of All Fortune 500 Companies Were Founded By Immigrants or Their Children, Study Finds" https://www.newsweek.com/immigrant-f...us-gdp-1450498

Some immigrants:

Sergey Brin cofounded Google
    Pierre Omidyar founded eBay
    Elon Musk PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla, Solar City
    Jerry Yang founded Yahoo
    Rupert Murdoch Fox
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 04-29-2021 at 08:07 PM.

They pretty much drive humanity forward in the United States.

Immigrants Account for Two-Thirds of US Economic Growth Since 2011, Analysis Finds https://www.newsweek.com/migrants-immigration-1113006

"Nearly Half of All Fortune 500 Companies Were Founded By Immigrants or Their Children, Study Finds" https://www.newsweek.com/immigrant-f...us-gdp-1450498

Some immigrants:

Sergey Brin cofounded Google
    Pierre Omidyar founded eBay
    Elon Musk PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla, Solar City
    Jerry Yang founded Yahoo
    Rupert Murdoch Fox
    I'm not really too convinced that humanity is moving forward here but if that is needed the people here already should be doing it .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I have now been put out work three times by regulatory and government fatwas related to the maritime industry.
    After those kind of experiences, I would think you'd oppose government intervention in the economy.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The OP is just another in a long line of Marxist academics cobbling together another missive of anti-American people claptrap.

This thread is sort of ironic. Most everyone is contributing to The $#@!'s paycheck.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They start businesses, and then hire their family, friends, schoolmates, neighbors and people from whatever place they came from.

Tell us more about your crony globalism...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    They're taking our businesses!

Those are businesses that Americans could be starting!
    We have no need for multiple trolls spewing the same leftist talking points.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    After those kind of experiences, I would think you'd oppose government intervention in the economy.
    As a general rule I am...in favor of lower taxes, less regulation and tort reform of business.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Pretty sure we're talking about "LEGAL" immigrants starting businesses. That always seems to be an important, but often missing, distinction.

Kinda hard to start a business that would show up in these numbers without the proper documentation.

It's pretty clear that legal immigration is a net benefit to our economy. And for those that worry about shifting political dynamics, these are the types of immigrants we want - those that are escaping authoritarian regimes looking to build a life on their own merits. Lumping all "immigrants" together as if they were a singular bloc is not helpful.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    We have no need for multiple trolls spewing the same leftist talking points.
    I think you need a realignment, when it comes to your concept of left versus right.

But that also highlights how useless those terms are.

At any rate, which person is the troll "we" don't need here? The one who speaks in consistent support of this mission statement, and the policies of the person this website is named after? Or the one who comes here to mock those things?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Pretty sure we're talking about "LEGAL" immigrants starting businesses. That always seems to be an important, but often missing, distinction.
    I'm sure you're right about them being legal.

But I don't see why the distinction between legal and illegal as defined by manmade immigration laws is important.

In fact, if anything, for someone who accepts the premise that having legal immigrants come here and start more businesses and create more jobs is an economically good thing, that is a point in favor of reducing existing immigration restrictions so that more immigrants can come here as legal immigrants. That person should see the large numbers of illegal immigrants and, instead of wanting them not to be here at all, want them to be here as legal immigrants so they can start more businesses.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 04-30-2021 at 06:49 AM.

I dunno, in the last year I've met or already known a lot of people getting their own businesses up off the ground. Maybe this phenomena has nothing to do with race or geographical origin at all??? Maybe our controllers would like for that to be the line of contention though..
    "The issue is that you to define the best candidate solely based upon what they stand for." - CaptLouAlbano

This is the mindset trying to take hold on RPF.

"Kelly Thomas did this to himself." - FrankRep

I'm sure you're right about them being legal.

But I don't see why the distinction between legal and illegal as defined by manmade immigration laws is important.
    Because I don't see all immigrants as the same. Those who are willing to go about immigrating legally generally have the mindset that is beneficial to us all.

In fact, if anything, for someone who accepts the premise that having legal immigrants come here and start more businesses and create more jobs is an economically good thing, that is a point in favor of reducing existing immigration restrictions so that more immigrants can come here as legal immigrants. That person should see the large numbers of illegal immigrants and, instead of wanting them not to be here at all, want them to be here as legal immigrants so they can start more businesses.
    Yes. We should make immigrating legally much easier. You'll get no argument from me. And the incentives for immigrating legally should outweigh the incentives to immigrate illegally. It's the incentives that ensure that the people who come here will be an asset to our economy, rather than a drag on it. As it stands, the largest proportion of those who are responding to the "illegal immigration" incentives are generally not the ones who are providing benefits to our country.

I think you make a mistake if you think that the mindset of all immigrants are the same or provide the same value. I also don't think there's anything wrong in recognizing these differences and trying to craft the incentives to lure the right mindset.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Because I don't see all immigrants as the same. Those who are willing to go about immigrating legally generally have the mindset that is beneficial to us all.
    Almost all of them are willing to go about it legally. The ones who resort to doing it illegally generally do so because quotas and other restrictions prevent them from being able to do it legally. If they could do it legally they would, and then they would be among that number of legal immigrants who bring the kinds of benefits to this country that the OP mentions. But I find that often, when people pretend that it's not immigration in general that they oppose but only illegal immigration, and this point is brought up, it turns out that they don't like the idea of letting those who come here illegally come legally instead, and it really is immigration in general that they oppose after all.

It's true that not all immigrants are the same. But that distinction between them that's created by arbitrary lines drawn by laws made up by corrupt politicians isn't a good index for those differences.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 04-30-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Almost all of them are willing to go about it legally. The ones who resort to doing it illegally generally do so because quotas and other restrictions prevent them from being able to do it legally. If they could do it legally they would, and then they would be among that number of legal immigrants who bring the kinds of benefits to this country that the OP mentions. But I find that often, when people pretend that it's not immigration in general that they oppose but only illegal immigration, and this point is brought up, it turns out that they don't like the idea of letting those who come here illegally come legally instead, and it really is immigration in general that they oppose after all.

It's true that not all immigrants are the same. But that distinction between them that's created by arbitrary lines drawn by laws made up by corrupt politicians isn't a good index for those differences.
    Well, that's not me. You know there is a middle view between a borderless world and prevention of all immigration.

People respond to incentives. And in general, the immigrants who respond to the legal incentives are beneficial, while those that respond to the illegal incentives are harmful. Obviously, there are exceptions to those generalities, but to disregard that reality is just burying your head in the sand for the sake of ideological purity.

The bureaucratic immigration process creates unnecessary incentives for the illegal route and that needs to be changed. But let's not believe that simply by streamlining the process, we're going to incent the right people. It's more nuanced than that.

I beleive it. Good for them.

I'll call BULL$#@!!

That sounds like a lot of work. No thx
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

They start businesses, and then hire their family, friends, schoolmates, neighbors and people from whatever place they came from.
    Yes, because government won't allow those people to immigrate without it.

Tell us more about your crony globalism...
    I don't hear you complaining about crony nationalism when this forum's white nationalists directly advocate the thing that you say immigrants do.
    Pinochet is the model

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast