Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biden to ban Kools by Executive fiat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Biden to ban Kools by Executive fiat

Report: Joe Biden Plans to Ban Menthol Cigarettes

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ol-cigarettes/

Charlie Spiering 28 Apr 2021

President Joe Biden plans to ban menthol cigarettes despite concerns from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) that it would fuel racial injustice.

The ban on menthol cigarettes will be announced this week, according to CBS News and The Washington Post, citing people “familiar with the plan.”

The ACLU warned Biden the ban would have “serious racial justice implications” for people of color and more “negative interactions with local law enforcement.”

“Banning menthol cigarettes risks massive setbacks to our criminal justice system at precisely the moment we should be advancing reform,” the letter obtained by CBS News read.

But some public health organizations support banning menthol cigarettes because they are targeted at black smokers.

“For generations, tobacco companies have promoted menthol cigarettes to the African American community, preying especially on African American youth. The results are clear and grim,” said American Medical President Susan R. Bailey, MD said in a statement supporting the ban.

Over 20 million Americans smoke menthol cigarettes, according to the Food and Drug Administration, but a ban would not go into effect immediately.

The Wall Street Journal reported last week that the Biden administration was also considering a requirement for all tobacco companies to lower the amount of nicotine in all cigarettes.

The White House has declined to comment on the record about their plans for new cigarette regulations.

“We will review a range of policy options in line with the President’s public health goals,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-28-2021 at 08:59 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    WTF
    Do something Danke

Wonder how many Republicans smoke Kools?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Two
    Do something Danke

Coincidentally, I quit smoking Kools and other menthols round about the same time I stopped being a republican. Both were bad for my health.

Maybe I’ll quit smoking altogether, though doubtful.
    Last edited by PAF; 04-28-2021 at 09:25 PM.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Already banned for flavored tobacco products where I live
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Anyway , nothing has changed here , I still have sample menthols you can have if you smoke them in Dankes truck while he is at work .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Anyway , nothing has changed here , I still have sample menthols you can have if you smoke them in Dankes truck while he is at work .
    if they keep the windows down, I’m ok with that, just no Injuns allowed in my truck.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can see protecting Injuns from their dangerous ways, but teenagers? They have more common sense.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

First they came for the menthols, then .....

So, I guess you guys didn't hear they are also looking at putting nicotine level restrictions on cigarettes?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Nothing more important for the ACLU or the Government to worry about than Kool Cigarettes. Guess everything is fukking great. Reminds of the how NY regulated how much soda you could drink.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    Nothing more important for the ACLU or the Government to worry about than Kool Cigarettes. Guess everything is fukking great. Reminds of the how NY regulated how much soda you could drink.
    Soda is very bad for your health. High fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors and colors, preservatives, etc.

Therefore Biden will be banning Grape Soda.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I'm not a smoker but people have a right to smoke menthol cigarettes if they want to.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    I'm not a smoker but people have a right to smoke menthol cigarettes if they want to.
    I used to smoke menthols. It feels like you're smoking a beautiful, tar-encrusted winter morning in New England. To deprive anyone of that pleasure would be criminal. I guess that's why the government thought they were just the one for the job.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.” - Thomas Jefferson

Forum Friends get $20 off your $200 order - save money on bulk ammo as we donate to your favorite pro-freedom group.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ammodotcom View Post
    I used to smoke menthols. It feels like you're smoking a beautiful, tar-encrusted winter morning in New England. To deprive anyone of that pleasure would be criminal. I guess that's why the government thought they were just the one for the job.
    LOL

From a week ago, in the Medical Lysenkoism thread:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/s...89498378125312

White Knights on one side ...

The ACLU warned Biden the ban would have “serious racial justice implications” for people of color and more “negative interactions with local law enforcement.”

“Banning menthol cigarettes risks massive setbacks to our criminal justice system at precisely the moment we should be advancing reform,” the letter obtained by CBS News read.
    ... and White Saviors on the other ...

But some public health organizations support banning menthol cigarettes because they are targeted at black smokers.

“For generations, tobacco companies have promoted menthol cigarettes to the African American community, preying especially on African American youth. The results are clear and grim,” said American Medical President Susan R. Bailey, MD said in a statement supporting the ban.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 10-19-2023 at 02:29 AM. Reason: replaced tweet with image
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    From a week ago, in the Medical Lysenkoism thread:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/s...89498378125312

White Knights on one side ...

... and White Saviors on the other ...

Menthol Cigarettes and Flavored Cigars to Be Banned by FDA
    Banning menthol cigarettes would result in a 15 percent reduction in smoking and save up to 654,000 lives over four decades, the agency claims.
    https://www.theepochtimes.com/us/men...by-fda-5511750
    [archive link: https://archive.ph/OVD3i]
    {Naveen Athrappully | 17 October 2023}

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is looking to ban menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars due to concerns these tobacco products are harming American youth.

The FDA submitted the final rule for regulatory review to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) on Friday. “This final rule is a tobacco product standard to prohibit the use of menthol as a characterizing flavor in cigarettes,” according to an OMB website. Legal resource center Law Insider defines the term “characterizing flavor” as meaning “a taste or aroma, other than the taste or aroma of tobacco” that is imparted either prior to or during the use of the tobacco product. Flavored cigars would also be banned under the rule.

The FDA has long been pushing to ban menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars. Last year, the agency announced it was proposing rules to this effect to “prevent youth initiation [and] significantly reduce tobacco-related disease and death,” according to an April 28 press release.

Menthol is a flavor additive with a minty taste and aroma that aids in reducing the harshness and irritation of smoking, the agency said. This boosts the appeal for cigarettes and makes the menthol variants popular among youth and young adults. Menthol can also interact with nicotine in the brain, enhancing the nicotine’s addictive effects.

“The combination of menthol’s flavor, sensory effects, and interaction with nicotine in the brain increases the likelihood that youth who start using menthol cigarettes will progress to regular use. Menthol also makes it more difficult for people to quit smoking,” the FDA said.

The agency estimated there were 18.5 million menthol cigarette smokers aged 12 and above in the United States in 2018, with “particularly high rates of use by youth, young adults, and African Americans and other racial and ethnic groups.”

If menthol cigarettes were not available, there would be a 15 percent reduction in smoking within four decades, the agency said citing multiple studies. This would translate into 324,000–654,000 saved lives.

The FDA expressed hope that once the rule comes into effect, it would reduce the appeal of cigarettes among youth and young adults, thus reducing the chances that nonusers who experiment with menthol cigarettes end up progressing to regular smoking.

The OMB review is the last step to be completed to finalize the rule.

Harm to Youngsters

In an Oct. 16 statement, Harold Wimmer, president of the American Lung Association (ALA), called the FDA rules banning menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars “the most significant actions that the FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products has taken in its 14-year history.”

“The American Lung Association is eager for these lifesaving rules to be implemented and urges the White House to finalize these rules before the end of the year. The science and data are clear. Ending the sale of menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars will save lives,” it said.

“One study estimates almost one million smokers would quit smoking within 17 months of the end of the sale of menthol cigarettes, including almost a quarter of a million black individuals living in America. After Canada stopped selling menthol cigarettes in 2017, the country saw an increase in quit attempts and cessation among people who smoked menthol cigarettes.”

The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids also welcomed the FDA proposal, asking the OMB and the White House to consider expediting the review and issuing final regulations by the end of the year given the “profound, lifesaving benefit” of the rules, according to an Oct. 16 press release.

Tobacco is the number-one cause of preventable death in the United States, it said. Cheap, flavored cigars are sold in “kid-friendly flavors” like “berry fusion,” “cherry dynamite,” and “iced donut,” the organization stated.

“These flavored products have flooded the market in recent years and fueled the popularity of cigars with kids.” The group cited the 2022 National Youth Tobacco Survey which showed that cigars are the “second most popular tobacco product” after e-cigarettes among American high school students.

Crackdown on E-Cigarettes

Some have argued against the ban. In March last year, the Tax Foundation warned in a report that the federal menthol ban would result in losses for local governments due to the high level of taxation and the large market share of flavored cigarettes.

In the United States, excise taxes alone make up 40 percent of the retail price of tobacco products on average, it said. A third of the market is made up of flavored cigarettes.

“Federal action does not only impact federal revenue, and combined, governments stand to lose more than $6.6 billion in the first full year following prohibition,” the group stated.

Meanwhile, the FDA is also cracking down on flavored e-cigarettes. Last week, the agency issued denial orders for the marketing of six flavored e-cigarette products being sold under the Vuse Alto brand, including three menthol-flavored ones.

“Evidence submitted by the applicant did not demonstrate that the menthol- and mixed berry-flavored products provided an added benefit for adults who smoke cigarettes—in terms of complete switching or significant smoking reduction—relative to that of tobacco-flavored products that is sufficient to outweigh the known risks to youth,” the agency said.

In July, it issued a marketing denial order for a menthol-flavored e-cigarette made by Fontem US. In May, the FDA issued similar orders to 10 companies that collectively marketed around 6,500 flavored e-cigarette and e-liquid products.

Tobacco is the number-one cause of preventable death in the United States, it said
    That's a load of horse$#@! right there.

Almost nobody smokes anymore and the few that do are so limited as to where and when they can smoke, that the impact is minimal.

Obesity on the other hand, is.

Government forced everybody to stop smoking and then everybody got fat.

Is Biden's Menthol Ban "Soft Bigotry by Low Expectations"? - Viva Frei Vlawg
    https://rumble.com/vg8m0l-bidens-men...rei-vlawg.html

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    For crying out loud!

Why couldn't the person who made that just lower that box down a smidge more, enough to fully conceal the tip!?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Although the over reach of power sucks, there is a bright side. On the few times I bum a cigarette, I occasionally have a social cigarette, I won't have to hide my distaste when someone offers me a nasty menthol.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Although the over reach of power sucks, there is a bright side. On the few times I bum a cigarette, I occasionally have a social cigarette, I won't have to hide my distaste when someone offers me a nasty menthol.
    Try non-commercialized tobacco, any decent tobacconist can make suggestions.

For added entertainment value store your tobacco in a flap-top baggie with a pack of Zig-Zag whites in your breast pocket... (I did this for several years)

Try non-commercialized tobacco, any decent tobacconist can make suggestions.

For added entertainment value store your tobacco in a flap-top baggie with a pack of Zig-Zag whites in your breast pocket... (I did this for several years)

Injun Reservations, by the bag ;-)

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    Injun Reservations, by the bag ;-)
    This is good;
    http://www.mytobacconist.com/tobacco...arette_tobacco

This is not even remotely funny.

Millions of menthol smokers will be extremely angry.

Anything can happen.

If this isn't a signal that they don't need votes to win anymore, I don't know what is.

Voting means nothing anymore. Secession is necessary.

Per registered decision, member has been banned for violating community standards as interpreted by TheTexan (respect his authoritah) as authorized by Brian4Liberty Ruling

May God have mercy on his atheist, police-hating, non-voting, anarchist soul.
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-04-2021 at 04:57 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast