Thread: How are you guarding against inflation?

Question How are you guarding against inflation?

Inflation is here, seriously.

What are you doing to protect yourself from it?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Individual investors probably have lost multiples more worrying about inflation than the actual inflation itself. Realistically the best course of action is just to have a 60-40 stock/bond portfolio for anyone reading this. Think about how much money has been lost owning gold. Ron Paul's net worth would probably be quadruple what it is now had he owned equities instead of metals. Real estate historically has done well during inflation but it sure feels like real estate is in a bubble now.

That said, I think equities will probably be lower three years from now than they are today. And I have a third of my net worth in Palladium and maybe 5% in VALE which are tied on some level to inflation.

If you don't already have a mortgage, get one.

If you've had one for a while, refinance it to 30 year.

Other than that, stock up on TP. It's one of the few commodities not in a bubble currently
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    If you don't already have a mortgage, get one.

If you've had one for a while, refinance it to 30 year.

Other than that, stock up on TP. It's one of the few commodities not in a bubble currently
    IF you can get one. read the other day there is more realtors than property for sale.

Good time to Re-Fi but watch the handling charges.

TP is good. I'm still buying ammo when and where I can at a good deal. It's crazy now but I prefer it to metals. The R.O.I. in the foreseeable future will pay dividends,

Lumber and tools have always been my "investment".

If inflation were going to be the real problem then I'd take Krugminators 60/40 model and change to 30 percent stocks 20 percent bonds and 50 percent commodities or land. A many of you know I am old and retired maybe 6 years ago . I am not concerned much with making a lot of money I just want to keep my simple , comfortable lifestyle . I sold all my stocks and bonds when I retired , all my oil before that , pd all the tax and pretty well invested everything into livestock , land , trees , equipment , tools , ammo , lead , copper , bronze ,nickel , silver , gold , weapons etc . I have a savings account with my Life Ins co that is currently paying 4 percent so I stick a few bucks in it ea quarter when I pay my bill. I do think all young people should be in the market for a minimum of whatever percentage it takes to get your max employer 401K match . You never know how long they can keep the overinflated Dow going , the over valued housing market etc. take the free money is my advice . I made my first million the hard way . Working for it , LOL.
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-26-2021 at 11:47 AM.
    Do something Danke

Sometimes, lumbers and tools are all you need.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The easiest way for most folks is to shift purchases forward, which is after all, why the moneyprinters like to imagine they're "stimulating the economy" - they're incentivizing, by fiat/force, people to spend money now before it devalues.

No solution until we drive the moneyprinters out of the temple. And that won't happen until HIS return, for this is the reign of ESAU. It is the time of JACOB's TROUBLE. It is the time of the FLOOD of revelations. (a flood of what? Figure it out )
    >_<

comic books
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Inflation is here, seriously.

What are you doing to protect yourself from it?
    I bought a time machine.

I skipped back to 2016 and bought a case of pork & beans for 19 cents a can from Big Lots.

Buying over a year or more of household products I commonly used saved me big time. Metals have done....nothing. stocks and bonds have gone down. Commodity super cycle is in the beginning stages

Quote Originally Posted by jon4liberty View Post
    Buying over a year or more of household products I commonly used saved me big time.
    In a by-design inflationary economy, it is never a bad idea to buy non-perishables in bulk, and volume.

Metals have done....nothing.
    One thing to keep in mind about precious metals is that the quoted prices are highly manipulated via "paper" metal. While that does nothing for the investor, it's worth noting to holders of physical who do so for purposes of SHTF planning. Physical won't mean anything when the SHTF, but in the inevitable recovery, the real value of metals will be re-discovered.

That said, I think the SHTF scenario is not likely. It could happen, and the odds of it happening in this period time are better than at any other time in history given the mechanisms we humans have erected which have the ability to cause such a scenario (nuclear weapons, a global fiat currency regime, etc.), but at the same time, those who hold the reins of power are not incentivized to allow it to happen. But also, it's unlikely until it isn't. I hold a little gold, a little more silver - maybe about 10% of my total. I keep pre-'84 pennies. I have a fairly poorly funded 401K due to some life circumstances, a modest bank balance, but a plan for the next 20 years that if we aren't living in Mad Max sometime between now and then should get me through the twilight years. And if we do end up living in Mad Max, I possess my fair share of another soft metal - lead. I believe in soft metals - gold, silver, lead and tin.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    In a by-design inflationary economy, it is never a bad idea to buy non-perishables in bulk, and volume.

One thing to keep in mind about precious metals is that the quoted prices are highly manipulated via "paper" metal. While that does nothing for the investor, it's worth noting to holders of physical who do so for purposes of SHTF planning. Physical won't mean anything when the SHTF, but in the inevitable recovery, the real value of metals will be re-discovered.

That said, I think the SHTF scenario is not likely. It could happen, and the odds of it happening in this period time are better than at any other time in history given the mechanisms we humans have erected which have the ability to cause such a scenario (nuclear weapons, a global fiat currency regime, etc.), but at the same time, those who hold the reins of power are not incentivized to allow it to happen. But also, it's unlikely until it isn't. I hold a little gold, a little more silver - maybe about 10% of my total. I keep pre-'84 pennies. I have a fairly poorly funded 401K due to some life circumstances, a modest bank balance, but a plan for the next 20 years that if we aren't living in Mad Max sometime between now and then should get me through the twilight years. And if we do end up living in Mad Max, I possess my fair share of another soft metal - lead. I believe in soft metals - gold, silver, lead and tin.
    It's advisable to buy beef/pork and chicken in bulk too.
    Freezers don't draw much and a small generator will keep several running in an emergency.
    My last beef was around $3.00lb in the freezer.

I went all in on metals since 2013. Dabbled little with stocks. I have much regret lol taxes are easier though

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    It's advisable to buy beef/pork and chicken in bulk too.
    Freezers don't draw much and a small generator will keep several running in an emergency.
    My last beef was around $3.00lb in the freezer.
    Yes sir. My family buys a half beef every year from a local farm. Excellent meat that isn't chemical treated, and they also sell chicken and pork, which we haven't bought yet. I also plant a garden every spring, and this year I'm planning on putting in a chicken coop.

I have a small generator and a small fuel supply. A freezer will stay cold as long as you open/close it quickly, which saves on how long you need to run the generator to keep it running.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon4liberty View Post
    I went all in on metals since 2013. Dabbled little with stocks. I have much regret lol taxes are easier though
    Understandable. Going all in on anything is usually not a good strategy, just because it assumes perfect knowledge. Gotta hedge... you never "know".

Yeah very true. I keep buying into silver narrative and won't break the cycle to be diversified.

Learn to can. Although we've saved money buying cans ahead of time, there is a lot of markup in some store cans - plus you can process perishables about to go bad from wherever you find them - that most people won't.

Eating deer burgers tonight , soon , time for some crappie filets.
    Do something Danke

Well, I quit my job, lol. For real.

I went back to selling vintage clothes online (vintage is trending and I'm easily covering our groceries) and I was offered a job bartending that I'm thinking of taking. I like making cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Eating mushrooms , crappie filets and wild turkeys. Using the grocery monies for gasoline.
    Do something Danke