Thread: Getting off the Microsoft Morphine Drip

Getting off the Microsoft Morphine Drip

Would enjoy some discussion of getting off the spyware-infested corporate closed-source world.

Just had a funny discussion with a friend.

Him> "This new LED keyboard uses so much cpu, I need a faster computer"
    Me> "What you talkin bout, willus?"
    Him> "When I plug-in this keyboard, CPU usage spikes so much my video gets slow"
    Me> "You're using windows I see"
    Him> "What?"
    Me> "Windows auto-installs closed-source manufacturer drivers.
    Me> "Those drivers are what's doing some very stupid or evil things that take a lot of cpu."
    Him> "But with my linux box i don't get the LED color animation"
    Me> "How's life in the FREE CANDY van?"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Happy linux user since 2004.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Happy linux user since 2004
    Same here. I used to regularly reinstall Windows - because God only knows what unseen, unknown crap builds up in the system after you've used it for a while, or what any of it actually does (except make the system excruciatingly slow). But with Windows XP, Microsoft instituted a policy that after every five installs, you had to call Microsoft to get a new product key (without which you couldn't reinstall the OS) - and you had to explain why you needed it first.

Well, to hell with that! I had only dabbled with Linux at that point, and had very little experience with it. But I took the plunge and went full time with Linux (and "cold turkey" with Windows), because I'll be damned if was going to be interrogated by Bill Gates just to get his permission to use his precious goddam software - especially after I had already bought and paid for it in full. Linus Torvalds was never going to pull that kind of $#@! ... (and if he ever tried, he could be told to just $#@! right off, "because GPL" ...) That was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

I need to get back with linux. I really miss it.

Linux are for dirty communists.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Linux are for dirty communists.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom