Thread: FL - WWII era TBM Avenger crash lands on beach

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation FL - WWII era TBM Avenger crash lands on beach

Wish I was there, aircraft salvage at sea was one of my "fun" jobs.

Everybody is OK and hopefully the owner is well insured so they can get her back in the air again.

WWII-Era Bomber Plane Crash Lands in Ocean Near Florida Beach

https://www.breitbart.com/health/202...florida-beach/

Amy Furr 19 Apr 2021

A restored World War II airplane was forced to make an emergency landing near spectators over the weekend at Cocoa Beach, Florida.

“The Air Force’s Thunderbirds headlined the Cocoa Beach Air Show Saturday when the TBM Avenger’s engine cut out,” ABC 11 reported.

However, the pilot was the only person onboard the plane.

Organizers told Click Orlando the pilot landed safely in the water and was rescued moments later. He was not injured.

Video footage showed the moment the plane flew low over the waves as bystanders watched in shock:

The engine was heard sputtering as it came down and eventually hit the water.

According to the air show’s website, the TBM Avenger had returned to flying in January 2020:

The Valiant Air Command’s TBM Avenger #91188 was delivered to the United States Navy during World War II. Following her retirement she saw extensive service in the hazardous role of fire bomber for the U.S. Forestry Service. In 2002 she was acquired by the VAC and for 18 years has been undergoing an extensive restoration. On January 11th, 2020 she returned to skies for the first time in several years a testament to the hard work and dedication of the VAC’s skilled restoration volunteers.

“I seen the plane come down low and I was like ‘hey watch he’s going to do a low fly by’ at that second he actually did a belly bump off a wave which looked intentional because there were some people in front of him,” witness Brian Ditmer told Fox 19.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board were investigating the exact cause of the engine’s malfunction.

“He missed a lot of people. If it would have went down the first time he hit water it would have not been good. Like I said, he did an amazing job,” Ditmer said of the pilot.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Planes like that should never have to make emergency landings.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Planes like that should never have to make emergency landings.
    Heh. Planes like what? Planes designed to operate off carriers? Warplanes? Planes that fly on eighty year old technology? Planes built so the Japanese could shoot at them?

The Grumman TBF/TBM has made a lot of emergency landings.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-20-2021 at 06:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...