Thread: LA - 1 dead, 6 rescued, 12 missing from capsized lift boat off Port Fourchon

Exclamation LA - 1 dead, 6 rescued, 12 missing from capsized lift boat off Port Fourchon

One dead, 12 still missing from lift boat that capsized in Gulf near Louisiana, Coast Guard says

https://www.nola.com/news/weather/ar...b0002f662.html

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:42 am

A crew member was found dead and 12 were still missing off the Louisiana coast Wednesday as the U.S. Coast Guard continued its search of the Gulf of Mexico waters where a vessel capsized in rough seas Tuesday afternoon.

The Seacor Power, a lift boat that services oil platforms, left Port Fourchon on Tuesday afternoon and was soon overcome by hurricane-force winds and 7-to-9 foot seas generated by a strong line of thunderstorms that sliced through the region.

On Wednesday, Coast Guard rescuers were focused on an area seven miles off the coast where the 129-foot vessel lay crippled, but visible. They recovered the body of one crew member, rescued six others and were still searching for the remaining members of the 19-person crew, said Coast Guard Capt. Will Watson, who is overseeing the rescue operation.

Rough seas and rain made search efforts difficult for the boat and helicopter teams that were “saturating the area,” said Watson, who added that they were still hopeful more crew members would be rescued, and that some could still be trapped on the vessel.

“We are giving it everything we have,” Watson said.

According to the Coast Guard, the Seacor Power departed from Port Fourchon about 1:30 p.m. Tuesday after a line of thunderstorms packing winds greater than 39 miles per hour had moved through the region.

The vessel was headed east to the Main Pass oil exploration area near the mouth of the Mississippi River, to an oil platform owned by Talos Energy, according to WWL-TV, citing a source familiar with the vessel.

Forecasters had issued a marine warning earlier in the day about the line of storms, and just before 2:30 p.m., as the Seacor Power motored off the coast, forecasters from the National Weather Service issued another alert. They warned of potentially catastrophic waves and tropical storm-force winds, this time for the area into which the vessel was headed.

The forecasters asked sailors to head to safe harbor if possible, because vessels could sustain damage or capsize.

The line of thunderstorms that arrived ultimately produced wind gusts of 80 to 90 mph and high seas that exceeded the expectations of the Coast Guard, Watson said. Meteorologists said an unusual weather event, known as a "wake low," which formed behind the line of storms, contributed to the brutal conditions.

Disaster had struck by about 4:30 p.m., when another vessel passing nearby reported that the Seacor Power had taken on water and capsized.

Simon Bruce, 30, of Cut Off, was on board the Poppa P crew boat about 15 miles south of Port Fourchon when the storm hit. He said it was much stronger than his crew had expected. As the Poppa P rocked violently through the waves, he heard at least 15 distress calls over the radio, including a call that a shrimp boat had overturned and another vessel was taking on water.

The most frightening calls came from vessels near the Seacor Power, he said.

“They were screaming ‘Seacor Power just flipped,'” Bruce said. “It was terrifying to hear.”

The Seacor Power is what is known as a lift boat or "jack barge," a service boat often employed by the offshore energy industry. It has three massive legs, each about 250 feet long, that can be jacked down into the water to create a standing platform, and a 120-foot crane to handle tasks such as offshore construction.

As the families of crew members waited for reports on their loved ones, some questioned why the boat set sail with so much bad weather in the area.

“I can’t for the life of me understand whoever authorized that vessel to leave that port, knowing it moves so slow,” said Slidell resident Darra Morales, whose son, Chaz Morales, is one of the missing Seacor Power crew members.

She said the photo that the Coast Guard released of the capsized vessel makes her think the vessel was in the run position — with its legs raised — rather than in its standing position, where it would’ve been elevated above the waves.

“I know that boat,” she said.

Watson of the Coast Guard didn’t provide details on exactly how the Seacor Power capsized or came to rest on its starboard side.

The vessel is owned by Seacor Marine Holdings Inc., a Houston-based offshore transportation company that serves the oil and gas industry.

In a prepared statement, a Seacor Marine spokesperson Kendell Moore said the company is "deeply saddened by the news of the vessel capsizing" and is working with the Coast Guard and other authorities.

"We would like to thank the U.S. Coast Guard and good Samaritan vessels for their immediate response as well as the brave individuals who have further supported our search and rescue efforts. Our hearts and prayers go out to everyone involved," the statement said.

Watson said Wednesday that rescue efforts were focused on an area surrounding the vessel, which appeared grounded. He didn’t discuss particulars about how long the search and rescue efforts would go on.

He said safety was a priority and that rescuers were clinging to optimism that they would find the missing crew members, and that Seacor Marine was keeping in contact with the families.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    RIP
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

As the families of crew members waited for reports on their loved ones, some questioned why the boat set sail with so much bad weather in the area.

“I can’t for the life of me understand whoever authorized that vessel to leave that port, knowing it moves so slow,” said Slidell resident Darra Morales, whose son, Chaz Morales, is one of the missing Seacor Power crew members.
    If this story turns out like some other oil disaster stories, I suspect there’s some form of “company man” involved.

She said the photo that the Coast Guard released of the capsized vessel makes her think the vessel was in the run position — with its legs raised — rather than in its standing position, where it would’ve been elevated above the waves.
    My question also. I know nothing about these ships, but it seems like the safest thing to do in dangerous waves would be to put those feet down.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    My question also. I know nothing about these ships, but it seems like the safest thing to do in dangerous waves would be to put those feet down.
    They are extraordinarily unseaworthy, prone to capsizing and flooding both. Had an older deckhand that sailed with me for years, that almost lost his life in a sinking off Texas. He was trapped inside the deckhouse, unable to access any of the escape trunks, when the differential pressure blew out one the windows and he was able to squeeze out and make it to the surface.

You can't "jack down" in rough weather, because the motion of the barge, the pitching and rolling, would damage the legs and lifting gear as the legs slammed into the bottom as they got close.

If this story turns out like some other oil disaster stories, I suspect there’s some form of “company man” involved.
    Always. Be on location and ready to work, when you're told, or we'll find somebody else who can do the job.

Sounds like some pretty bad weather was forecast, but those localized storms usually pose no great threat.

Sounds like these guys ran into a "straight line squall" freak storm with winds well over 100 knots.

Heart goes out to the families of the crew mates.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

RIP
    Do something Danke

Among capsized Seacor Power's crew, here are the missing, the rescued and the recovered

https://www.nola.com/news/weather/ar...2df6926eb.html

Coast Guard search-and-rescue efforts started almost immediately after the Seacor Power lift boat capsized in rough Gulf of Mexico waters off the Louisiana coast.

Nineteen crew members were aboard when the jackup barge faltered on the afternoon of Tuesday, April 13. Here's what we know about the missing, the dead and the rescued eight miles south of Port Fourchon:
    The rescued

Rescuers saved six crew members in the hours immediately after the capsizing. None has been publicly identified.

That night also yielded the possibility of survivors aboard the vessel after Coast Guard searchers spotted five crew members on the Seacor Power’s hull. Two were rescued after they jumped off the hull, while a third fell in the water and vanished from sight.

Two others grabbed life jackets and radios that were dropped to them by a Coast Guard helicopter crew and went back into the ship. Officials and relatives hoped those two were still huddling huddling in air pockets and waiting to be saved.

Coast Guard search-and-rescue efforts started almost immediately after the Seacor Power lift boat capsized in rough Gulf of Mexico waters off the Louisiana coast.

Nineteen crew members were aboard when the jackup barge faltered on the afternoon of Tuesday, April 13. Here's what we know about the missing, the dead and the rescued eight miles south of Port Fourchon:
    The rescued

Rescuers saved six crew members in the hours immediately after the capsizing. None has been publicly identified.

That night also yielded the possibility of survivors aboard the vessel after Coast Guard searchers spotted five crew members on the Seacor Power’s hull. Two were rescued after they jumped off the hull, while a third fell in the water and vanished from sight.

Two others grabbed life jackets and radios that were dropped to them by a Coast Guard helicopter crew and went back into the ship. Officials and relatives hoped those two were still huddling huddling in air pockets and waiting to be saved.

Dylan Daspit, 30, of Breaux Bridge
    Jay Guevara, of Lafayette
    Quinon Pitre, 31, of the Lawtell area
    Chaz Morales, 37, of Slidell
    Gregory Walcott, 62, of Abbeville

The dead

Four bodies have been recovered since the capsizing, including that of a captain.

The Coast Guard on April 15 found the body of crew member Ernest Williams, 69, of Arnaudville in the water several miles west of the vessel. The body of David Ledet, 63, a captain from Thibodaux, was recovered April 14.

On April 16, divers contracted by the Seacor Power's owners found two bodies at the vessel. The Lafourche Parish coroner identified the men as Anthony Hartford, 53, of New Orleans and James Wallingsford, 55, of the northeastern Louisiana village of Gilbert.