Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Minnesota: Brooklyn Center Looting, Rioting in Wake of Daunte Wright Death

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Sure. Let’s go along with AOC. No doubt her and Pelosi’s plan would consist of renaming it to the Department of Social Justice and doubling it’s budget.
    What was I thinking ... $#@!!!!

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I know well. Been talking about it since 2007 on these forums. So I hope so also. Looks like they are going for 2nd degree manslaughter. She already resigned. Could have been just a stupid bone headed mistake. I'm pretty sure it was. But, we all should have to answer for stupid boneheaded mistakes when it involves the loss of life.
    Manslaughter is what the cop in Oakland who “mistakenly” used his gun instead of his Tazer was convicted of.

Judge Perry offered jurors three conviction options: second-degree murder (with a sentence of 15 years to life in prison), voluntary manslaughter (3 to 11 years), or involuntary manslaughter (2 to 4 years); in addition the jury could have decided to acquit. Prosecutor Michael O'Brien said that by shooting Grant, Mehserle inherently committed a crime. Intention meant murder or voluntary manslaughter, and an accident indicated recklessness on Mehserle's part and thus involuntary manslaughter.
    the jury announced that they had found Johannes Mehserle guilty of involuntary manslaughter, and not guilty of charges for second-degree murder or voluntary manslaughter charges.
    On November 5, 2010, Mehserle was sentenced to two years with double credit for time already served (due to California jail/prison overcrowding, one day in custody counts as two for most inmates), reducing his term by 292 days for the 146 days he has already spent in jail. The judge overturned the gun enhancement, which could have added an additional 3 to 10 years to the sentence.
    https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Oscar_Grant
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    This like the Floyd case and most of these cop shootings is a result of two idiots meeting. He shouldn't have ignored his warrant, shouldn't have fought with the cops and tried to run again. The cop should have tazed, not shot him.

The cop should go to prison for manslaughter, but the scumbag kid initiated the events that caused his own death.
    Tazers should not even be an option. They should be banned for Police. They serve as nothing more than a street justice torture device.

The female cop shouldn’t have even gotten in the way. The male cop should have yanked him to the ground when he started to try to get back in the car. I would guess that the female cop was the ranking officer, and caused the other cop to hesitate in his actions.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

In another one of those strange "coincidences", the white girlfriend of George Floyd (who died almost a year ago at the hands of the police), Courteney Ross, was a high school teacher for the newly shot and killed black man Daunte Wright.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-TEACHER.html

You may remember that in another "coincidence", George Floyd and the policeman who kneeled on his neck, "worked together evenings as security at a nightclub"...
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    In another one of those strange "coincidences", the white girlfriend of George Floyd (who died almost a year ago at the hands of the police), Courteney Ross, was a high school teacher for the newly shot and killed black man Daunte Wright.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-TEACHER.html
    Didn't know Floyd’s girlfriend was white, but that wouldn’t fit the narrative. Just like Daunte’s white mother doesn't fit the narrative.

Teacher, Dean, probable drug addict, tells us that her schools don't work. I’m shocked.

Ross, who had been with Floyd for three years until his death on May 25 last year, had worked as a dean at Edison High School while Wright was in attendance there.
    'Our system doesn't serve kids like Daunte. And now I'm seeing, more than ever, this system I once believed in, we're done doing what we need to be doing to protect Black life.'

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Manslaughter is what the cop in Oakland who “mistakenly” used his gun instead of his Tazer was convicted of.
    The Tulsa County auxiliary deputy, also. Second degree.

https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...imum-sentence/
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Just once I would like to see business owners defend themselves like the Koreans did during the L.A. Riots. Have gun, will travel. For a fee of course.

Female cops...

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

What does Duante Wright's criminal record have to do with him getting shot?
    There is a reason why some are stressing that this victim of police brutality also had a criminal past. And it isn't a good one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tLpeRvlrCU
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

The trial of Kim Potter for the killing of Duante Wright began today.

THREAD: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ental-Shooting

Guilty

Former Minnesota Police Officer Kim Potter Found Guilty in Death of Daunte Wright

https://www.breitbart.com/law-and-or...daunte-wright/

23 Dec 2021

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Jurors on Thursday convicted a suburban Minneapolis police officer of two manslaughter charges in the killing of Daunte Wright, a Black motorist she shot during a traffic stop after she said she confused her gun for her Taser.

The mostly white jury deliberated for about four days before finding former Brooklyn Center officer Kim Potter guilty of first-degree and second-degree manslaughter. Potter, 49, faces about seven years in prison on the most serious count under the state’s sentencing guidelines, but prosecutors said they would seek a longer term.

Potter, who testified that she “didn’t want to hurt anybody,” looked down without showing any visible reaction when the verdicts were read.

Potter, who is white, shot and killed the 20-year-old Wright during an April 11 traffic stop in Brooklyn Center as she and other officers were trying to arrest him on an outstanding warrant for a weapons possession charge. The shooting happened at a time of high tension in the area, with former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin standing trial just miles away for the killing of George Floyd. Potter resigned two days later.

Jurors saw video of the shooting that was captured by police body cameras and dashcams. It showed Potter and an officer she was training, Anthony Luckey, pull over Wright for having expired license plate tags and an air freshener hanging from his rear-view mirror. During the stop, Luckey discovered there was a warrant for Wright’s arrest for not appearing in court on the weapons possession charge, and he, Potter and another officer went to take Wright into custody.

Wright obeyed Luckey’s order to get out of his car, but as Luckey tried to handcuff him, Wright pulled away and got back in. As Luckey held onto Wright, Potter said “I’ll tase ya.” The video then shows Potter holding her gun in her right hand and pointing it at Wright. Again, Potter said, “I’ll tase you,” and then two seconds later: “Taser, Taser, Taser.” One second later, she fired a single bullet into Wright’s chest.

“(Expletive)! I just shot him. … I grabbed the wrong (expletive) gun,” Potter said. A minute later, she said: “I’m going to go to prison.”

In sometimes tearful testimony, Potter told jurors that she was “sorry it happened.” She said the traffic stop “just went chaotic” and that she shouted her warning about the Taser after she saw a look of fear on the face of Sgt. Mychal Johnson, who was leaning into the passenger-side door of Wright’s car. She also told jurors that she doesn’t remember what she said or everything that happened after the shooting, as much of her memory of those moments “is missing.”

Potter’s lawyers argued that she made a mistake by drawing her gun instead of her Taser. But they also said she would have been justified in using deadly force if she had meant to because Johnson was at risk of being dragged.

Prosecutors sought to raise doubts about Potter’s testimony that she decided to act after seeing fear on Johnson’s face. Prosecutor Erin Eldridge, in cross-examination, pointed out that in an interview with a defense expert Potter said she didn’t know why she decided to draw her Taser. During her closing argument, Eldridge also replayed Potter’s body-camera video that she said never gave a clear view of Johnson’s face during the key moments.

Eldridge also downplayed testimony from some other officers who described Potter as a good person or said they saw nothing wrong in her actions: “The defendant has found herself in trouble and her police family has her back.”

Prosecutors also got Potter to agree that she didn’t plan to use deadly force. They said Potter, an experienced officer with extensive training in Taser use and use of deadly force, acted recklessly and betrayed the badge.

For first-degree manslaughter, prosecutors had to prove that Potter caused Wright’s death while committing a misdemeanor — in this case, the “reckless handling or use of a firearm so as to endanger the safety of another with such force and violence that death or great bodily harm to any person was reasonably foreseeable.”

The second-degree manslaughter charge required prosecutors to prove that Potter caused Wright’s death “by her culpable negligence,” meaning she “caused an unreasonable risk and consciously took a chance of causing death or great bodily harm” to Wright while using or possessing a firearm.

Under Minnesota law, defendants are sentenced only on the most serious conviction if multiple counts involve the same act and the same victim. Prosecutors had said they would seek to prove aggravating factors that merit what’s called an upward departure from sentencing guidelines. In Potter’s case, they alleged that her actions were a danger to others, including her fellow officers, to Wright’s passenger and to the couple whose car was struck by Wright’s after the shooting. They also alleged she abused her authority as a police officer.

The maximum for 1st-degree manslaughter is 15 years.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345