Thread: CA: Sacramento Co. bans DIY car repairs, and common tools, such as torque wrenches

Exclamation CA: Sacramento Co. bans DIY car repairs, and common tools, such as torque wrenches

Sacramento, CA Makes DIY Auto Repairs Illegal

https://www.odometer.com/car-care/25...pairs-illegal/

Eric Z. Gasa March 08, 2021

It sounds as if Sacramento County has turned into a giant HOA.

If you're a car aficionado who lives in California or Sacramento for that matter, you might want to think about moving.

A few years ago California passed laws limiting the modifications that can be done to a car's exhaust. The state also has plans to outlaw the sale of new gasoline-powered vehicles in the state by 2035. Now Sacramento County has taken an extra step.

A new law passed by the county will limit the kinds of repairs car owners can do to their vehicles.

The new code defines allowed "minor repairs" as follows:

Minor adjustments, service, and repairs to automobiles or other passenger vehicles. Examples include but are not limited to: radiator, transmission, muffler, and brake repair, lubricant shops, diagnosis and tune-up, smog inspection, auto glass repair and installation, automotive seat covers, and re-upholstery, tire sales and service, and car washes.

Shall not include body and engine work as defined in “Major Automobile Repair.” (See Section 7.3 of the Zoning Code).

-Code Enforcement Sacramento

In summation, this law keeps car enthusiasts from completing more complex repairs which are outlined as jobs that would leave the vehicle inoperable for more than 24 hours. However more simple tasks like oil changes, tune-ups, tire changes, and brake changes, are allowed.

In addition, you are not allowed to work on another person's vehicle. Also, work done on any vehicle must be completed at the home the vehicle is registered to. Talk about red tape.

The new law also limits the use of many specialized tools for some reason too. The thing is many of these "specialized" tools are in fact common sights in garages. Restricted tools include air compressors, impact wrenches, and even tools as simple as torque wrenches. The law further defines these items as “tools not normally found in a residence.”

Yikes.

Even more troubling is the law's vagueness on restricted parts and tools. For example, regular disc brake changes are fine according to the law while drum brakes, common on older vehicles, are not mentioned in the code. So this means somebody changing the drum brakes on their classic Camaro might find themselves in some hot water if they're not careful.

An online explainer on the code says that the law is supposed to decrease the release of pollutants as well as maintain property values as some deem the sight of auto repairs in residential areas an eyesore.

“The chemicals involved in major automobile repair can pollute our neighborhoods and endanger the health and wellbeing of our residents,” reads the statement. “Furthermore, this kind of activity increases vehicle traffic and the visual impact can negatively impact property value.”

Many are wondering how these laws will be enforced. One member of the Grassroots Motorsports forum claims he has already been fined $430 for violating the code.

"I have not been left alone, they levied a $430 fine yesterday. You can request a hearing to review the code enforcement decision, which costs $700 to complain," he wrote.

It sounds as if Sacramento County has turned into a giant HOA. Proponents of the law argue that it is meant to prevent, scammy, fly-by-night shops from popping up in residential areas, but so far mainly personal car owners have felt the weight of the new code.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-08-2021 at 10:21 AM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These laws will not be enforced on the latinos.

Just you, whitey.

Not for me, thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post

Just you, whitey.
    When I was a teenager, my parents often took their cars, which included the car I drove to a trusted mechanic who operated out of his garage. He was latino. I'm guessing they will try to enforce it, I just don't know how much cooperation they will get from the police. If its reported, they will probably have to go after them, but if not I doubt the police will be seeking out these "criminals".
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Screw California and their rules.

Come to FL as long as you don't live in an HOA you can do what you want.

I'm actually for the junk vehicle ordinances, I don't want to live next to a house with non-running junk in the yard. But there is nothing wrong with doing your own repairs in the driveway as long as you keep things neat and aren't doing it at 1 am.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post

Just you, whitey.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    When I was a teenager, my parents often took their cars, which included the car I drove to a trusted mechanic who operated out of his garage. He was latino. I'm guessing they will try to enforce it, I just don't know how much cooperation they will get from the police. If its reported, they will probably have to go after them, but if not I doubt the police will be seeking out these "criminals".
    As soon as I saw this article, I assumed that the target was people setting up shops in regular neighborhoods. It happens, with all kinds of businesses. It is often a Hispanic person. The key giveaway is "re-upholstery".
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Noone really needs a torque wrench.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    lol , but around here homes do have air compressors and impact wrenches . hell you can buy a ryobi impact wrench at home depot when you get your drill and flashlight , are these $#@!ers suggesting i just rotate my tires with muh breaker bar ? sounds like they are putting cops , dogs and citizens in dangerous positions .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    if i could get one with a bayonet i'd take it
    Do something Danke

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    These tools of the trade have no place on our streets!
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    lol , but around here homes do have air compressors and impact wrenches . hell you can buy a ryobi impact wrench at home depot when you get your drill and flashlight , are these $#@!ers suggesting i just rotate my tires with muh breaker bar ? sounds like they are putting cops , dogs and citizens in dangerous positions .
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    These tools of the trade have no place on our streets!
    When the Constitution was written, it never granted you the freedom to use such tools. They didn't even exist. If you have problems taking something apart, get out your musket and shoot it. That is Constitutionally protected.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

CA: Sacramento Co. bans DIY car repairs, and common tools, such as torque wrenches

Commies are tools, so are they banning themselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

First they outlaw shop classes then tools.....

What's the end game?

Even in communist countries, you could fix your Lada, Škoda or Trabant. As I've been saying, what these psychopaths want is way worse.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Screw California and their rules.

Come to FL as long as you don't live in an HOA you can do what you want.
    Florida has Paint Chip Nazis.

From: "All I Think Is That It's Stupid": An Interview with Dave Barry

Reason: Why did you leave Coral Gables, the Miami suburb that's the libertarian paradise?

Barry: God, you talk about a libertarian nightmare! We got a ticket for painting our own living room white. And they came to the door, a guy in a uniform.

Reason: This is inside the house?

Barry: The interior living room. It turned out you had to have a permit if the job cost more than $50. I don't know what you can possibly do for less than $50 to have somebody come in your house. I had to pay the painter to go down to the city hall. This is after I called up city hall and ended up actually screaming. The painter spent a day getting a permit to do a job that took about half a day to actually do.

Then I wrote a column about that and discovered that there were people in Coral Gables who would wait until 2 o'clock in the morning to replace a sink because to do it during the daytime you'd see the trucks outside. Two trucks. That's a carpenter and a plumber. So that's two different permits. People were not fixing their houses because they didn't know how to get the permits. It was crazy.

Reason: If you have a cat out of the house, it's supposed to be on a leash there.

Barry: Yeah, and you're not allowed to park a truck in your driveway. You're not allowed to work on your house on Sunday. The people who enforce these laws are nuts. After I wrote a column on this, I got I don't know how many letters from Coral Gables homeowners, story after story after story, wonderfully horrible stories. And the venom they felt for their own government! You cannot paint the exterior of your house. You have to take the paint chip down to show the paint-chip Nazis. It goes on all the time and it's hilarious. People are afraid to own their own homes. People are afraid their own government will catch them fixing their houses.

Now California has Car Repair Nazis.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    First they outlaw shop classes then tools.....

What's the end game?
    "You'll own nothing. And you'll be happy." -- WEF (World Economic Forum)

Or else.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a ploy by women to try and keep their husbands out of the man cave so we have to sit down and talk about feelings instead.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

Yet again another reason to hate California.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    This is a ploy by women to try and keep their husbands out of the man cave so we have to sit down and talk about feelings instead.
    Hubby needs to explain how her automobile won't work if he isn't allowed to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Florida has Paint Chip Nazis.

From: "All I Think Is That It's Stupid": An Interview with Dave Barry

Reason: Why did you leave Coral Gables, the Miami suburb that's the libertarian paradise?

Barry: God, you talk about a libertarian nightmare! We got a ticket for painting our own living room white. And they came to the door, a guy in a uniform.

Reason: This is inside the house?

Barry: The interior living room. It turned out you had to have a permit if the job cost more than $50. I don't know what you can possibly do for less than $50 to have somebody come in your house. I had to pay the painter to go down to the city hall. This is after I called up city hall and ended up actually screaming. The painter spent a day getting a permit to do a job that took about half a day to actually do.

Then I wrote a column about that and discovered that there were people in Coral Gables who would wait until 2 o'clock in the morning to replace a sink because to do it during the daytime you'd see the trucks outside. Two trucks. That's a carpenter and a plumber. So that's two different permits. People were not fixing their houses because they didn't know how to get the permits. It was crazy.

Reason: If you have a cat out of the house, it's supposed to be on a leash there.

Barry: Yeah, and you're not allowed to park a truck in your driveway. You're not allowed to work on your house on Sunday. The people who enforce these laws are nuts. After I wrote a column on this, I got I don't know how many letters from Coral Gables homeowners, story after story after story, wonderfully horrible stories. And the venom they felt for their own government! You cannot paint the exterior of your house. You have to take the paint chip down to show the paint-chip Nazis. It goes on all the time and it's hilarious. People are afraid to own their own homes. People are afraid their own government will catch them fixing their houses.

Now California has Car Repair Nazis.
    That city is an extreme example. Most of FL if you aren't in an HOA you can do what you want. If you buy in an HOA it's your own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    That city is an extreme example. Most of FL if you aren't in an HOA you can do what you want. If you buy in an HOA it's your own fault.
    The same could be said about "most of CA" with respect to Sacramento's new Car Repair Nazis.

And HOAs have nothing to do with it. Neither Sacramento nor Coral Gables is an HOA.

I live in Free America, I have one that shoots 200 ft/lbs per second!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.