Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Derek Chauvin used unauthorized neck restraint on George Floyd, training officer testifies"

Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    This video seems very similar to the Tony Timpa video. No one would watch that and assume that the officers didn't kill that man, but the misdemeanors they were charged with were dismissed.
    Does that mean that because those cops got off, these cops should get off too?
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Contumacious View Post
    In conclusion THE ONLY WAY BIDEN IS GOING TO SEE THE INSIDE OF THE OVAL OFFICE IS VIA THE A WHITEHOUSE PUBLIC TOUR

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Sorry, man... The way I see it is that the cops got called because a guy tried to pass off a bogus FRN to get a pack of cigs and they escalated it to the point of choking a guy out in front of a crowd. This is a law enforcement issue - not an issue with any particular cop.

You can blame the victim for not being subservient enough, you can blame the crowd for getting involved, you can blame miscommunication... But ultimately, the cops turned a weak attempt at petty theft into murder.
    Sure, but apparently Chauvin didn't show up until after the situation escalated.. he was there to de-escalate, and I don't know what more he could have done without proper hindsight. If we aren't putting all the blame on this one guy, do we put this guy in jail? I have no problem with looking at the system as a whole and trying to reform it, as opposed to blaming this one cop. It seems he is being used as the scapegoat.
    Last edited by dannno; 04-08-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Does that mean that because those cops got off, these cops should get off too?
    The cops should get off, they just did what they were trained to do - and it wasn't completely unreasonable. The system could certainly use a lot of reform.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Sure, but apparently Chauvin didn't show up until after the situation escalated.. he was there to de-escalate, and I don't know what more he could have done without proper hindsight. If we aren't putting all the blame on this one guy, do we put this guy in jail? I have no problem with looking at the system as a whole and trying to reform it, as opposed to blaming this one cop. It seems he is being used as the scapegoat.
    More like a sacrificial lamb. They wouldn't want the citizenry to look at the institutions.

That being said, I'll lose no sleep if their foot soldiers start taking falls because of their practices. That could lead to some real change... Eventually.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12