Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local business owners face worker shortage

Local business owners face worker shortage

DECATUR, Ala. (WAFF) - Some business owners in Morgan County are facing challenges with hiring workers for multiple positions.

Looking for workers have become the new normal for some businesses in the county. According to our news partners at the Decatur Daily, Tara Hutchison, Alabama Department of Labor spokeswoman, said the department is hearing reports from employers across the state that workers have become difficult to find.

“We cannot say that it is directly related to any increased unemployment payments or stimulus packages,” she said. “Alabama has experienced significant cases of COVID-19, which could have an impact (on worker availability), along with the fact that schools statewide could be impacted by the virus and have gone virtual, thereby forcing some parents to stay home.
    More: https://www.waff.com/2021/03/22/loca...rker-shortage/
    It couldn't have anything to do with continually extending unemployment benefits and all of the “stimulus” checks from the government? Even though many people say they will not look for work until the unemployment checks run out, it can’t be everyone, can it?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here it is because they make 800 a week or more on unemployment with the bonuses from taxpayer dollars when they made 500 to work . Thanks to aunt nancy and uncle biden
    Do something Danke

Retards gonna retard .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Here it is because they make 800 a week or more on unemployment with the bonuses from taxpayer dollars when they made 500 to work . Thanks to aunt nancy and uncle biden
    Should just give everyone 800 a week. Much simpler
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Should just give everyone 800 a week. Much simpler
    If they do that they can just give them 400 , they wont need the extra money to eat out as all the restaurants will be closed.
    Do something Danke

Alabama has an ongoing issue with young people leaving the state. Especially any college grads.

Where I live in Mobile, the area has a reputation for lowball wage offers. People might look at what their job skills can earn elsewhere and leave. I might do the same.

Florida business owners struggle to find workers: 'We shouldn’t be competing with the government'

“We have a huge crisis on our hands”, said Carlos Gazitua of Sergio’s Family Restaurants, a family-owned operation with 13 locations and dealing with a 30% job vacancy rate.

“We just can’t find anyone, we’ve never seen it this bad,” Gazitua said.

In Palm Beach County, restaurateurs are also struggling to find new hires.
    Horne also serves on the board of Florida’s Restaurant & Lodging Association where the need for workers has forced some members to adjust hours or even days of operation. The struggle is a top concern for members around the state who also believe the government has made it impossible for business owners to compete in the hiring game.

“You’re competing with the government, that’s not who we should be competing with for jobs,” he said.
    While Florida’s unemployment benefits are among the stingiest across the country at just $275 per week, couple that with $300 per week of ongoing federal unemployment assistance due to the pandemic and, Horne said, people have little incentive to return to work.

“If it’s close to the same amount of money to stay home and get help then why go to work? I can go to the beach all day and still get a check.” Horn said.
    More: https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/l...the-government
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-08-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

It couldn't have anything to do with continually extending unemployment benefits and all of the “stimulus” checks from the government? Even though many people say they will not look for work until the unemployment checks run out, it can’t be everyone, can it?
    Or the unreasonal expectations people hiring have. With how worthless college degrees are becoming with everyone getting one, in ten more years you will need a master's degree to become a clerk.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Restaurateurs Can’t Find Hires As Unemployment, Stimulus Checks Keep Workers Home

One might think people would be clamoring to get their jobs back, but restaurateurs say that’s not the case. A lot of people have left the industry altogether or they’ve found new ways to cover their bills.

“The unemployment checks and the stimulus checks are keeping people at home,” said Hartenstein.
    https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/04...ent-check-job/

Who would have thought paying people more to stay home and $#@! off than to work a crappy job was not such a great idea ? Personally , I dont think it is stimuli money but the unemployment bonus . Hell the stimuli money is gone fist week it goes out to low income people. The unemployment bonus though is a years long gift that just keeps on giving .
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-10-2021 at 09:32 AM.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Who would have thought paying people more to stay home and $#@! off than to work a crappy job was not such a great idea ? Personally , I dont think it is stimuli money but the unemployment bonus . Hell the stimuli money is gone fist week it goes out to low income people. The unemployment bonus though is a years long gift that just keeps on giving .
    Anecdotal, but many people say they won't look for work until the unemployment payments run out. That has always been common. Requirements to look for work while collecting unemployment have always been a wink-wink joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    Or the unreasonal expectations people hiring have. With how worthless college degrees are becoming with everyone getting one, in ten more years you will need a master's degree to become a clerk.
    Employers are always looking for the cheaper labor. And claiming they can't find workers is often a ploy to bring in foreign workers at a lower wage. Or a ploy by foreigners making employment decisions in the US to bring more of "their own" (family, relatives, friends, people from their school, home town or home country, etc).

One story on TV about a resort town that needs summer employees said that they depend upon foreign labor, usually students. That's pretty common at all kinds of resorts. COVID restrictions on travel have made their foreign labor pool unavailable.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-10-2021 at 10:16 AM.

I do work on the side helping my son an a few other things but I would like to have a part time low on the food chain job but I can't wear a mask and that is why I am not going to find a job.

Companies 'challenged' to find workers: Shortage baffles employers across hiring spectrum

Stimulus checks and unemployment benefits with $300 extra during the COVID-19 pandemic may have been disincentives to work, she said, but she said she wasn’t certain about that.

“We are not really understanding if there is anything else keeping seekers away,” she said.
    “The difficulty is getting people to even apply,” Mallon said, “and once we have them apply, it’s having them qualified to run the equipment and deliver the product. We’ve been challenged like everyone else.”
    https://www.tribdem.com/news/compani...85e9a122e.html
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-27-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Labor shortage worsens: Where are all the workers?
    Businesses struggle to fill open positions

It's "help wanted" -- everywhere.

As the economy rebounds, businesses from restaurants to theme parks are finding it hard to find people to work right now.

Meggan Jones, who recently found a medical job after seven months out of work, said she was stunned by how many open positions she found job hunting this spring.

"There are tons of opportunities there, and you don't know what might happen," the Adams County, Ohio woman said.
    Businesses have so many openings that many are now boosting pay, as minimum wage will no longer cut it, even for entry level work.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-27-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Keep extending unemployment payments and stimulus checks. What could possibly go wrong?

(Economic) ignorance is the enemy.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://twitter.com/brad_polumbo/sta...84390069583877
    https://twitter.com/robkhenderson/st...83680839593985
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Employers are always looking for the cheaper labor. And claiming they can't find workers is often a ploy to bring in foreign workers at a lower wage.
    Oh my god, the nerve of them.

I always try to find the most expensive, US made brand when I shop.

Local KFC is offering a $300 hire on bonus. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Oh my god, the nerve of them.

I always try to find the most expensive, US made brand when I shop.
    Penny wise, pound foolish. Been hashed a 1000 times already.

I guess it depends where you live and what industry. I have been given an exact date and time for phone interviews and many of the employers never call me back. After dealing with BS like this for so long I don't have any sympathy for these employers.

https://twitter.com/Chesschick01/sta...95651527565317

https://twitter.com/ChefGruel/status...72691277811712
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 04-30-2021 at 03:15 AM.

It's the new wave of communism that the Democrats are bringing in. Enjoy it while you can. It comes hand in hand with all the difficulties that the markets and business owners face due to inflation that has brought havoc into the whole system. I own a few grocery shops in California, and the suppliers cannot give me products sometimes due to the shortage of cash I have as the sales are going down over the last few months. I had to go the extra mile and get some money ahead with the help of https://factorforyou.com/california-factoring/ who gave me money before I got paid by a few of my partners.
    Last edited by Gwynevere; 05-22-2021 at 04:11 PM.

They are conditioning people to accept Universal Basic Income.

When that comes to fruition I am going into Jeremiah Johnson mode.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    They are conditioning people to accept Universal Basic Income.
    Yep. Not bad money compared to working for minimum wage.

An unemployed person in expensive California might receive a maximum of $1,050 per week (including the federal bonus), but a person in Nebraska might receive up to $1,040. Every state has a different way of calculating benefits, and not everyone will receive the maximum amount.
    Over 50k per year. Is that tax free? If it’s tax free, what is the taxable equivalent? 80k? That probably doesn’t include the extra stimulus checks.

This can’t be true… millions of invaders stealing all of those jobs, from Americans who complain and cannot wait to work…

Prime time to get .gov out of the immigration and American [un]employment business.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Came across this. Interesting takes from the "libertarians" over at Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian...age_it_has_an/

Summary: Not a lot of love for John Stossel and business owners. Lots of love for unemployment benefits.

Inflationary time bomb getting close to going off . Your Big Mac price will be going up . US labor shortage reaches level of national economic emergency in some states due to the continual extensions of the huge unemployment tax payer funded bonuses doled out by congress and senate to those who dont want to work .
    Do something Danke

My business tanked hard in 2020. I had to get a second job in construction. I am 50 and that's the hardest I worked in a while-- no complaints, it builds character.

Someone I know went on unemployment and partied the whole time hitting up a bunch of weekend underground music festivals. His daughter caught head lice playing with some hippie kids there, but for all the close contact, no one that he knows of caught COVID at those gatherings.

Now I don't begrudge him. I think he was smarter than me, took advantage of what was there and had a whole helluva lot more fun than me, but alright, time to get back to reality.

Elect me for president. My slogan will be, "GIT YO ASS BACK TO WORK, MFer!!!"

US Factory orders fall more than expected in April as a .6 percent drop. US manufacturing still around 12 percent of the economy so thats not good when that is in decline .
    Do something Danke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast