Thread: Ozarks folk

Ozarks folk

I don't know these folks but they're of the right mindset.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I couldn't agree more! These skill sets are going to be more precious than any amount of money in the world. One of the reasons I admire the Amish so much, simple and plain, but they get the jobs done without the help of outside city folk.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I don't know these folks but they're of the right mindset.
    Agreed. I watched a second video of his on "homesteading essentials" and in the first few minutes he talks about one's "plans." That one might think a welder is non-essential because if one doesn't know how to use a welder, it wouldn't be part of the plan. But that mindset limits the homestead. He suggests expanding one's view on what's possible and include empowering tools like welders in one's plans. An interesting (and valuable) twist on planning.

Reminds me of a speech Karen Kwiatkowski gave a long time ago where she speculated that freedom wasn't popular because people lacked the imagination to see how it would benefit them. Our minds can imprison us or free us. I'm going to look into getting a welder.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    I'm going to look into getting a welder.
    Pro tip from a non-pro.

Don't get a 110V mig or stick welder unless you only want to tack sheet metal together.

I bought my big Lincoln Idealarc AC/DC stick machine from a public school vocational school auction.

I gave $200 bucks and it was it perfect shape and less than 10 years old.

Another option is to buy an engine driven welder which can serve as a generator.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Agreed. I watched a second video of his on "homesteading essentials" and in the first few minutes he talks about one's "plans." That one might think a welder is non-essential because if one doesn't know how to use a welder, it wouldn't be part of the plan. But that mindset limits the homestead. He suggests expanding one's view on what's possible and include empowering tools like welders in one's plans. An interesting (and valuable) twist on planning.

Reminds me of a speech Karen Kwiatkowski gave a long time ago where she speculated that freedom wasn't popular because people lacked the imagination to see how it would benefit them. Our minds can imprison us or free us. I'm going to look into getting a welder.
    how's it going on that?
    what do you think you might need it for?