Thread: Jay Leno Apologizes for Decades of Jokes About Asians: ‘In My Heart I Knew It Was Wrong’

Post Jay Leno Apologizes for Decades of Jokes About Asians: ‘In My Heart I Knew It Was Wrong’

Years later, Leno apologizes for politically incorrect ethnic jokes. Though not a hardcore pawn of hollywood machine/media cons, anti-Trump NBC host was pro Biden/Dems.

Jay Leno Bids ‘Tonight Show’ Farewell With Oprah, President Obama & Kim Kardashian (Feb 2014)

Mar 24, 2021

Jay Leno Apologizes for Decades of Jokes About Asians: ‘In My Heart I Knew It Was Wrong’

Late-night host and comedian Jay Leno has issued an apology for a series of jokes told over his career targeting Asian communities.

The apology comes after a nearly 15-year campaign from the activist group Media Action Network for Asian Americans (MANAA) for remarks as recent as Variety‘s 2020 report that Leno cracked about Koreans eating dog meat — a complaint that offended numerous players on the set of NBC’s “America’s Got Talent.”
    “At the time I did those jokes, I genuinely thought them to be harmless,” Leno said in a joint press release with MANAA leader Guy Aoki. “I was making fun of our enemy North Korea, and like most jokes, there was a ring of truth to them.”
    Leno continued, “At the time, there was a prevailing attitude that some group is always complaining about something, so don’t worry about it. Whenever we received a complaint, there would be two sides to the discussion: Either ‘We need to deal with this’ or ‘Screw ‘em if they can’t take a joke.’ Too many times I sided with the latter even when in my heart I knew it was wrong.”

In light of that, Leno said, “I am issuing this apology. I do not consider this particular case to be another example of cancel culture but a legitimate wrong that was done on my part. MANAA has been very gracious in accepting my apology. I hope that the Asian American community will be able to accept it as well, and I hope I can live up to their expectations in the future.”

Entertainment and media has been increasingly vocal about and horrified by a wave of anti-Asian violence in the U.S., which many attributed to Trump era rhetoric and blaming China for the spread of the coronavirus. Last week, a lone gunman killed eight people at three spas in Atlanta. Six of the eight victims were Asian women, which has inspired rallies nationwide standing against hate crimes and supporting the AAPI community.
    variety.com/2021/tv/news/jay-leno-asian-jokes-apology-manaa-nbc-fox-1234937201/

Related

"How Many Times Must We Tell You to Never Apologize to These Scumbags?"
    Last week, CBS canceled new episodes of The Talk as they launched an investigation into the allegations raised against Osbourne.
    “I mean, who the f*** does slanty eyes think she is? She shouldn’t be pillow-talking with our boss,” Remini alleged that Osbourne said of Chen and her husband Les Moonves, who was the CBS boss at the time.
    ‘She is furious about the slew of accusations made about her and is refusing to bow to the mounting pressure to leave.’
    The source added: ‘As far as she is concerned, she apologized over the on-air debate and hasn’t done anything else wrong.’

Korean American Rep. Young Kim: 'I'm the future of the Republican Party'

Kim is particularly forceful in rebuking Trump for his inflammatory language about COVID-19 and Asians. "When he called it 'Kung Flu,' I said enough is enough. Leaders' words have consequences. And the leader has to be very sensitive about what they say. That comment was very insensitive and I called him out on that. And I wanted to make sure that, you know, we love immigrants, we love diversity. And this pandemic was not caused by any one ethnicity or any group of people. I wanted to make sure that my community knows that I'm with them; I understand. And that message had to be sent," she said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Getting real sick and tired of people apologizing for things that they shouldn't of.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Getting real sick and tired of people apologizing for things that they shouldn't of.
    Ya
    Do something Danke

I used to kind of like Leno.

Now, I invite that big jawed freak to go f himself.

Just another over-indulged celebrity that I will ignore forever.

Quote Originally Posted by sparebulb View Post
    I used to kind of like Leno.

Now, I invite that big jawed freak to go f himself.

Just another over-indulged celebrity that I will ignore forever.
    He's weak...

I suspect most of it comes from his high box bitch of a communist wife.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

The death of more than just comedy...when the court jesters can no longer tell the truth.

The apology comes after a nearly 15-year campaign from the activist group Media Action Network for Asian Americans (MANAA) for remarks as recent as Variety‘s 2020 report that Leno cracked about Koreans eating dog meat — a complaint that offended numerous players on the set of NBC’s “America’s Got Talent.”
    They do eat dog meat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_me...in_South_Korea
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-25-2021 at 10:20 PM.

One of the last real comedians.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The death of more than just comedy...when the court jesters can no longer tell the truth.

They do eat dog meat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_me...in_South_Korea
    I lived in South Korea in the lead up to the 1988 Olympics. They banned eating dog to avoid the stygma, but if you went to markets not visited by tourist, you would see dogs hanging like slabs of beef. In traditional medicine it was supposed to give stamina. Especially for sex.

Protein is protein in my opinion. I thought the Koreans should have told Westerners to go screw themselves. I tried to talk a Korean friend to take me to a restaurant that served Gaegolgi--. I will try any food once. He refused because the restaurant owner would have freaked out if a Westerner walked in. I thought that was stupid. It's their country. They should do what they want, As should Americans with our own quirks like the 2nd Amendment.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    *whistles*

approximately 780,000 to 1 million dogs are consumed per year in South Korea.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I lived in South Korea in the lead up to the 1988 Olympics. They banned eating dog to avoid the stygma, but if you went to markets not visited by tourist, you would see dogs hanging like slabs of beef. In traditional medicine it was supposed to give stamina. Especially for sex.

Protein is protein in my opinion. I thought the Koreans should have told Westerners to go screw themselves. I tried to talk a Korean friend to take me to a restaurant that served Gaegolgi--. I will try any food once. He refused because the restaurant owner would have freaked out if a Westerner walked in. I thought that was stupid. It's their country. They should do what they want, As should Americans with our own quirks like the 2nd Amendment.

I lived in Korea and had dog meat.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

He needs to apologize to the British next for all the jokes he made about their teeth.... clearly it was racist
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I'm betting he's glad he had time to make his fortune before the dawn of The Humorless Age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

I'm betting he's glad he had time to make his fortune before the dawn of The Humorless Age.
    No kidding...that is one hell of a collection of cars he has.

Such is life while living through Marxist revolution: nothing is allowed to be non political.

That's a prototype jet car that he's pictured with kids, made by Chrysler, in 1965 IIRC, in case you were curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    He needs to apologize to the British next for all the jokes he made about their teeth.... clearly it was racist
    The British are white. They also happen to be one of the leading perpetrators of colonialism.

Therefore, there should be more racist jokes about the British - and those jokes should be as mean-spirited and cruel as possible.

This will help to achieve equity.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    The British are white. They also happen to be one of the leading perpetrators of colonialism.

Therefore, there should be more racist jokes about the British - and those jokes should be as mean-spirited and cruel as possible.

This will help to achieve equity.
    How many white people does it take to replace a light bulb?

None, there are minorities who do that for them
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    How many white people does it take to replace a light bulb?

None, there are minorities who do that for them
    A black, a hindoo and a Pak walk into the Pub.

The publican says:

"Get the $#@! out of here".

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.