Thread: Evanston, Illinois, Approves Nation’s First ‘Reparations’ for Black Residents

Exclamation Evanston, Illinois, Approves Nation’s First ‘Reparations’ for Black Residents

Evanston, Illinois, Approves Nation’s First ‘Reparations’ for Black Residents

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ack-residents/

Joel B. Pollak22 Mar 20212,770
    3:01

The liberal Chicago suburb of Evanston, Illinois, officially approved the first spending for “reparations” for black residents on Monday evening. It is the nation’s first reparations program, following an 8-1 vote by local aldermen in November 2019.

As Breitbart News noted at the time, the City of Evanston planned to fund the reparations with a new 3% marijuana tax:

Local leaders eye marijuana dispensaries as an attractive source of revenue to reverse what they call the ongoing impact of institutional racist and persisting effects of slavery, according to the Chicago Tribune. “The fund will be capped at $10 million, according to city of Evanston staff reports. City estimates project the marijuana tax could generate $500,000 to $750,000 per year,” the newspaper noted.

On Monday evening, the Chicago Tribune reported, Evanston’s city council finally approved the first payments under the program, targeted at black victims of past housing discrimination:

The specific measure approved Monday in an 8-1 vote establishes a $400,000 housing grant program, the first expenditure of that larger fund.

The resolution approved Monday directs initial funding of $400,000 from the city’s Local Reparations Fund to a housing program that will award eligible individuals up to $25,000. That money can be used to help with a home down payment or closing cost assistance within the city; help pay for repairs, improvements or modernizations of an Evanston property; or help pay down mortgage principal, interest or late penalties on Evanston property, according to a memo from Kimberly Richardson, interim assistant city manager.

To qualify, an applicant must have “origins in any of the Black racial and ethnic groups of Africa,” according to the memo. Applicants must also be a Black resident of Evanston between 1919-1969, or that person’s direct descendant.

Applicants also qualify if they experienced housing discrimination due to the city’s policies or practices after 1969.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jacking up the mj prices will ensure the black market survives and thrives, coincidentally doing harm to inner city AA's at the end of the day.
    "The issue is that you to define the best candidate solely based upon what they stand for." - CaptLouAlbano

This is the mindset trying to take hold on RPF.

"Kelly Thomas did this to himself." - FrankRep

All white people living in that area should identify as black.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I just looked up the demographics of Evanston where Northwestern is located. Pretty amazing Trump got 7% of the vote. The city elected their first Dem mayor in 1993. The suburbs are turning Dem at an alarming rate. The Congressional district I am last elected a Dem in the 40s before having two straight Dem wins.

Guilty white liberals are the worst.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 03-23-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    I just looked up the demographics of Evanston where Northwestern is located. Pretty amazing Trump got 7% of the vote. The city elected their first Dem mayor in 1993. The suburbs are turning Dem at an alarming rate. The Congressional district I am last elected a Dem in the 40s before having two straight Dem wins.

Guilty white liberals are the worst.
    Illinois was one of the main testing grounds of Obama’s plan to move people out of inner cities into suburban and rural areas. Shocking that those suburban and rural areas have changed so dramatically.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.