Thread: After Gagging Texans for a Year, Gov Abbott Goes After #FreeSpeech

After Gagging Texans for a Year, Gov Abbott Goes After #FreeSpeech

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    David Knight is awesome!

Quote of the day. "Free speech is only going to be around if we have the ability to offend other people."

That's what I was trying to say to @Anti Federalist in the Dr. Suess thread. It doesn't matter if I find the "Flit" ads offensive or not. I would never approve of censorship or "cancelling" an entire body of work of someone just because I don't like part of it. I wouldn't even "cancel" the part that I don't like. I don't have to like what other people like.

And it's sad that Gov Abbott would back legislation to stop private company censorship by Facebook while pushing from a government platform censorship of Gab. Really...that's how we got to where we are. At one point Facebook allowed ISIS to put up pages. They were hauled before congress. Then later they were hauled before congress for "allowing Russian interference" in 2016 by way of "fake accounts." They were admonished by the government to "reign in fake news." That is the real story that nobody is talking about. AF kind of hit on it when he said Facebook was acting like a government by censoring. I argued against his position, but now I'm rethinking it. If the reason Facebook and Twitter are censoring is in response to government pressure to censor, then isn't that a violation of the first amendment?
    Last edited by jmdrake; 03-15-2021 at 02:41 AM.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    And it's said that Gov Abbott would back legislation to stop private company censorship by Facebook while pushing from a government platform censorship of Gab.
    It's just populist pandering. The bill is incredibly stupid. Here:

Sec.143A.002.CENSORSHIP PROHIBITED. (a)An interactive
    computer service may not censor a user, a user's expression, or a
    user's ability to receive the expression of another person based
    on:
    (1) the viewpoint of the user or another person;
    (2)the viewpoint represented in the user's expression
    or another person's expression; or
    (3)a user's geographic location in this state or any
    part of this state.
    (b)This section applies regardless of whether the
    viewpoint is expressed on the interactive computer service or
    elsewhere.

(1)"Censor"means to block, ban, remove, deplatform,
    demonetize, de-boost, restrict, deny equal access or visibility to,
    or otherwise discriminate against expression.
    https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87...l/SB00012I.htm

Imagine the hell that the internet would be if something like this were to be law. No site could prohibit access or expression for any reason other than outright violation of the law.
    "The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear - fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else is safety."
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Contumacious View Post
    In conclusion THE ONLY WAY BIDEN IS GOING TO SEE THE INSIDE OF THE OVAL OFFICE IS VIA THE A WHITEHOUSE PUBLIC TOUR

After Gagging Texans for a Year, Gov Abbott Goes After #FreeSpeech
    He's getting pretty strong push back from Texans though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Abbott is big pussy. TX needs new leadership

Not defending Abbott here but Free Speech governance and First Amendment interpretation can be tricky for both State and DC Politicians:

Trump guts the First Amendment: signs Executive Order suppressing criticism of Israel

Reid had helped shepherd through the Senate a bill which would have written into law similar standards, the Anti-Semitism Awareness Act of 2016, but it ultimately died in the House. Krone successfully lobbied Kushner, who had been a Democrat until 2015, for the order to be drafted by the White House and signed by Trump.

Among those welcomed by Trump on the platform was Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz, a Democrat, who proclaimed that the executive order would “turn universities from being bastions of discrimination and hatred” and “go down in history as one of the most important events in the 2,000-year battle against anti-Semitism.” Other Democrats on the platform behind Trump as he signed the order were Representatives Max Rose from New York, Elaine Luria from Virginia and Josh Gottheimer of New Jersey.

One of Trump’s favorite far-right evangelical ministers, Robert Jeffress, was also given time to speak, assuring those assembled that God would “bless those who bless Israel and curse those who curse Israel” and the president was on the “right side of God.”

I would never approve of censorship or "cancelling" an entire body of work of someone just because I don't like part of it. I wouldn't even "cancel" the part that I don't like. I don't have to like what other people like.
    It's even more important to preserve speech no one likes. If we can't see what manipulations Hitler and Stalin used to gain power, how can we see who is using the exact same tactics on us today?
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Define Terrorist please.

According to, well, pretty much both political parties, the other party is now guilty of Terrorism.
    Listening to the mainstream media is like standing under a power line when the birds are migrating.

Angry

Hey Abbott "Anti semitism" is free speech if you don't like it you can get the hell out of america.

If the reason Facebook and Twitter are censoring is in response to government pressure to censor, then isn't that a violation of the first amendment?
    Given corporations would not exist without special protections granted by the government in the first place, it is prudent to assume they function as proxies for the government. Following this logic, they should be treated as if they are the government and be subject to the same restrictions the government is supposed to adhere to. At that point, the distinction becomes, "The government is using its proxies to censor, and isn't that a violation of the first amendment?"

Perhaps this is just me being some kind of conspiracy theorist, but I am of the belief there is a lot of collusion between corporations and politicians. Politicians receive corporate funding and corporations receive regulatory capture. Due to this, I do not believe drawing distinctions between the two as private or public entities serves much purpose other than to allow an unimpeded encroachment upon the rights of the common man.

Another reason why somebody needs to primary his ass in his reelection.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.