Ban on no-knock raids should pass Kentucky legislature with bipartisan majorities

by Rand Paul
February 26, 2021

On more than one occasion, the police have saved my life. When a deranged Bernie Sanders supporter spewed 200 rounds of ammunition onto the baseball field, I was only a few steps away from meeting my maker. Congressman Steve Scalise almost did. Capitol Hill Police and a brave policewoman from Alexandria battled the gunman and brought him down.

Just recently, an angry mob surrounded my wife and I, threatening to kill us. If you watch the video you can tell by our faces we absolutely believed the threats hurled at us. Once again police saved our lives.

For the record, both times the police officers were both Black and white, male and female. The narrative that the violence around us all revolves around race is false. Recently, when discussing the burning of Portland and Seattle, a black Dallas-Fort Worth airport police officer explained to me: “It’s not about race. It’s about right and wrong.”

The death of Breonna Taylor, likewise, is a tragedy, regardless of her race. For years before her death, I have been advocating an end to no-knock raids. I’ve often repeated the story of a no-knock raid in California where a 10-year-old boy was tragically and accidently shot in the back at close range. His race shouldn’t matter, but he was white.

read more:
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ds/6836207002/