Thread: IRS still hasn't processed millions of 2019 tax returns

IRS still hasn't processed millions of 2019 tax returns

Will the IRS pay interest and penalties? Lol. I kid.

'I still don't have my money': IRS still hasn't processed millions of 2019 tax returns

The Internal Revenue Service said in mid-February that it had yet to process 6.7 million individual income tax returns for 2019, based on data through Jan. 30.

Getting those returns processed — and any refunds involved in hand — may require additional review, dealing with corrections and addressing some ID theft-related problems where the IRS will need to work with taxpayers, according to the IRS.

Most 2019 federal income tax returns have been processed. But the lingering problems are significant, enough that the House Ways and Means Committee is asking the IRS for answers and calling for the IRS to extend the tax return deadline for 2020 tax returns beyond April 15.

"One year later, another unique filing season is underway, and many of these same pandemic-related difficulties and challenges persist for taxpayers, practitioners, and the IRS," according to a letter dated Feb. 18 signed by U.S. Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr., D-New Jersey, the chairman of the House Ways and Means subcommittee on oversight and others on the subcommittee. The letter was addressed to IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig.

Nobody ever wants to wait up to a year for a federal income tax refund. It's money that many people often use to cover holiday bills, winter utilities and even going to the doctor after delaying visits because they don't have the money.

But the backdrop of economic uncertainty surrounding the pandemic makes things even more troublesome for those who lost a job and had expected extra tax refund cash many months ago.

Some who faced headaches with those tax refunds said they had trouble getting their stimulus cash, too.

Errant tax notices trigger frustration
    The confusion has continued into 2021. In early February, the IRS sent out notices to about 260,000 taxpayers nationwide that claimed that the people had not yet filed their 2019 tax return.

One small problem? Many of those taxpayers did file their 2019 tax returns promptly last year, but the IRS has not yet processed them.

Oops. Later, the IRS issued a statement that essentially said don't panic or respond to the CP59 notice, if you did file a 2019 return.

"Due to pandemic-related shutdowns, the IRS has not completed processing all 2019 returns at this time," the IRS noted in its statement.

"Therefore, the CP59 notices should not have been sent because some portion of the recipients may actually have filed a return that is still being processed."

"There is no need to call or respond to the CP59 notice because the IRS continues to process 2019 tax returns as quickly as possible. The IRS regrets any confusion caused by this mailing."
    https://www.yahoo.com/money/still-do...121103068.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My tax preparer told me this. They also said 2020's returns could take 6-9 months via paper, or possibly as little as a few weeks if we signed up for the auto-deposit.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

behind due to plague and stimuli
    Do something Danke

So does this mean they will be paying us the penalty for late payment?

This is to be expected when Congress increases the IRS's duties and cuts its budget.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

The IRS is clearly underfunded, now that I'm no longer reporting people to the IRS.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    This is to be expected when Congress increases the IRS's duties and cuts its budget.
    Yes, this is a clear cut case, of the government needing more money, to perform its basic duties of taking other people's money.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

One could probably add "mismanaging the IRS" to the list of good things Trump did during his Presidency.
    - Kim Kardashian

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    behind due to plague and stimuli
    So there is a silver lining to the Chinavirus... I suddenly find myself inclined to support Bill Gates's Plandemic 2.0... IRS will be forever stuck processing 2019 returns, LOL...
    Jer. 11:18-20. "The Kingdom of God has come upon you." -- Matthew 12:28

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    So does this mean they will be paying us the penalty for late payment?
    Yes , they are paying self imposed interest .
    Do something Danke

I think the Mrs got 9 FRN's of Dankes tax dollars in interest .
    Do something Danke