Thread: Biden ends Trump Industry Apprenticeship Program

Exclamation Biden ends Trump Industry Apprenticeship Program

Can't have anybody escape the college/debt/Marxist indoctrination prison.

Biden Signs Executive Order Ending Trump Industry Apprenticeship Program

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...eship-program/

Joel B. Pollak 19 Feb 2021

President Joe Biden signed an executive order this week revoking former President Donald Trump’s order providing federal funds to apprenticeship programs created by industries, calling for more government-controlled alternatives.

In 2017, Trump signed Executive Order 13801, Industry-Recognized Apprenticeship Programs (IRAPs). The policy allowed “trade and industry groups, companies, non-profit organizations, unions, and joint labor-management organizations” to create their own apprenticeship programs that would help workers obtain the skills that the economy needed but that universities are not providing, or are providing at a cost that is unaffordable for many Americans.

“Registered Apprenticeships,” approved by the government, have been part of U.S. labor policy for decades. Under the Obama administration, these received more funding. But critics argued that the government-controlled model, run by the Department of Labor and with the involvement of labor unions, held back the growth of apprenticeships. The Trump order allowed industries (and unions) to develop their own programs, within regulations but independent of government control.

The Washington Post — hardly friendly to the Trump administration — reported that his new policy had bipartisan support:

Trump signed an executive order that seeks to reorient and expand ApprenticeshipUSA, a grant program that was previously championed by the Obama administration and has been supported by Democrats and Republicans alike.
    The administration’s aim, White House officials say, is to give more flexibility to third parties — including businesses, trade associations and labor unions — to design programs that will offer skills training to those who are seeking jobs for which they are not yet qualified.

Under current rules, the Labor Department is too heavy-handed in crafting the programs, they argue.

But left-wing groups, and some congressional Democrats, objected to Trump’s order. The Center for American Progress complained that Trump was creating “a parallel track that lacks adequate worker protections” that could allow for “the proliferation of low-quality programs.”

Democrats eventually frustrated Trump’s new system, as Bloomberg News noted this week: “Democrats in Congress blocked funding and the implementing regulations weren’t finalized until last year.”

Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC), the Ranking Member on the House Committee on Education and Labor, objected to Biden’s change in a statement:

“President Biden’s move to end IRAPs will kill jobs. Period. Doubling down on an inefficient, 80-year-old system that is unresponsive to workers’ needs is not a solution, it is irresponsible.

“In the last four months 131 IRAPs have been created, the vast majority of which are for nursing credentials. Why a party that claims to follow science would limit nursing credentials during a global pandemic is beyond me.

“Instead of catering to union bosses and increasing Washington’s overreach into the private sector, we should support and encourage efforts to cut the regulatory red tape that stops too many employers from filling in-demand jobs. Employer-led apprenticeship programs account for more than 80 percent of all apprenticeship programs nationwide. The success of these programs should come as no surprise, employers know best what skills their employees need to excel in the workplace.

The Biden White House described his new policy as “expanding registered apprenticeship programs,” with a view to training “diverse, local, well-trained workers who have a choice to join a union.”

The White House claimed that industry-run apprenticeships “have fewer quality standards than registered apprenticeship programs” and that they “fail to require the wage progression” that occurs under union-backed, government-run programs.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Love to hear what Mike Rowe has to say about this.

Biden is currently the head of the anti citizen league ( thats dems for any idiots ) .Expect more . It is what the bolsheviks voted for .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Love to hear what Mike Rowe has to say about this.
    I reckon he won't be happy about this.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Seems to me that none of this should be created or ended by executive order. Spending federal money at all on this is dubious.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Seems to me that none of this should be created or ended by executive order. Spending federal money at all on this is dubious.
    The Trump order allowed industries (and unions) to develop their own programs, within regulations but independent of government control.

In a free market, yes, this would not be a good idea..

However with all of the government money flowing into colleges for kids to rack up debt and get worthless degrees, this helps balance it out so people are getting real training in important fields.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Isn’t that kind of like saying “The Trump order allowed homeowners to mow their own lawns, within regulations but independent of government control”?

Is someone stopping a company or organization from creating an apprentice program? Is that a law?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Isn’t that kind of like saying “The Trump order allowed homeowners to mow their own lawns, within regulations but independent of government control”?

Is someone stopping a company or organization from creating an apprentice program? Is that a law?
    Yes, because government considers it a "school" with all that goes with that label.

Nothing is technically stopping any us of from opening a private school for instance, outside of the galaxy of government goofiness that must be complied with.

My understanding of this program and Trump's EO is that it relieved the compliance burdens of being a "school" from industries that wanted to start one.

I'll grant you have a point that maybe this isn't the best sort of thing to defend, but it just chaps my ass, as I'm a big fan of apprenticeship as a concept and especially as alternative to Marxist university indoctrination.

Yes, because government considers it a "school" with all that goes with that label.

Nothing is technically stopping any us of from opening a private school for instance, outside of the galaxy of government goofiness that must be complied with.

My understanding of this program and Trump's EO is that it relieved the compliance burdens of being a "school" from industries that wanted to start one.

I'll grant you have a point that maybe this isn't the best sort of thing to defend, but it just chaps my ass, as I'm a big fan of apprenticeship as a concept and especially as alternative to Marxist university indoctrination.
    I’m not familiar with any of the apprenticeship programs. It’s not surprising government is in the middle of it.

“Registered Apprenticeships,” approved by the government, have been part of U.S. labor policy for decades.
    Registered? That sounds like the start of government involvement.

Trump signed an executive order that seeks to reorient and expand ApprenticeshipUSA, a grant program that was previously championed by the Obama administration and has been supported by Democrats and Republicans alike.
    Ah, a grant program. On principle I’d oppose just about any Federal spending, but this would be a relatively low priority on my list of things to cut. So much more waste to choose from.

https://www.sgrlaw.com/new-rules-imp...d-apprentices/
    Many employers in the U.S. utilize student interns or apprentices to work on a short-term basis. Oftentimes, companies make such internship or apprenticeship opportunities available without offering pay for the provision of services, and indeed, many times students and others new to the workforce have been more than willing to work without pay for the opportunity to gain valuable job experience and skills they can utilize in the future.

The federal Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”) and state and local laws require employers to pay employees for their work. Interns and students, however, may not be considered employees and do not have to be paid when certain criteria are met.

In recent years, the U.S. Department of Labor (“DOL”) has taken a rather dim view on the practice of unpaid internships and applied a test in order for a company to justify bringing in a worker to serve as an unpaid intern that proved very difficult to meet. In January 2018, however, the DOL changed course on this topic and expressed a position that should permit more companies to bring in unpaid interns and apprentices without the same fear of potential wage liability.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Now I feel like I should have charged Danke for all of the fine learning I've given him over the years .
    Do something Danke

I’m not familiar with any of the apprenticeship programs. It’s not surprising government is in the middle of it.

Registered? That sounds like the start of government involvement.

Ah, a grant program. On principle I’d oppose just about any Federal spending, but this would be a relatively low priority on my list of things to cut. So much more waste to choose from.
    It is like death through debt by a thousand pricks.
    Last edited by kahless; 02-21-2021 at 12:49 PM.