Thread: I'm the last guy you'll hear this from...but enough is enough...these things need to be banned

Exclamation I'm the last guy you'll hear this from...but enough is enough...these things need to be banned

Freaking hi-blue high intensity LED vehicle headlights.

Especially the ones that GM uses in their trucks and SUVS.

Son of BITCH...these $#@!ing things blind me for half a mile, no matter what they are set at or what I try to do to mitigate it.

And everybody is starting to use the goddamn things.

That, and the auto-dimming systems. That's fine when you got two collapsed suns in your grill and the oncoming traffic picks it up and can dim a mile out.

But I drive old school $#@! that has two jam jars with glow worms for headlights.

$#@!'s sake...BAN THESE HAZARDs.

Or Imma do this.

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You need to get a tune up. Gates can plug you in and upgrade your light sensors so they are pleasing.

I've often wondered why headlights are not polarized 90 degrees from a polarized windshield.

Then the lights would hardly show to the on coming driver.

I too share a hatred for bright headlights.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Got brand new lenses and mine are still dim. It’s a hazard really. Headlights have never been great on the 7.3. .

I’m going to put some LEDs on it to replace the factory fog lights...

And that's how the $#@! starts. I just want a free-market solution. A rack of blinding light that sears the amygdala at a flip of my switch. Without laws that may work against me in personal defense.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I've often wondered why headlights are not polarized 90 degrees from a polarized windshield.

Then the lights would hardly show to the on coming driver.
    Briilliant (no pun intended) idea doc!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No wonder wonder government grows.

We go from, "Something annoys me" to "Government should stop this" in about zero seconds.

I'm not debating the merits of any sort of regulation of these lights. I'm saying that role of government should be to protect your liberty - not to provide you a safe space. Freedom to =/= freedom from.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    No wonder wonder government grows.

We go from, "Something annoys me" to "Government should stop this" in about zero seconds.

I'm not debating the merits of any sort of regulation of these lights. I'm saying that role of government should be to protect your liberty - not to provide you a safe space. Freedom to =/= freedom from.
    You realize this is tongue in cheek, right?

But that said, this goes back to what we were talking about with prices and the electric grid.

Are people lining up to buy these things just because they feature blinding blue headlights?

Would they like them as much when they find out that when they burn out or fail, instead of costing 20 bucks for a sealed beam replacement or a plug in high intensity halogen bulb, an LED headlight "assembly" will cost them as much as three thousand dollars.

No...nobody sees these costs until it's too late and nobody asks why in the hell a new pickup truck costs 60 grand or more.

The automakers did it because someone thought it was hip, or cool, or green now, like lemmings, they all do it, to the point you have no choice.

Until someone sues them for a go-zillion dollars because a family member got killed when they wrecked because of being blinded by these goddamn things.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You realize this is tongue in cheek, right?
    Of course.

But this is how it works. For some reason in modern society, that the impulse. Something wrong? Government fix.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

AF, I'm right there with you, I feel what you're saying. Most of it is how they are adapted, in many cases the beam is very $#@!ty designed... It's usually too high, especially on trucks. I have Xenon's which are fine but on my previous car I replaced the halogens with LED (special ones that do not $#@! up the beam), simply because it will give you a better view of the road and the extra blue light in the spectrum will also keep you awake better. Let me know if I can sponsor you some LED replacement bulbs for your headlights (not sure they're legal where you are, they're not over here but they increase safety and I'm a responsible adults)...
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 02-19-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Freaking hi-blue high intensity LED vehicle headlights.

Especially the ones that GM uses in their trucks and SUVS.

Son of BITCH...these $#@!ing things blind me for half a mile, no matter what they are set at or what I try to do to mitigate it.

And everybody is starting to use the goddamn things.

That, and the auto-dimming systems. That's fine when you got two collapsed suns in your grill and the oncoming traffic picks it up and can dim a mile out.

But I drive old school $#@! that has two jam jars with glow worms for headlights.

$#@!'s sake...BAN THESE HAZARDs.

Or Imma do this.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by flightlesskiwi View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1613759865511.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	8026
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1613759865511.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	8026
    Do I have to explains ?
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Do I have to explains ?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    AF, I'm right there with you, I feel what you're saying. Most of it is how they are adapted, in many cases the beam is very $#@!ty designed... It's usually too high, especially on trucks.
    Part of that is because trucks keep getting physically taller and larger. Park a current-year truck next to an older version of the exact same truck and you'll see just how different they are. Today's 1/4 ton truck is as big as a previous generation 1/2 ton truck.

Last edited by TheCount; 02-24-2021 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Headlights Really Are Getting Harder on the Eyes

https://www.unz.com/isteve/headlight...r-on-the-eyes/

Steve Sailer • June 6, 2021

The car crash death rate has been trending upward along with the murder rate during recent years. 2020 was exceptionally unsafe per mile driven. One question I have had is whether any recent auto safety innovations have inadvertently led to getting more people killed. Headlights have been getting brighter, but are they now tending to blind oncoming traffic? Driving at night on the winding roads of the Hollywood Hills, where a lot of the cars are new and expensive with very bright LED headlights intended to make it safe for the drivers at high speeds without outrunning their headlights, can be hard on the eyes.

From the New York Times news section:

Blinded by Brighter Headlights? It’s Not Your Imagination.

The rising use of light-emitting diodes and the popularity of pickups and S.U.V.s have prompted complaints about the glare and intensity of headlights.

By Christopher Mele
    June 5, 2021

…“Sealed-beam” headlights were used from the 1950s through the 1980s, and generally offered poor light output. Halogens, with tungsten filaments and better output, appeared in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

High-intensity discharge lights, which cast a bright glow that approximates the spectrum of daylight, came in the late 1990s and early 2000s. In the 2010s, LEDs became popular because they were longer-lasting, energy-efficient and perceived by automakers as sexy and modern.

But they also prompted complaints that they were too much of a good thing. There is even a Facebook group and an online petition dedicated to banning blinding headlights. …

The trend toward improved headlight illumination has been fueled in part by manufacturers seeking higher safety ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Professor Kennedy said.

When the institute, an independent, nonprofit research group, released its first headlight ratings in 2016, only one headlight system of more than 80 that were evaluated received a “good” rating. As of March, more than a quarter of those tested received such a rating, the institute said. …

It was not just older drivers complaining, either.

The report said 11 percent of those who rated oncoming glare as disturbing were older than 65, and 45 percent were between 35 and 54 years old. Drivers 18 to 24 years old complained the most about glare from vehicles behind them.

Lights have gotten smaller over time, and “any given intensity appears brighter if it’s emitted by a smaller apparent surface versus a larger one,” said Daniel Stern, chief editor of Driving Vision News, a technical journal that covers the automotive lighting industry.

Have they defrosted headlights?

… LED and high-intensity discharge headlights can appear more blue in their output spectrum than halogens, and they often provoke “significantly stronger discomfort reactions” than warm white or yellowish lights, Mr. Stern said.

“Blue light is difficult for the human visual system to process because blue wavelengths tend to focus just ahead of the retina rather than on it,” he said. …

“Brightness” is not a term generally recognized by scientists and researchers, who refer instead to lumens, or the output of a light. Halogen lights put out 1,000 to 1,500 lumens, while high-intensity discharge lights and LEDs can measure 3,000 to 4,000 lumens.

So, they’ve made them brighter and smaller.

Blue lighting cause severe damage to the retina. They also have a flicker rate, and people who are epileptic or who are prone to seizures should drive with eye protection.

Experts say new, brighter headlights can actually hurt your vision
    https://www.wrtv.com/news/call-6-inv...rt-your-vision
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Now see? There IS a market based solution for almost every problem!
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Who had: "They will blame vax heart attacks on bright headlights" on their 2024 bingo card?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.