Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bloomberg: Natural gas, coal and nuclear played bigger role in blackouts than frozen turbines

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    There are fixed and variable rate plans depending on how you set up your contract with the supplier. (BTW, this varies by state)

But as AF and I have been discussing, what good is a variable rate plan if you don't have insight into the current rate you're paying? The problem with fixed rate plans is that the provider now has to eat the risk. You probably pay more each month, but with huge spikes like these, your supplier has a big incentive to limit their liability. In fact, this may send many of them out of business. So, their incentive to trigger blackouts is tremendous!

Think of the fixed rate plan like this: Your provider buys power on the open market and sells it to you. On a typical day, he makes a decent profit on what he sold you. But when the supply price goes up, you have zero incentive to trim your usage because you're still paying the same price. He's getting killed on every kWh he sells you! So, his incentive to stop you from using his power are HUGE!

The variable rate plans cushion the provider's loss, but the individual ratepayer is probably unaware of the current (pardon the pun) cost of the kWh that they're using. So again, they have an incentive to shed their load, but they can't respond because they don't even realize what's happening. They just know it's cold outside and their shoddily-insulated homes need juice to stay warm.
    Personally I'd rather have blackouts than a 10,000 bill. I can always buy a generator(although I'm too lazy to).

That was a good explanation, thanks!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Personally I'd rather have blackouts than a 10,000 bill. I can always buy a generator(although I'm too lazy to).

That was a good explanation, thanks!
    Better have fuel before the gas station loses power.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That doesn't happen to a pile of coal.
    I watch Trainloads pass by me all the time.
    Who is using it? or where is it being sold? always cross my mind.,, because I have not been able to for years.

There are a LOT of ways to produce Electricity..

Power distribution is THE issue.. Has been an ongoing problem.

and the Battery Tech (Better Power Storage) that make Portable power possible,, could also minimize waste and Strengthen a Grid Infrastructure.

And a simple improvement would be putting transmission lines underground.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I watch Trainloads pass by me all the time.
    Who is using it? or where is it being sold? always cross my mind.,, because I have not been able to for years.

There are a LOT of ways to produce Electricity..

Power distribution is THE issue.. Has been an ongoing problem.

and the Battery Tech (Better Power Storage) that make Portable power possible,, could also minimize waste and Strengthen a Grid Infrastructure.

And a simple improvement would be putting transmission lines underground.

My dad was an Architect, always advocated for under ground wires. But what about rodents chewing on them or tree roots?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    My dad was an Architect, always advocated for under ground wires. But what about rodents chewing on them or tree roots?
    The cost to bury lines is insane. You'll see that in the new developments that have everything dug up anyway. Pad mounted transformers will dot the development. But the distribution and transmission lines bringing power to the development's edge are always aerial.

From my experience, the costs are high because you have to get permits, dig trenches, set a gravel base, get it inspected, install conduit, run the lines, maybe get it inspected again, fill with gravel, then bury and tamp. Depending on the particulars, depths, ground type, and municipalities, this could be anywhere from $1-5 million per mile.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Conduit?
    http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/2007/06/...despart-2.html
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Once again, Ron Paul nails it.

And he's not even a energy policy expert. He just understands economics.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12