Thread: Let's talk COMMs....

Let's talk COMMs....

OK, straight off, this is not my area, so I'm going to rely on knowledgeable forum members.

I'm not talking "sailfawns" here. I'm talking radio devices.

I suppose the first order is that one gets an "scanner" so that police and emergency radio frequencies can be scanned to suss out situations as they happen. I've heard Uniden is a brand that is tried and true.

What to use to communicate between a, say, seven man team within 1 mile of each other.

How to communicate with those within a 5-10 mile area? Neighbors. CB?

And at a National/World level I suppose one would have to get a HAM radio. Do you need a license just to listen or only if transmitting?

Again. Comms are not my thing. So any advise is appreciated.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    OK, straight off, this is not my area, so I'm going to rely on knowledgeable forum members.

I'm not talking "sailfawns" here. I'm talking radio devices.

I suppose the first order is that one gets an "scanner" so that police and emergency radio frequencies can be scanned to suss out situations as they happen. I've heard Uniden is a brand that is tried and true.

What to use to communicate between a, say, seven man team within 1 mile of each other.

How to communicate with those within a 5-10 mile area? Neighbors. CB?

And at a National/World level I suppose one would have to get a HAM radio. Do you need a license just to listen or only if transmitting?

Again. Comms are not my thing. So any advise is appreciated.
    I can tell you that you don't need a license to listen. Back in the 1970s we had a radio we bought from Radio Shack (miss that store) that, among other things, let you listen to HAM and shortwave.

See: https://hamradioplanet.com/ham-radio...ortwave-radio/

From what I've heard getting a HAM license isn't hard especially after the Morse Code requirement was dropped.

A CB radio would be good. For team chat I would want some kind of encrypted option. This looks promising.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...term=encrypted

http://ratsys.net/
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

For team comms of 0-10 miles

GMRS/FRS radios.

https://www.amazon.com/GXT1000VP4-Ch...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

For mid range distances, marine VHF with encryption or CB with linear amps.

For long distances MF marine single sideband.

I lean toward all the marine stuff not because of my internal biases, but because they are cheaper, easier to use and more common.

Just make sure they do not have internal GPS capability.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan