Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TX-Half of Texas wind power, over 12k megawatts offline due to cold weather, blackouts result

Lived for years in South Florida in various spots from Northern Palm Beach to the Keys and even the Bahamas for a while, including South Beach Miami.

For me, it drove me nuts...constant heat and humidity, endless summer, crowds, traffic, land as flat and featureless as a cast iron skillet and just as hot.

Nah, not for me...been back in the cold and snow for almost thirty years now.

That's where I come from, that's home.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Lived for years in South Florida in various spots from Northern Palm Beach to the Keys and even the Bahamas for a while, including South Beach Miami.

For me, it drove me nuts...constant heat and humidity, endless summer, crowds, traffic, land as flat and featureless as a cast iron skillet and just as hot.

Grew up in Florida. Moved back twice and just couldn't take it. I agree with your assessment. However, New Hampshire would just be too cold for me. I like calling North Carolina home. If the damn half-backs would just stay away.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Keep in mind that the climate cultists want to eliminate natural gas, which many people use for heat...
    Its probably the single most efficient heat source so yeah of course
    Do something Danke

Keep in mind that the climate cultists want to eliminate natural gas, which many people use for heat...
    Last edited by sparebulb; 02-16-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Hundreds of millions.

A great many people get their electricity from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Now we get to see how tough Texans really are.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

"No heat? How dare you complain! Just deal with it, peon!"

"Climate change" apparatchik gets in trouble for saying the quiet part out loud ...

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/statu...64750676250625

Massachusetts climate official proposes targeting regular people who heat their homes: 'We have to break your will'
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ple-break-will
    Michael Lee (07 February 2021)

[bold emphasis added - OB]

A Massachusetts climate official said people who heat their homes and fuel their cars will need to have their “will” broken in order to combat emissions and climate change.

“I know one thing that we found in our analysis is that 60% of our emissions come from … residential heating and passenger vehicles,” said David Ismay, Massachusetts, undersecretary for climate change, during a virtual meeting with the Vermont Climate Council. “Let me say that again: 60% of our emissions that need to be reduced come from you, the person on your street, the senior on fixed-income. Right now, there is no bad guy left, at least in Massachusetts, to point the finger at and turn the screws on and now break their will, so they stop emitting. That’s you. We have to break your will.

Ismay reasoned that climate agencies were running out of options.

“We can’t have no offshore wind, no transmission, no solar, and have clean energy,” he said. “Something has to give. There has to be some mechanism we trust to find a place to site a transmission line.”

But Ismay also admitted his remarks would not be popular.

“I can’t even say that publicly,” Ismay said.

That prediction seemingly came to fruition when the state’s Republican Gov. Charlie Baker got wind of the statements, which he insisted “no one who works in our administration should ever say or think.”

“First of all, no one who works in our administration should ever say or think anything like that,” Baker said. “Secondly, Secretary Theoharides is going to have a conversation with him about that. And third, one of the main reasons we didn’t sign the climate bill when it got to our desk was because we were specifically concerned about the impact it was going to have on people’s ability to pay for many of the pieces that were in it, which means it also doesn’t represent administration policy or position.”

The Massachusetts Fiscal Alliance also weighed in on the clip, calling it “frightening” that someone with as much power as Ismay was calling for such proposals.

“It’s frightening to think an official so high up in the Baker administration is bragging to an out-of-state group about the economic pain he wants to inflict on the very people who he’s supposed to work for,” Paul Craney, a spokesman MFA, told Commonwealth Magazine. “Remarks like this have no place in state government. Ismay should be dismissed from his position in state government, as he’s clearly demonstrated he does not have the best interests of the residents of Massachusetts at heart.”
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 02-16-2021 at 11:14 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

HA! Too late!

Everything is public these days. But very gracious of him to admit the purpose of government. Even if he thought it was just to a few chosen like-minded elite.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

"Yay, wind power! Boo, fossil fuels! Boo! Hiss!"

https://twitter.com/lukelegate/statu...49723072208896

Surprised that TX had started using wind mills for electric, that kinda pro-environment, anti-climate change stuff usually embraced by liberal and progressives states like CA. TX is home of many oil wells and harcore conservatives like Ted Cruz, CUFI, Cowboys for J ... even their GOP chair still was some Iraq war SWC.
    Mind boggling.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    HA! Too late!

Everything is public these days. But very gracious of him to admit the purpose of government. Even if he thought it was just to a few chosen like-minded elite.
    It's getting to the point where they can and will actually say it publicly.

Several days ago, AF started a thread about this Ismay $#@!'s comments.

At the end of the article he posted is the following tidbit (bold emphasis added):

Biden climate envoy John Kerry, who flew to Iceland on a private jet to receive a climate award in 2019, recently suggested that people have nine years to “try to do what science is telling us we need to do” and save the world from so-called manmade climate change.

The climate hawk has continued to defend his private jet usage, describing the mode of transportation as “the only choice for somebody like me who is traveling the world to win this battle.”
    It is absolutely certain that the "somebod[ies] like [Kerry and Ismay]" will not be going without heat (or jet fuel, etc.) whenever they want it. And like Kerry and Ismay, they are increasingly brazen about saying so while declaring that the hoi polloi can just eat cake ...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Hundreds of millions.

A great many people get their electricity from it.
    More could,, Independently.

https://www.wattfuelcell.com/uses/rv/
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Surprised that TX had started using wind mills for electric, that kinda pro-environment, anti-climate change stuff usually embraced by liberal and progressives states like CA. TX is home of many oil wells and harcore conservatives like Ted Cruz, CUFI, Cowboys for J ... even their GOP chair still was some Iraq war SWC.
    Mind boggling.
    It's the oil companies that are funding it.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Mind boggling.
    Parts of TX like Austin are very liberal. As I understand it they all moved there from CA.

I haven't decided yet. I like the northeast ok too. Powder snow doesn't bother me much. I hate the ice storms and the sloppy slushy mess. I'm not happy unless I live near the ocean and the coast of Maine tends to be really sloppy most of the winter lately.

Getting used to the humidity. I'm not running the AC to aclimate even when it's mid 80's and 90%.

"No heat? How dare you complain! Just deal with it, peon!"

"Climate change" apparatchik gets in trouble for saying the quiet part out loud ...

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/statu...64750676250625
    Well, here are two "broken wills" that David Ismay and his ilk won't have to worry about anymore ...

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1361711548058767364

And six more ...

FTA: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...h=7c4b7f5f5eb4
    This is the second reported carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Houston since widespread power outages began Monday morning. A family of six—including four children—was hospitalized Monday afternoon after reportedly using a charcoal grill to heat their apartment. One of the children and one of the adults are in critical condition. Over a million in the Houston area were left without power overnight on Monday, the city’s coldest night since 1989.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 02-16-2021 at 05:48 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Now, add 8 million plus EVs drawing massive amounts of power to recharge, and see what happens.

Half of Texas Wind Turbines Freeze, Hurting Electricity Output

https://www.breitbart.com/environmen...ricity-output/

Joel B. Pollak 15 Feb 2021

Nearly half of the wind turbines in the state of Texas froze in recent winter weather, hurting state power supplies, according to state authorities.

The Austin American-Statesman reported Sunday:

Nearly half of Texas’ installed wind power generation capacity has been offline because of frozen wind turbines in West Texas, according to Texas grid operators.

Wind farms across the state generate up to a combined 25,100 megawatts of energy. But unusually moist winter conditions in West Texas brought on by the weekend’s freezing rain and historically low temperatures have iced many of those wind turbines to a halt.

As of Sunday morning, those iced turbines comprise 12,000 megawatts of Texas’ installed wind generation capacity, although those West Texas turbines don’t typically spin to their full generation capacity this time of year.

The outlet noted that the loss of power was largely offset by the fact that the remaining turbines were spinning quickly because of strong winter storm winds.

Millions of electricity customers across Texas suffered blackouts, partly due to the problems with the turbines, as the Washington Post reported:

Millions of households in Texas are suffering rolling power blackouts for the first time in a decade as an unprecedented Arctic freeze wrought chaos in U.S. energy markets.

The largest cities from Houston to San Antonio were without power for spells of up to an hour at a time as supplies in the U.S.’s second largest state fluctuated wildly.

The power crunch is being compounded by a lack of wind generation to help ease the load with output more than halving to 4.2 gigawatts from earlier. Wind turbines may freeze in bitterly cold weather, reducing efficiency and the blades can ultimately stopping spinning.

The problems in Texas echo difficulties with renewable energy that California experienced during a heat wave in September, when there were rolling blackouts because there was no wind, while overcast skies meant there was little solar energy.

Wind supplies 23% of the energy in Texas and has been growing rapidly in the state. Texas is also the leading producer of wind energy in the nation.
    And so my fellow Americans , Texas' experience proves that "The Green New Deal" Sucks the big wiener

.DON'T TAX ME BRO!!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men." -- Samuel Adams (1722-1803)

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...heast-blackout

How is the Failure of an Aged Power distribution system equated to a Failure of Power production?

The "Grids" need to be done away with. Bad system.. Repeated Failures.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Texas’ power outages compared to Hurricane Harvey

by: Samantha Garza
    Updated: Feb 16, 2021 / 06:43 AM CST
    Harlingen, Texas (KVEO) – As thousands of families in the Rio Grande Valley lost power due to the winter storm, experts are comparing the damage to Hurricane Harvey.
    Reports of power outages in the Rio Grande Valley started at 9:30 p.m. Sunday night, and have continued through Monday.

If this is true comparison, magnitude of such a an event may guide TX governor/legislature to temporarily suspend any restrictions on businesses/contractors like below if there is any chance that such First Amendment restrictions could be slowing down recovery efforts. All hands need to be on the deck.
    Court in AK just did that but TX courts may not be able to act in timely fashion under current conditions even if they wanted to.

To Get Hurricane Rebuilding Contracts, Texas Contractors Must Pledge Not to Boycott Israel

Losing 25% of production makes little difference in a 90% inoperable distribution system.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Texas mayor resigns after backlash from tweet

Last edited by tfurrh; 02-17-2021 at 06:16 AM.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post

Personal responsibility?

$#@! that.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by tfurrh View Post

Well he really isn't wrong. Nevertheless, this should come as a lesson to all; green energy is not the answer to our problems, the people pushing for it is.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Well he really isn't wrong. Nevertheless, this should come as a lesson to all; green energy is not the answer to our problems, the people pushing for it is.
    He is wrong. When you pay the power company for electricity, they owe you electricity. It's the power company's responsibility to provide it, and setup a reliable distribution network.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt4Liberty View Post
    He is wrong. When you pay the power company for electricity, they owe you electricity. It's the power company's responsibility to provide it, and setup a reliable distribution network.
    Really? Do you pay them for it before or after they deliver it to you?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peace Piper View Post
    Please don't tell a sole that wind energy is a complete fraud as it costs so much energy to produce and remove them that it isn't cost efficient.

I wouldn't want to hurt Queen Elizabeth's financial interests (a propaganda video from the British Brainwashing Corporation paid for by the taxpayer!).
    Green-energy-is-big-business#post6887142
    Do NOT ever read my posts. Google and Yahoo wouldn’t block them without a very good reason: Google-censors-the-world/page3

The Order of the Garter rules the world: Order of the Garter and the Carolingian dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Really? Do you pay them for it before or after they deliver it to you?
    You pay for the distribution network since you sign up. Ever notice that "distribution fees" nowadays are more than the actual service. On top of that, the government only allows one company in your area, and specifically bans competition. Their whole argument for allowing monopoly status to these entities is because it's supposed to give them the resources to keep their grid reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Please don't tell a sole that wind energy is a complete fraud as it costs so much energy to produce and remove them that it isn't cost efficient.

I wouldn't want to hurt Queen Elizabeth's financial interests (a propaganda video from the British Brainwashing Corporation paid for by the taxpayer!).
    Green-energy-is-big-business#post6887142
    Plus wind energy by definition saps energy from the wind. Which is pretty much directly contributing to climate change.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Matt4Liberty View Post
    You pay for the distribution network since you sign up. Ever notice that "distribution fees" nowadays are more than the actual service. On top of that, the government only allows one company in your area, and specifically bans competition. Their whole argument for allowing monopoly status to these entities is because it's supposed to give them the resources to keep their grid reliable.
    You pay for the distribution fees as part of the electricity that you already consumed. In other words, they bill you for what you enjoyed - including fees to maintain the system that provided it to you.

I understand your point, but you phrased it poorly. They don't "owe" you electricity. You use it and then they bill you for it. When the grid goes down, you're not paying for something that you're not getting.

That being said, the grid in the US is extremely reliable. It will never be 100%. There will always be hiccups in distribution, but a free market would resolve those quickly. In this case, the major issues are not at the distribution level, but the supply level. Demand rapidly increased and there were constraints on supply. If you don't allow the price to fluctuate beyond the government-imposed caps, then shortages will happen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast