Thread: IS IT CONSTITUTIONAL TO TRY A FORMER PRESIDENT? (YES or NO)

Cool IS IT CONSTITUTIONAL TO TRY A FORMER PRESIDENT? (YES or NO)

They are now voting... and then the trial starts up tomorrow.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The legal answer is likely the same as the practical one: it's constitutional if the Senate says it is. The Supreme Court would likely never get involved in determining the issue based on the majority opinion in Nixon v. United States, 506 U.S. 224 (1993), involving the impeachment of federal judge Walter Nixon. Six justices were of the opinion that since the Constitution gives the Senate "the sole power to try all impeachments" issues involving impeachment trials are not reviewable by the judiciary.
    We have long had death and taxes as the two standards of inevitability. But there are those who believe that death is the preferable of the two. "At least," as one man said, "there's one advantage about death; it doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
    Erwin N. Griswold

Taxes: Of life's two certainties, the only one for which you can get an automatic extension.
    Anonymous

If we're going to impeach former presidents, then we better get articles of impeachment for Carter,Clinton,Bush, and Obama.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

I think no. It is certainly a waste of time and resources. I think Trump is guilty, but also think he's gone it's over and there is no point in dragging this out.

Jerry Ford had been very kind to Richard Milhous Nixon, his pardon of the man prevents the humiliation
    of an impeachment one or two decades after the term in office. My bias is for a thorough trial that is in
    close proximity time*wise to the offense or deed the president has committed. A delay is either strategic
    and lets people cool down, or it obscures the truth of the matter as one's memory fades away. There has
    to be a balance. Anything too hurried becomes a lynch mob or worse, anything too delayed seems petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    They are now voting... and then the trial starts up tomorrow.
    Obviously not since the chief justice decided not to preside it has already been determined not to be.
    Do something Danke

Cool Today's phase is 1.) Constitutional 2.) Needed and... 3.) In the spirit of our Laws

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Obviously not since the chief justice decided not to preside it has already been determined not to be.
    Andrew Johnson had more than ample time to get his self impeached a second time between May of 1868 and March of 1869.
    Yes, he was not on the fall ballot of 1868, and no...he cannot say an election was stolen from him, but if he was aware of who
    BLOUNT was, he'd have known a retiring official can also be impeached for what they did in office, let alone a very retired one.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is impeachment's phase that many assume must be more like a criminal trial than it currently is...

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...mpeachment.htm

https://www.senate.gov/about/powers-..._expulsion.htm

.................................................. .................................................. ................

Despite Blount's absence, his impeachment trial began in the Senate on December 17, 1798, and quickly focused on the Senate's right to try an expelled senator. In a narrow vote, the Senate defeated a resolution that asserted William Blount was an impeachable officer. In this vote, the Senate failed to make clear whether its decision stemmed from a belief that no senator could be impeached or from the belief that someone who ceased to hold a "civil office" also ceased to be impeachable.

Both Republicans and Federalists found it awkward to take political advantage of the Blount case. Federalist proponents of impeachment were in the uncomfortable position of supporting a House move to impeach a senator, thus compromising the Senate’s independence of the lower chamber. Republican supporters of Blount, on the other hand, faced the double dilemma of defending both the Federalist Senate and the treasonous Tennessean who had sought to benefit Great Britain, the nation the Federalists were often accused of favoring.

As for Blount, his Washington difficulties had no adverse effect on his popularity in Tennessee. Shortly after his return home, Blount won a seat in the state senate, became speaker of that body, and continued to serve there until his death in 1800.

Source: U.S. Senate Historical Office, United States Senate Election, Expulsion and Censure Cases: 1793-1990 (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1995), pp. 13-15.

"The Senate's actions on July 8 were actually contradictory: while attempting to ensure that Blount would be present at his impeachment trial, it simultaneously declared him already guilty when it voted to expel him. In the succeeding months, the Senate unsuccessfully sought to take custody of Blount and return him to the capital. Although Blount graciously received the acting Senate sergeant at arms at his home, the unrepentant Tennessean's supporters and state authorities warned the official to make no attempt to remove their friend." BLOUNT's EXPULSION LINK

A hollow PUMPKIN, a CD_ROM, a cute CORVETTE and a ((((DRUMROLLS))) LAPTOP

Is poor Barack Obama more guilty than Joe Biden? Jumping VEEP Biden for Obama's attempt
    at creating adult literacy teach~a~ble moments seems unfair, in light of DONALD JOHN TRUMP's
    Florida estate READER's DIGEST READING ROOM for any and all British Intelligence day reports.

WAY WAY WAY BACK DURING THE TRUMAN ADMINISTRATION WHITTiKER CHAMBERS
    TOOK CONGRESSMAN RICHARD MILHOUSE NIXON TO A PUMPKIN IN A PUMPKIN PATCH.
    https://www.amazon.com/Court-Public-.../dp/0060902930

POTUS Joe Biden owns a nice lil ole corvette.

Mister/Miss Manning was a LADY GAGA fan.... (OBAMA gave him a pardon)

Hillary's emails ended up on a certain laptop....
    Last edited by Aratus; 01-14-2023 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Should i do a poll about security breaches?

DANG.... ALGER HISS denied typing up the FDR ADMIN documents on that late 1940s microfilm.
    He might have been totally innocent, he did know the guy who did edits on HENRY LUCE's snarky
    and gossipy "rag mag" over-priced instance of mass media. CHAMBERS must have typed each one
    on that ole WOODSTOCK on different days. IMOHO. He created the microfilm. He could have mayhap
    borrowed the Woodstock. BIDEN CANNOT SLAM THE LAW ON TRUMP< NOT WITHOUT looking like
    a total hypocritical idiot. Obama copied GEORGE WALKEER BUSH, he improved his VEEP's reading
    skills and access. Trump had this thingie about Hillary's server and aide's access. Ms. WEINER...

Cool Biden's LIL RED CORVETTE? ....or is it some other color?

My poll about the bigger security disaster...
    and KGB and/or NKVD Russian spies... (((((DRUMROLLS)))))

Keep in mind that RICHARD CHENEY in true DARTH VADER mode
    was accused of being the SHRUB's functional 2nd brain
    becuz the W at times seemed to be using the same.

A. THE CORVETTE in the LOCKED garage!!!!

B. THE MICROFILM THAT WAS CREATED/DEVELOPED IN 1947

C. THE LADY GAGA CD that was ACTUALLY A MISLABELED CD-ROM

D. THAT DANG LAPTOP THAT HAD THE EMAILS.

E. HUNTER BIDEN (especially if he ever drove his father's car)
    Last edited by Aratus; 01-14-2023 at 08:26 AM. Reason: :):):):):):):):)

[Lyrics]

LITTLE RED CORVETTE

I guess I should've known
    By the way you parked your car sideways
    That it wouldn't last
    See, you're the kinda person that believes in makin' out once
    Love 'em and leave 'em fast
    I guess I must be dumb
    'Cause you had a pocket full of horses
    Trojan and some of them used
    But it was Saturday night, I guess that makes it all right
    And you say, "What have I got to lose?"
    And honey, I say
    Little Red Corvette
    Baby, you're much too fast (Oh, oh)
    Little Red Corvette
    You need a love that's gonna last
    I guess I should've closed my eyes
    When you drove me to the place where your horses run free
    'Cause I felt a little ill when I saw all the pictures
    Of the jockeys that were there before me
    Believe it or not, I started to worry
    I wondered if I had enough class
    But it was Saturday night, I guess that makes it all right
    And you say: "Baby, have you got enough gas?"
    Oh yeah
    Little Red Corvette
    Baby, you're much too fast
    Yes, you are
    Little Red Corvette
    You need to find a love that's gonna last
    Oh oh
    Ooh ooh ooh
    Ooh ooh ooh
    A body like yours
    Oughta be in jail
    'Cause it's on the verge of bein' obscene
    Now, move over, baby
    Gimme the keys
    I'm gonna try to tame your little red love machine
    Little Red Corvette
    Baby, you're much too fast
    Little Red Corvette
    Need to find a lover that's gonna last
    Little Red Corvette (Ooh)
    Honey, you got to slow down
    (Got to slow down)
    Little Red Corvette
    'Cause if you don't, you're gonna run your little red corvette
    Right in the ground
    (Little Red Corvette)
    Right down to the ground
    (Honey, you got to slow down)
    You, you, you got to slow down
    (Little Red Corvette)
    You're movin' much too fast, too fast
    Need to find a love that's gonna last
    Oh ooh ooh ooh ooh
    Girl, you got an ass like I never seen
    And the ride
    I say, the ride is so smooth
    You must be a Limousine
    Oh, baby, you're much too fast
    Little Red Corvette
    You need a love
    You need a love that's, uh, that's gonna last
    (Little Red Corvette)
    Babe, you got to slow down
    (You got to slow down)
    Little Red Corvette
    'Cause if you don't, 'cause if you don't
    You're gonna run your body right into the ground
    (Right into the ground)
    Right into the ground
    (Right into the ground)
    Right into the ground
    (Right into the ground)
    Ooh ooh ooh whoo
    Ooh ooh ooh
    Ooh ooh ooh
    Ooh ooh ooh

Source: Musixmatch
    Songwriters: Prince Rogers Nelson
    Little Red Corvette lyrics © Npg Publishing

Lightbulb ALGER HISS = INNOCENT

Maybe HARRY DEXTER WHITE and WHITTiKER CHAMBERS were rather guilty of being spies
    and the last ignoble task CHAMBERS did for his clever MOSCOW in the USSR NKVD handlers
    sets FDR's loyal aide royally for one helluva "$#@! kicker" IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION!!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    HECK.... if the HOUSE of REPRESENTATIVES is very honest.... IT SHOULD IMPEACH
    BARACK OBAMA and DONALD TRUMP within an hour of each other. Just jumping
    Biden for this mess is slightly unfair and very parisan!!!! An out of office POTUS can
    be restricted from other public offices by a SENATE conviction after an impeachment.

KEVIN McCARTHY = INCOMPETENT ....he is a joke, a clown

yep.... a partisan political hack

dang.

JOHN QUINCY ADAMS entered THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, he was sworn in AFTER he was our POTUS.
    ANDREW JOHNSON got sworn back into his old SENATE seat and passes away in 1875. Trust me on this!!!!!

maybe maybe maybe we all should restrict both Barack H. Obama and Donald J. Trump
    from ANY new d.c area high public offices for the good of the Republic. FAIR IS FAIR...

ALGER HISS sat in prison because Whittiker Chambers had committed both HIGH TREASON and low treason for BERIA's NKVD!!!!!!